God hates fags. Opps, God ordered to payout $ 10.2 million

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

God hates fags. Opps, God ordered to payout $ 10.2 million

Post by roid »

Everyone hates the Phelps family, coz it feels so good. :D
And this feels even better

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/10/31/fu ... index.html
A grieving father won a nearly $11 million verdict Wednesday against a fundamentalist Kansas church that pickets military funerals in the belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality. (ie: Fred Phelps' God-Hates-Fags Baptist Christian Church)

Albert Snyder of York, Pennsylvania, sued the Westboro Baptist Church for unspecified damages after members demonstrated at the March 2006 funeral of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq.

The jury first awarded $2.9 million in compensatory damages. It returned later in the afternoon with its decision to award $6 million in punitive damages for invasion of privacy and $2 million for causing emotional distress.

U.S. District Judge Richard Bennett noted the size of the award for compensating damages \"far exceeds the net worth of the defendants,\" according to financial statements filed with the court.
it's a lollercaust
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Good. Pigs.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

HAH! I knew that someday the legal system would do some good. Nice to see those <inertObsceneRefrenceHere> got repremanded. 8)
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

$2 million for causing emotional distress? Think of the opportunities.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

The Lion wrote:$2 million for causing emotional distress? Think of the opportunities.
seriously. I could have made more than that off the crap I went through in school. ... I'm sure most of us could have.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I came close to posting this yesterday, but the only commentary I had to add was:

:)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hopefully that will make them think twice about their little campaign... anti-homosexual or not, there is no need for that kind of insensitivity.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Wikipedia wrote:The church at Westboro which he leads has 71 confirmed members, 60 of whom are related to Phelps through blood or marriage or both.
Wow, that's just wrong.

You just know Phelps is going to get caught in a Minneapolis bathroom someday. God will work in very strange and ironic ways. :)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Rah rah.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It's nice to see that people think Phelps and his inbred clan are a bunch of nut cases. I just wish that the media would not give this guy any air time to spout his hate. :x
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

Sirius wrote:Hopefully that will make them think twice about their little campaign... anti-homosexual or not, there is no need for that kind of insensitivity.
We can always hope, but I doubt that they thought even the first time.

They've had their 15 minutes of (in)fam(y) - maybe the media will media will stop following them around and broadcasting their warped worldview. Few people have so richly deserved obscurity.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

They're not going to stop. It is \"on the edge\", it makes ratings, so they're going to pay it, plain and simple.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Phelps has a lot of lawyers in his family, and they're generally pretty meticulous about keeping their insanity legal. Counter-protesters are usually warned that the Phelps clan knows their rights and they'll sue if your counter-protest doesn't meet all of its legal requirements. I'm shocked and amazed that somebody finally managed to nail these idiots.

I'm also shocked and amazed that they continue to get airtime for their protests. It was \"on the edge\" like 5 years ago. Now it's old news. Fred Phelps protesting a funeral? *yawn* I only want to hear about them losing lawsuits from here on out.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Nice that they lost. Now try to collect.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I want to hear about them dying in the gutter, otherwise, yea, they aren't news.

If your god is real, then they should meet some untimely end. (Why hasn't it happened yet?)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

Lothar wrote: Fred Phelps protesting a funeral? *yawn* I only want to hear about them losing lawsuits from here on out.
Why didn't you mention assassination attempts, etc.?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Testiculese wrote: If your god is real, then they should meet some untimely end. (Why hasn't it happened yet?)
really?????

you haven't met an untimley end yet. why should the Phelps be any different??? yes they are all A-holes but if that was the only qualification for an Untimley death then not a single person on this board would be safe. dont blame God for the Phelp's family's actions
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Apparently lack of comprehension is your strong card. :P
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

CUDA was right on the money -- Phelps may be a bigger a-hole / lamer / whatever than the rest of us, but we're *all* a-holes / lamers / whatever to some degree. We all deserve untimely deaths, but my God has made it clear He's not about visiting untimely deaths on all who deserve them. So, Testi, if you're going to make the statement about "your god", don't go insulting people's comprehension abilities when they give an accurate response as to their God's actions.
d3jake wrote:Why didn't you mention assassination attempts
As above... we all deserve death to some degree, but that doesn't mean we should be quick to deal it out. Phelps is a grade-A A-hole, but that's no reason for anybody to go out and kill him. As far as I can tell, he's a nuisance, but not a threat to anybody. If he happens to get whooped, clobbered, or killed, I won't shed a tear on his behalf, but I'm not going to rejoice on behalf of whoever stooped to/below his level.

I suppose, if it happens, I would want to hear about it. But I'd rather not have it happen. (And honestly, do you really want him turning into a martyr?)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Nobody here deserves an untimely death. I'm really struggling to find anyone on this board I would even consider an a-hole. Cuda is as inaccurate as he can be. He didn't give any response about his god's actions, nor did I blame his god for Phelp's actions. Then he tries to paint Phelps and I in the same picture! Holy ★■◆●! :) Like I said...the lack of comprehension is like a 4th of July fireworks display in September. Yours is a bit off too - I didn't say someone or anyone should go out and kill him. I made a joke about a god getting rid of the fleas. Blow a tire near the edge of a cliff. Let them enjoy the breeze whistling through their empty heads on the way down. It wouldn't take more effort than a sneeze for Mr. Omnipotence. I mean c'mon, 30-odd people is nothing compared to the ravages of the past. Your god has certainly made it clear that he will visit untimely deaths on plenty of people who don't deserve it, so why not a few that pretty much do?

