Bush and Posse Comitatus

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Bush and Posse Comitatus

Post by Tunnelcat »

Another reason for people in the U.S. to fear Emperor Bush. He now has the power to enlist the federal military to control and enforce the law and fire weapons upon U.S. citizens within our own borders to quell unrest or stop protests during Martial Law, or even after a terrorist attack.

The Posse Comitatus law was passed in 1878, after the Civil War, to protect U.S. citizens from the military being used by a President as a civilian police. Now comes the Homeland Security Act to nullify it (thank Congress for the loss of freedom in the name of fear). Watch out if Bush ever declares martial law before he leaves office. He now has a full range of control over all federal armed forces and lethal force is now a tool at his disposal. What happened to our Democracy. Police state here we come!

Check out the info. here, very scary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

why would he HAVE to declare national marshal law? If he DID, we would have a MUCH bigger problem to worry about.

Normally, marshal law is enacted in areas of severe disaster (i.e. New Orleans) where people are going nuts and acting stupid.

Personally, I think you have more to worry about from a future leader selling out our autonomy to the UN.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Hence the second amendment people. Till the DFL'rs come into power again and strip us of that also. They have been chipping away at it for years. I agree with Ted Nugent completely on this. I also agree with Jefferson - A revolution from time to time is a good thing.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Lets say we had a terrorist attack or even just a natural disaster in just ONE American city right before the next election. What's to stop Bush from declaring national martial law in the name of keeping things calm since he is the \"decider\" and knows what's best for us. We know he has delusions of being the best leader for the country in fearful times.

This is a free country, last time I checked and a lot of people may take exception to this act. Is that a reason to use to the military to kill protesters? He could do that in the name of keeping the peace if he so desired with this law change, make no mistake!

Posse Comitatus was passed after the Civil War because a lot of people were outraged at the killing of so many U.S. civilians BY OUR OWN MILITARY during the war. Congress said that this should never again happen in a free and democratic society.

State and local police are supposed to deal with lawless situations, not the national military. The National Guard was supposed to be under the authority of the individual States to quell unrest and assist in times of disaster. Now the President has control of the Guard as well, and a lot of them are over in Iraq!
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Back to your lives, citizens. Just another round of fear-mongering.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

TechPro wrote:Back to your lives, citizens. Just another round of fear-mongering.
Not really, but yea sorta. They just had the trial or are having it as we speak about those fellows who where recruiting street gangs in Chicago to assist them in blowing up the Sears tower. Like it or not its here, so what do we do about it?
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by WillyP »

TechPro wrote:Back to your lives, citizens. Just another round of fear-mongering.
Ha! my first thought was to slap TP for not being indignant about his civil rights and freedoms being eroded...

But some more reading, the difference here is really about red tape and being able to react quickly to events like 9/11 and Katrina. Sure, a nutjob president could mis-use it, but only he would not have to have congress behind him. He would still need the cooperation of the military leaders, who are bound by military law to follow any legal order of the president anyway.
So, a nutjob president will see no differance, since he would do whatever he wanted anyway. The military leaders may be more likely to feel obligated to conduct a dodgey manuver. A good president does not have to go through the red tape of getting congress to approve the use of the military after a Katrina or 911, to impose order.

I can live with that. Remind me to never to vote for a nutjob president, though ;)
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Mo guns mo betta. right?
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

Dedman wrote:Mo guns mo betta. right?

Yep, No repeat offenders, just dead ones.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

OMG another Bush is evil post everybody panic.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oh no, scarier than that. He's just a stupid old party boy (you can never be totally free of an old cocaine and alcohol habit), afflicted with the short man complex and now he's trying to compensate for it by proving that he can do better than his daddy did.

He's just smart enough to surround himself with the intelligent and evil people that can give him power and control.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

tunnelcat wrote:Oh no, scarier than that. He's just a stupid old party boy (you can never be totally free of an old cocaine and alcohol habit), afflicted with the short man complex and now he's trying to compensate for it by proving that he can do better than his daddy did.
Hey, don't be flaming TopWop like that!
:P
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

tunnelcat wrote:you can never be totally free of an old cocaine and alcohol habit
yes you can.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I said OLD party boy, over 50 at least. Heeheeheeheehee! :lol:
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Lothar wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:you can never be totally free of an old cocaine and alcohol habit
yes you can.
You can? The medical community would like a word with you...
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Want else would explain all of the little choice nuggets of wisdom that ooze from Bush's mouth every time he opens it? Fried brain, heredity? Just Google 'Bushism' and you'll get a LOT of hits.

Either he fell off the wagon or worse? Eeeeeeeeeeek! :wink:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Lothar wrote:
yes you can.
seen relapses with my own eyes. they're not pretty.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

DCrazy wrote:You can? The medical community would like a word with you...
No, nearly everyone of the medical community agrees that you can be free from a drug habit.

