Freezing yer Coconut

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Freezing yer Coconut

Post by roid »

What do you recon about cryogenic freezing? So you can be unfrozen and cured of your Boneitis or whatever in the future time. With nanotech or whatveer. i have to say whatever once more in this paragraph before it is over. Whatever ok!

http://rapidshare.com/files/63836497/transmet_08.cbr

Here's a nice comic, Transmetropolitan Issue 8 that is a pretty awesome introduction to the topic. (It's just a renamed zip containing numbered jpgs of the comic pages).

have a look and type things here
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Check your link. All I get is the host's home page.

I personally will wait until they actually re-animate a person that was frozen. It seems more likely that all you will do is spend a huge amount of money from your estate on a very cold coffin.
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Problem I find with freezing is most people would freeze themselves when they are old and sick. And honestly who would want to freeze themselves at age 30 so you can wake up in 50 yrs at a decent age?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yea and if you were frozen at age 30, you'd be trusting some jokers to keep you safe and in one piece. If they slacked off on their duties or ran out of money, you're dead and you'd have missed out on the rest of your possible life.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I find this problematic. Assuming it worked, how would I know that \"I\" would wake up after the cryogenic freezing and not somebody else? Something about personal survival seems to have to do with this continuous stream of consciousness that I've been experiencing since shortly after my birth. Can my brain be frozen and unfrozen with the expectation that my same consciousness stream would just pick up after it ended? Or would I (my consciousness stream) have died, with someone else (some other consciousness stream) being started who thought that they were me and thought that \"I\" had survived, even though I was really dead and he was somebody else. It's really quite a horrifying thought.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

Ford Prefect wrote:I personally will wait until they actually re-animate a person that was frozen. It seems more likely that all you will do is spend a huge amount of money from your estate on a very cold coffin.
Don't wanna "boldly go ...", eh??

Yeah, I'm with you on this one.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Not until they solve the ice crystal issue. ;)
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Ever read any Larry Niven? Interesting speculations on the future of corpsicles. :)
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by WillyP »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Problem I find with freezing is most people would freeze themselves when they are old and sick. And honestly who would want to freeze themselves at age 30 so you can wake up in 50 yrs at a decent age?
Someone who had a terminal disease, and there is no known cure.

Say if you were 29, and told you would not make it to 30. And hey, we are working on a cure, but it won't be ready in time for you.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by SuperSheep »

Jeff250 wrote:I find this problematic. Assuming it worked, how would I know that "I" would wake up after the cryogenic freezing and not somebody else? Something about personal survival seems to have to do with this continuous stream of consciousness that I've been experiencing since shortly after my birth. Can my brain be frozen and unfrozen with the expectation that my same consciousness stream would just pick up after it ended? Or would I (my consciousness stream) have died, with someone else (some other consciousness stream) being started who thought that they were me and thought that "I" had survived, even though I was really dead and he was somebody else. It's really quite a horrifying thought.
Exactly! :D

Although I believe this not only applies to cryogenic freezing, but to other such interesting ideas such as cloning, transporters (from Star Trek), and NDE (Near death experiences) where the brain is actually clinically dead and revived. Interesting how those people come back "different".

This of course requires a thread all of it's own. Moderators??
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Come on ppl, on rapidshare you have to scroll down and press the "free" button, then you wait under a minute or so. What are you new to the interbutt or something? get with zee program with the clicking of the "free" buttons and the waiting! :D
RAPIDSHARE.COM wrote:You want to download a file. Please scroll down to proceed.

i'm going to bed for now, the link works you just have to scroll down and click FREE. So check out the comic it'll probabaly refine what some ppl have already been asking (ie: the ice crystals thing, the age thing)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

haha, no-one has even read it.

this is troublesome for future discussion
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Kilarin wrote:Ever read any Larry Niven? Interesting speculations on the future of corpsicles. :)
MMmmm... Larry Niven ... good stuff. 8)
roid wrote:haha, no-one has even read it.

this is troublesome for future discussion
Ya think? Doesn't help that your download was ... painful just to get. (I really dislike those kinds of file sharing methods)

As for the comic, Pretty dismal. Kind of long (and yes, painful to read) to get to the point that the future may not care about those who froze themselves years before. I suppose it could be a possibility, but I think that freezing one's self is selfish, and a foolish waste of time and effort. One should live to have a good life now, a life that uplifts those around you, for there is found lasting joy.

There, I conversed. :wink: