apparently has launched?

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

apparently has launched?

Post by VonVulcan »

Downloading the demo right now.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: apparently has launched?

Post by Top Gun »

Did you get the chance to give it a try? I'm not even sure if the game will run on my current system, but I'd at least be interested in knowing how it turned out, so I can plop it on the good ol' Steam wishlist if I need to.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I played with it a little bit last night. It chugged my i7 notebook a bit but I didn't do any tweaking. Joystick support is very limited but if your a mouser you should be fine. I might have more time this weekend to play with it but I doubt my machine will do it justice.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by roncli »

I picked it up, had a Visa gift card lying around with $20 on it and nabbed it on Steam. Runs a bit sluggish on my 5870, but I also have a Q9300 too, so that may be choking it some, too. Haven't played enough of it to form a solid opinion just yet. I wish I had more time to put into it.

But the keyboard controls are dead on. Problem is I haven't played Descent in so long (According to these savegames it's been about 6 years since I even ran through the single player campaigns), nothing comes natural like it used to. :( I suppose that'll change with time, though, should I get into this one.
roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by roncli »

Getting used to the game...

It's kind of a cross between Descent 3's controls and combat (if you like vauss and concs, anyway, haven't found anything stronger yet) and Eve's missions and mining gameplay. I've played a few missions and did some exploring, but just haven't been able to get into the game too much yet.

The game is quite buggy, especially with framerate issues. In the middle of a mission the framerate will just *drop*, and you either die or pause it in time to change video quality settings to recover. It also crashes a lot when alt-tabbing, which is extremely frustrating if I've spent the last 30 minutes mining, and then lose it all because I didn't change sectors to save.

Oh, and there's no chording. :( With the game's fuel resource, it wouldn't be a stretch to add it, and just make it cost 2x or 3x more fuel, depending on how many directions you're chording in. (3 if you're doing it right. ^_^)

I'd like to try the multiplayer aspect of it at some point, but there haven't been any deathmatch games going on. I started one up, and it gives you bots. Pretty boring, actually. Hopefully it's better with actual players in the game.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

It also crashes a lot when alt-tabbing, which is extremely frustrating if I've spent the last 30 minutes mining, and then lose it all because I didn't change sectors to save.
Odd. I had that problem in the alpha but not since the beta started at least. In fact right now I'm switching between the editor and classic Doctor Who episodes :P and it isn't giving me problems. I haven't had a crash for a month at least.
They're still releasing updates regularly through steam and their own updater, so you should go to their site and report the bugs. I think they made a conscious decision not to include trichording in order to lessen the learning curve compared to Descent and make the game more accessible to new players; but you're welcome to take that up with them as well.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by roncli »

Re: chording, That's good to know, and I can accept that.

After having played it a bunch I posted some feedback on their website. Unfortunately, I'm completely stuck on the storyline as I can't load one of the maps, so I'm waiting on support to get back to me to tell me what I need to do, or if I have to wait for an upgrade.

It's not a Descent replacer, but it's close and definitely belongs in the genre of 6DoF titles. Game's got a lot of promise, but feels unfinished. The fact that "errupted" made it through testing is kind of telling. :)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

This game is getting a sh*t kicking on STEAM forums. It's very badly made and not fir for release and people are saying the DRM wasn't supposed to be included but is.

Glad I didn't fork out for this game.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by roncli »

Yeah, the game admittedly is deserving the beating it's getting. They've straight up come out and said that MW2081 is just a revenue springboard to get the MMO going. I think they're going about it wrong. They've put out a subpar product, and definitely shouldn't expect people to be on board with the MMO after this. If you want people to buy the MMO, make the first product work good.

It's why Blizzard was able to get away with Diablo III. They have a history of putting out great products. They release a bomb called Diablo III and everyone buys it because it's got Blizzard's stamp on it.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Just a quick note, when those guys got funding they suddenly fell off the Skype map and disconnected their ties with the volunteers who got their project off the ground. No "Thanks for all you have done" official good bye or anything, just a straight up "Hey we got our money, ★■◆● YOU" disappearing act. They kept a few guys but basically ★■◆● on all the others, including myself. I put in a ton of work on that project, and offered in every meeting to help them with gameplay, etc - all the factors that are missing from their game, but all they cared about was their own goals. They openly admitted not giving a ★■◆● about Descent, or emulating any part of it on every occasion I brought it up. Their poor planning, misleading information, vacant leadership, hidden agendas, and disorganized production came all the way through and now they are reaping exactly what they sowed on the Steam forums.