Phelps is a threat. He's a threat to every person gullible enough to think he is right. He is ruining the lives of all around him with everything he does. He threatens the lives of all his followers when he goes and pulls these stunts. Someone might snap one day and haul out a gun and mow down a few of these 'righteous' people. Then that person's life will be ruined too, along with the persons's family. The man is a disease.

I would not rejoice at the man's death, but I would certainly say good riddance. I don't think he would become a martyr, although people have proven themselves stupid enough I wouldn't be surprised. (I wans't even saying someone should kill him anyway, so it's a moot point)

edit:: oh, wait, my comprehension just went awry, ignore my references to saying I didn't say someone should kill him, it was jake that said that. (We really need the post textbox to be quite a bit bigger, we are all on monitors larger than 800x600 ya know)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Testiculese wrote:Nobody here deserves an untimely death.
Very nicely said and that goes for the rest of your post too. :)

Bee
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

hmm... i suppose i kinda like having him around as an object of ridicule in these religious times.

he's kinda like a religious parody.
a handy archetypal figure - alive and in popular vernacular - to draw comparisons with.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Testiculese wrote:Nobody here deserves an untimely death. I'm really struggling to find anyone on this board I would even consider an a-hole. Cuda is as inaccurate as he can be. He didn't give any response about his god's actions, nor did I blame his god for Phelp's actions. Then he tries to paint Phelps and I in the same picture! Holy *****! :) Like I said...the lack of comprehension is like a 4th of July fireworks display in September. Yours is a bit off too - I didn't say someone or anyone should go out and kill him. I made a joke about a god getting rid of the fleas. Blow a tire near the edge of a cliff. Let them enjoy the breeze whistling through their empty heads on the way down. It wouldn't take more effort than a sneeze for Mr. Omnipotence. I mean c'mon, 30-odd people is nothing compared to the ravages of the past. Your god has certainly made it clear that he will visit untimely deaths on plenty of people who don't deserve it, so why not a few that pretty much do?
Well if He did, you would have one less thing to scoff at wouldn't you?

I also find it funny that the people who accuse God of being impotent as far as "taking care of the bad guy's" are the same naysayers who do nothing about what they believe in.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

The less things for me to scoff at, the better this world would be.

I do everything about what I believe in. But I'm not about to go out and murder Phelps. It's against the law...
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Murdering phelps would make you a murderer.
The thought of it makes you just as guilty, If current laws progress the same.
Just look at manson.
Oh wait, He was a monster wasn't he?

Social opinion make me sick sometimes.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Slur that again? (Whatchoo talking about?)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Behemoth wrote:Murdering phelps would make you a murderer.
The thought of it makes you just as guilty, If current laws progress the same.
Just look at manson.
Oh wait, He was a monster wasn't he?

Social opinion make me sick sometimes.
hehe

good call.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Lothar wrote:As above... we all deserve death to some degree,
Right then, let's get sta-
Lothar wrote:but that doesn't mean we should be quick to deal it out.
Awwwwwwwwww....
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

Testiculese wrote:Nobody here deserves an untimely death. I'm really struggling to find anyone on this board I would even consider an a-hole.
From your lips to God's ears...
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

TIGERassault wrote:
Lothar wrote:As above... we all deserve death to some degree,
Right then, let's get sta-
Lothar wrote:but that doesn't mean we should be quick to deal it out.
Awwwwwwwwww....
ImageImageImage
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Lothar..

\"As above... we all deserve death to some degree\"

what the hell kinda statement is that?? cmon man!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

lol Ferno.

That's common Christian theology. And he's right. ... course, you don't agree with that, but yeah, he's right.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

even if it does say that, it's just retarded.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

that's because you don't fear (in the respecting sense) God. This isn't a head thing. It's a heart thing.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Duper wrote:that's because you don't fear (in the respecting sense) God. This isn't a head thing. It's a heart thing.
Exactly. A good example of this is water. Sure, its fun to go swimming in it, but if you don't respect it then it'll take you down under before you knew wtf hit you.
FormerlySV
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FormerlySV »

If you haven't at some point cultivated a good deal of hatred for all of the human race, you are not in a position to be compassionate or tolerant towards them. Compassion and tolerance are active. If everyone were deserving of compassion and tolerance, then compassion and tolerance would not be praise-worthy personality traits, as they no doubt are. Furthermore, if you have never felt the entire human race deserving of death, you would seem to have missed a great deal of history and contemporary events.

At any rate, the complete Christian story is that every human being is horrendously evil in contrast with a perfect divine Being, and in contrast with the perfect moral law, sans the redemptive actions of that very divine Being. So the whole story is not that all humans are deserving of death, but only that if their benefactor hadn't acted to remove their guilt, they would be less than scum.