Los Angeles Has Criminalized Poverty

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Los Angeles Has Criminalized Poverty

Post by Nightshade »

LA Has Criminalized Poverty

A leftist liberal city has no sympathy for you if you have no money.

Raising rent prices and low wages have resulted in thousands of people across the city of Los Angeles becoming homeless, many of them now living in cars and RVs if they were able to keep it together that well.

According to the most recent counts by the KPCC, there are at least 7,000 people live in their cars in Los Angeles.

Many of these people still maintain jobs and try to live the most fulfilled lives that they can, but they are constantly facing problems from authorities.

It is such a common issue that many churches have opened up their parking lots to people living out of their cars. For example, the New Beginnings Counseling Center opened up their parking lot for a “Safe Parking program,” which was intended to provide a safe and welcome parking place for people living out of their cars. Unfortunately, under new legislation passed in Los Angeles, programs like this will be illegal, because sleeping in cars and RVs have been entirely outlawed.

Under the new laws, it is illegal to sleep in a car or RV that is parked in a residentially zoned area from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Areas within one block of a park, daycare, or school are entirely off limits. Fines will range anywhere from $25 to $75 which is impossible to pay for most people in these situations.

In 2014, LA lawmakers attempted to pass a similar bill but it was shot down in a federal appeals court. The judge in the case ruled that the legislation was “broad enough to cover any driver in Los Angeles who eats food or transports personal belongings in his or her vehicle. Yet it appears to be applied only to the homeless.”

The policy is up for debate and reconsideration in July, where homeless advocates are expected to strongly protest for an appeal.

Policies like this can have disastrous consequences, in Canada where laws like this have been implemented for some time, one man racked up over $110,000 worth of fines for essentially being homeless.

Last year, The Mind Unleashed reported that the city of Seattle was planning to set up razor-wire fencing to keep homeless populations from camping. Then, earlier this year we reported that San Francisco was using Robots scare homeless people away from encampments and report them to police.

Not soon after that, the city of San Francisco spent $8,700 installing large boulders under overpasses to prevent homeless people from setting up camps. There were numerous homeless encampments in the area until they were recently forced out of the area, and now the City’s government is doing everything they can to keep the camps out of the area.
http://themindunleashed.com/2018/02/la- ... d-rvs.html
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Los Angeles Has Criminalized Poverty

Post by Top Gun »

Only you could spin this into slanted bull★■◆●. Get lost.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Top Gun wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:06 pm Only you could spin this into slanted bull★■◆●. Get lost.
Aren't leftists supposed to be the 'defenders of the poor?' :roll:
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The problem is happening here in Oregon too.

http://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/m ... /129903704

However, even lefties get sick of the blight, crime, drug use and garbage problems associated with people camping in old RV's on neighborhood residential streets with no solution in sight. It's called the "NIMBY" syndrome. Some lefties are all well and good at heart until the problem shows up in their neighborhood, then the "get them out of here" syndrome rears it's ugly head. I call these people the "suburban lefties" and I don't blame them. It's unsightly, lowers property values and invites a lot of unwanted crime. The only lefties that I see who are actually committed are the ones who man the homeless shelters when it gets cold, give out the food to hungry people who need it and advocate for better solutions to homelessness and poverty.

So don't whine about lefties being heartless NS. I rarely see any conservatives, especially those in power, coming up with any type of solution to fix the problems of homelessness and poverty either. Out of sight, out of mind. To them, Trump has fixed everything and the economy is wonderful. Those people need to get their heads out of Trump's orange hair, look towards the West Coast and see for themselves the homeless problem we have first hand. A whole group of Americans are being left out of our so-called improved economy because conservatives consider these people nothing but lazy druggies who just won't work and besides, that trickle down economics they espouse will eventually help them anyway, problem solved.

http://www.oregonlive.com/washingtoncou ... et_pa.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Nightshade wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:02 pmA leftist liberal city has no sympathy for you if you have no money.
I stopped reading your post after this line. When is the last time you were in LA and can you tell me about your experience? I know a few neighbourhoods since it's not too far from me. None of those areas are "leftist."