I think they call it "death" nowadays.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Medical researchers are finding that taking drugs for a long period, legal or illegal, may rewire the brain's neural connections over time, possibly permanently. In other words, it adapts to the chemistry in the body, especially if it's a pleasurable experience.

They've discovered that may be the case in people taking antidepressants over a long period of time, making it almost impossible to get off of the drugs.

This is your brain on drugs.......! :mrgreen:
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

That doesn't mean it can't be done. :arrow:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

I'm not sure i've ever really heard anyone seriously suggest that it's impossible to kick a drug habit.
If you ask me, getting hooked on alcohol/stims is a personality thing. (there is the neuroreceptor angle, that these people have naturally less or more of certain neuroreceptors, but this also effects personality)
A pleasure seeker can metaphorically burn himself and the scar will be a permanent reminder.

But i've never heard Bush Party-boy talk about burning himself and how he learned lessons, all i ever hear him talk about is Jesus.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

tunnelcat wrote:Medical researchers are finding that taking drugs for a long period, legal or illegal, may rewire the brain's neural connections over time, possibly permanently. In other words, it adapts to the chemistry in the body, especially if it's a pleasurable experience.

They've discovered that may be the case in people taking antidepressants over a long period of time, making it almost impossible to get off of the drugs.

This is your brain on drugs.......! :mrgreen:
That's why never doing drugs a very good idea.

Same thing applies to boozing, smoking, guzzling lots of caffeine loaded drinks, etc.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

same thing applies to having fun, a hobby, sports, love, sleeping, everything in life. It's how the brain works - it's constantly rewiring itself. Profound experiences tend to make more drastic changes. Drug experiences are often profound and life changing - this is why their ritualised use (such as comming-of-age ceremonies) is ingrained in so many cultures the world over. It's good.

i wouldn't recommend making sweeping statements unless you've read into it. Otherwise it just spreads anti-drug government propaganda and rumours.

Never doing drugs is a terrible idea. It's like recommending you never visit another country
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

well, the body is making hundreds of drugs at any given moment.

anyways, we need a split! :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What! No caffeine. :shock:
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

roid wrote:Never doing drugs is a terrible idea. It's like recommending you never visit another country
Suit yourself, I'll stick to my opinion on this one.
tunnelcat wrote:What! No caffeine. :shock:
Yup. :D
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

TechPro wrote:That's why never doing drugs a very good idea.
I'm with TechPro here, as long as we modify the statement to "recreational drugs".

I'm not opposed to taking medications when needed, just to self medicating when it's not.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

just about any prescription drug can be used as a recreational drug.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Ferno wrote:just about any prescription drug can be used as a recreational drug.
You're not supposed to be able to get a prescription drug without needing it in the first place!
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by WillyP »

Kilarin wrote:
TechPro wrote:That's why never doing drugs is a very good idea.
I'm with TechPro here, as long as we modify the statement to "recreational drugs".

I'm not opposed to taking medications when needed, just to self medicating when it's not.
TP's statement should stand the way it is. However, there are times when the benefit of taking drugs may outweigh the potential for harm.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

We probably agree here that you shouldn't drink or do drugs and drive a vehicle, right? So why should you be able to do drugs and alcohol while in control of a large military and at the same time try to run a country, assuming Bush's brain is still on drugs?:P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

dude, Cocaine has been running America's upper echelons since the 70s at least. The halls of power practically scream \"i'm on coke!\" at you, the CIA in particular (ie: hello Bush sr and all his buddies). It was for a long time the drug of choice of the rich and powerful, for some reason everyone who does it is an ★■◆●, i'm not sure if it's just coz only rich assholes can afford it or if it amplifys the inner ★■◆● ego. Probably a mix.
Dopamine antagoniosts are pretty wild.

When i think of a Bush party - i think of a coke party.
But coke heads running the world doesn't scare me, since it's all we're ever known. Desensitised probalbaly.

You know how the NAZIs were powered by meth?
Well i sometimes catch myself wondering if Cocaine is the powerhouse behind all of Neo-Con actions. I mean, if it really does makes people into uncaring selfish ★■◆● bastards - it would offer an explain how Neo-Cons can be the heartless pigs that they are.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

So, true, so true. Not all bad things come from coke heads. Almost the entire 'Live! It's Saturday Night' (SNL) cast and crew during the first years the show was on the air were high on cocaine! Those were the best and most creative episodes to date.

However, I don't think Bush's brain on coke and alcohol is a very safe thing to be around. He doesn't even have a very good sense of humor to make up for the stupidity quotient, and he's driving!