Event Horizon

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

Paul
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Event Horizon

Post by Paul »

Hi, everyone! I'd like to introduce to a project I've been working on for awhile now, Event Horizon. It is inspired by Ambrosia's Escape Velocity, for those of you familiar with that game, but 3D. You fly around the galaxy in a spaceship, landing on planets in different systems to get missions or carry cargo to make money. Then you can buy a better ship, better weapons, etc. You can engage with other spaceships while you are flying, including attacking them or being attacked.

It is OS X only at this time, but it is written largely in Cocoa, allowing easy porting of large parts to any NextStep-enabled platform.

Plugins start at an XML level for basic entity creation, but there is also scripting for missions, and executable code can be loaded for extensions to the game engine.

I welcome all comments/suggestion/bug reports, or anything else you may wish to say. :)
Differentiation is an integral part of calculus.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the DBB, I've setup this forum to help bring attention to the community.

Since we are basically the oldest 6DoF community and the game we love is getting old, I wanted to use this space to help promote 6DoF efforts.

Welcome to the DBB, hopefully you will find us a pleasent group, although I would imagine the FreeSpace people are closer to your game than Descent was/is :)

Thanks for joining us!

KB
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Event Horizon

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Paul wrote:Hi, everyone! I'd like to introduce to a project I've been working on for awhile now, Event Horizon. It is inspired by Ambrosia's Escape Velocity, for those of you familiar with that game, but 3D. You fly around the galaxy in a spaceship, landing on planets in different systems to get missions or carry cargo to make money. Then you can buy a better ship, better weapons, etc. You can engage with other spaceships while you are flying, including attacking them or being attacked.
While I don't mean to discourage you, have you ever played Vendetta Online or X2:The Threat? Let's just say that the descriptions match.
Paul wrote:It is OS X only at this time, but it is written largely in Cocoa, allowing easy porting of large parts to any NextStep-enabled platform.
*Does a little dance*
Yay!
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Sounds like Freelancer for PC, too.
Paul
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Event Horizon

Post by Paul »

Shadowfury333 wrote:While I don't mean to discourage you, have you ever played Vendetta Online or X2:The Threat? Let's just say that the descriptions match.
No worries there... I've been working on this too long to let a couple upstart commercial developers stop me!

I have actually tried Vendetta, but the curve seemed kind of steep, and I wasn't about to pay for a subscription. I downloaded the X2 demo now (I hadn't realized they made it for Mac), maybe I'll find some useful ideas. :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

looks a lot like the famous old game \"Elite\", which is what the more modern Freelancer was based on. you'll probabaly do well as a lot of people out there love this style of game. good luck
Sinjid
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Sinjid »

Amazing!
:D :D :D :D
I have always been a big fan of Escape Velocity (But not as much as Descent!) and one of my favorate things about EV are the plugins. Do you have any plugin type thingys for Event Horizon (Which i'm downloading now!). Its finished downloading it and... Oh it Does have a plugin makeing thing! Hey Wait a second! If you don't mind could I help out with the plot ships and stuff like that. Please!

Hope you go realy well with EH and get it finished soon.

Good Luck!

P.S
It keeps crashing when I try and buy a ship on Haven I crashes!
I know it is still under construction, but I just thourt I would bring this to you atention.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path choose the walker?
Paul
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Paul »

Hope you like it! :)

I'd be happy to have some help any parts.

I'm guessing you're running 10.4, and that's why it's crashing. I just upgraded, myself, so I've found that out, but don't know why yet. I'm working on it, though.

Also, you may like to check out http://eventhorizon.caphector.com which is where the main message board is, since I started it a couple years before I found DBB. :)
Differentiation is an integral part of calculus.
Paul
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Paul »

I've finally gotten a new release out, compatible with 10.2 and 10.4 (I haven't tested on 10.3, but hopefully it'll work there, too :D) Event Horizon 0.6.5