At this point we all have seen enough of this ★■◆●, and I have decided it's time to reveal what I have been up to. No more working for other people. No more tagging along on other people's half assed attempts at a proper 6DOF shooter. No more trying to talk to the Descent community on behalf of guys who oversell their projects and lie to the community and try to look bigger than they are. My loyalty has always been to the pilots and the game, and I have spent way too much time trying to help other people out and smooth over their lies and mistakes just so we could have a game. I have gotten burnt every goddamn time, and through that you all got burnt too, and I apologize for that. That is all over now. They have all lost their chance to have things done right.

It is time.

No DRM
No bullcrap.
Linux Support.
Lan Support.
Full and multiple joystick support.
Competition grade gameplay.

GEOCORE:

Progress updates and Steam group at:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/geocore

Main Website:
http://geo-core.net
There's just enough religion in the world to make men hate one another but not enough to make them love.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I think you have a point, but...
The problem with people is that when we become obsessed with the faults of others we fail to see the same faults in ourselves.
The problem with this community is that it is a community of very strong willed people. When one of us has a strong creative vision we will not see it compromised. I think that's a big reason why none of our projects have ever worked ;). I hope you can change that :D.
The reason I like the UDK project so much is because it's a project from outside this community with people who want to work together to come up with something together, something which none of them could come up with alone. Inspiring, eh?
I hope you have a team of people who are committed to your idea and working alongside you to achieve that goal -- without that your project is going to go nowhere -- but sooner or later, leading a team, you'll have to make some of these same decisions you're so... verbose... about, and you'll make some people very angry and they'll storm off. Or you'll have to send them away yourself, which is probably the worse option. It's part of being a leader. I know that from real life experience.
Just make sure you realize what you're doing when that happens.

I don't think it's a good idea to make a post whose only purpose is to blatantly advertise your own competing product in a board intended specifically for another one, though. No matter how much valid disdain you have for the latter product, I think you'll only succeed in making that product's supporters all the more angry at you because it makes your ranting look dishonest. It isn't good advertising.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
runewake2
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by runewake2 »

A pity a serious project was picked up in UDK. With almost any other engine it would be better.

Anyway, Miner Wars is a disappointment, when I could play the demo I had to quit because it was so bad. Lets hope that one of the many other projects can do the genre justice.

It's a disaster that the first major game in the genre in the past 10 years or so should fail so miserably. It doesn't bode well for the genre to see more significant games.

What we do need now is a game that can show the world what a 6DoF space game can do. It is my belief that Miner Wars has not healed any of the wounds that Descent left when it imploded.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

I agree with what you say about posting in a competitor's space, and that is exactly why I haven't posted anywhere but here about my personal experiences with the other projects I have worked on. I don't post on the MW forums or their Steam forums. This post was aimed directly at all my friends and to all who have followed my harrowing journey through working with the guys behind the projects I have worked on. I do not consider this to be a board intended specifically for that project, rather a place to share with my fellow pilots and be myself. Not to mention I was the one that requested this subforum for Miner Wars when I was working with them, which is why I feel it is relevant to post here.

As far as needing a team to get this done, of course more people would help but I have been working on it for 6 years and I have no intention of stopping. I have more than a team of people committed to the idea, I have the entire 6DOF community and this project is something they will be able to get behind and feel good about. I think people are passionate about the best games, and Descent is the best of the best. Its players display a level of passion worthy of it. I respect that and partake in it, and it is the same thing that drives me to make Geocore the best tribute it can be to the 6DOF genre.

I am not sure what UDK project you mean, I am assuming the Descent remake? My game is a new original addition to the few 6DOF titles out there, using the elements established by Descent, Forsaken, and other titles that created the genre of 6DOF Shooter, as well as featuring classic and brand new anarchy maps made by two of the best mappers in the Descent community (Jeff "Vander" Vandermark and Roy "INTERNETRACECAR" Farrell). It is far from something I came up with alone. Years of listening, questioning, researching, chatting, and information gathering from the existing community of pilots are what goes into my project, it is not a personal vision so much as the culmination of 15 years of absorbing and paying close attention to the Descent community, asking what the people love and want in a 6DOF title, and regardless of whether I have to execute it all myself or if I have the pleasure of directing a team, it WILL be completed, short of me dropping dead before it's done.
There's just enough religion in the world to make men hate one another but not enough to make them love.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Not to necro but...this topic was referenced in comments here:

http://themittani.com/features/creation ... -engineers

I feel morally obligated to point out that this developer has a long and sordid history of shady dealings. Prior to their success with Space Engineers, public opinion of their efforts was very different.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/...
viewt...

Chances are quite high that some of the code you're enjoying was written by volunteers for Miner Wars in response to what ultimately proved to be empty promises, then re-used for Space Engineers. The end result (Miner Wars) was later released to public domain, but how it all went down and the history remain.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager