Juan Williams fired from NPR

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Juan Williams fired from NPR

Post by Nightshade »

For being an anti-muslim bigot?

Oops?

http://pajamasmedia.com/eddriscoll/2010 ... que-gaffe/
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Freekin Liberals are just so shocked that are people in this world who do not like Muslims. Maybe becasue Muslims do not take responcabilty for there actions as a whole!
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Okay, I clicked that article expecting to see a quote of him saying something a little more extreme.

However, NPR places great important on political correctness and tolerance, so I can understand why they fired him.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I consider myself center left and I do not think someone should be fired for sharing their honest viewpoint.

Why are muslims being made immune from criticism?
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Saying “The cold truth is that in the world today jihad, aided and abetted by some Muslim nations, is the biggest threat on the planet,” is really not criticism. It's just complaining.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Avder wrote:...
Why are muslims being made immune from criticism?
Because they will blow you up if you don't?

Or...

Because the right wing is outspoken against the Muslim community for their disproportionately large faction of murderous fundamentalists. So the left wing seizes the opportunity to make political hay out of calling the right wing bigots for their stance. Thus the left wing must rationalize special treatment for a group that would otherwise surely be singled out by all for their high ratio of dangerous fundamentalists.

Real answer:
Both of the above.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

null0010 wrote:Saying “The cold truth is that in the world today jihad, aided and abetted by some Muslim nations, is the biggest threat on the planet,” is really not criticism. It's just complaining.
no actually its fact
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So Juan is now finding out just how true it is that when the left doesn't like you, they immediately go for character assassination:

\"NPR CEO: His Views Should Stay Between Himself And 'His Psychiatrist'.\"

So now Juan is just another nut case needing professional help. So much for all the years he spouted the liberal cant.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Juan Williams next Tea Party Candidate for President. :)
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

NPR has previously asked that he not be identified as affiliated with them because of things he's said during past Fox News appearances. So it's not like he was fired just for the one comment; he was fired for a pattern of comments made over just the 2 years he's been on NPR.

For example, here's an article about complaints from 2009 and a video of him comparing Michelle Obama to a Black Panther (the guy who popularized \"black power\".)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2009 ... ews_1.html

AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Lothar wrote:NPR has previously asked that he not be identified as affiliated with them because of things he's said during past Fox News appearances. So it's not like he was fired just for the one comment; he was fired for a pattern of comments made over just the 2 years he's been on NPR.

For example, here's an article about complaints from 2009 and a video of him comparing Michelle Obama to a Black Panther (the guy who popularized "black power".)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2009 ... ews_1.html

Juan Williams was with NPR for 10 years, not 2.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Some more interesting commentary about Juan Williams, islam, 'modern liberalism' and political correctness:
Mr. O’Reilly argued that jihad is the biggest threat on the planet, and Juan Williams concurred. For that Juan Williams was fired. Although, it appears that this event was more the straw that broke the camel’s back than anything else.
http://www.1913intel.com/2010/10/21/the ... y-threats/
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... 84&ps=cprs

16:44 with Alicia Shepard, NPR ombudsman
yahoo! more links you great minds

I've been a fan of Juan Williams for years - I still listen to Talk of the Nation everyday. His role with NPR was as an 'analyst', on Fox he was an 'opinion'. You can't be both and be taken seriously. It's simple.

This backlash against NPR that is happening is laughable, it's easily the most balanced talk radio in the United States. The hosts actually let both sides present their point of view, showing us talking louder and more doesn't make you accurate.

Juan Williams is a talented man that has my respect, but you can't be both an analyst and an opinion and retain credibility. He went for the money on Fox as a paid panic trumpet. At least he is cashing a check you hee-haws write on a message board and debate politics with 15 year olds.
=)
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

TheWhat wrote:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... 84&ps=cprs

16:44 with Alicia Shepard, NPR ombudsman
yahoo! more links you great minds

I've been a fan of Juan Williams for years - I still listen to Talk of the Nation everyday. His role with NPR was as an 'analyst', on Fox he was an 'opinion'. You can't be both and be taken seriously. It's simple.

This backlash against NPR that is happening is laughable, it's easily the most balanced talk radio in the United States. The hosts actually let both sides present their point of view, showing us talking louder and more doesn't make you accurate.

Juan Williams is a talented man that has my respect, but you can't be both an analyst and an opinion and retain credibility. He went for the money on Fox as a paid panic trumpet. At least he is cashing a check you hee-haws write on a message board and debate politics with 15 year olds.
=)
I think you can't be taken seriously if you think someone who works as an analyst doesn't express his opinion.
If his opinion had been more liberal he wouldn't have been fired.
So NPR has decided that their employees must not be allowed to express certain opinions even when outside of the workplace. That is fine, lots of private companies do that but that is not something I think should be funded by tax revenue.
I too listen to NPR and love some of it and I listen to Rush Limbaugh and love some of it, I don't think the tax payers have any responsibility to finance either outlet because ultimately both outlets produce content that is in alignment with their opinions and even 15 year olds can tell you that.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by TheWhat »

So NPR has decided that their employees must not be allowed to express certain opinions even when outside of the workplace. That is fine, lots of private companies do that but that is not something I think should be funded by tax revenue.
Somewhat funded... people donate money to NPR all the time. I guess I should look up the numbers and post them because I don't know right now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Public_Radio
Funding
According to the 2005 financial statement, NPR makes just over half of its money from the fees and dues it charges member stations to receive programming. Public funding accounts for 16% of the average member station's revenue, with 10% of this coming in the form of grants from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, a federally funded organization.[14][15][16] Some more of that money originates from local and state governments and government-funded universities subsidizing member stations' fees and dues to NPR.[17] Member stations that serve rural and \"minority\" communities receive significantly more funding from the CPB; in some cases up to 70%.[14] About 2% of NPR's non-membership created funding comes from bidding on government grants and programs, chiefly the Corporation for Public Broadcasting; the remainder comes from member station dues, foundation grants, and corporate underwriting. Typically, NPR member stations raise funds through on-air pledge drives, corporate underwriting, and grants from state governments, universities, and the CPB itself.

Over the years, the portion of the total NPR budget that comes from government funding has decreased. During the 1970s and early 1980s, the majority of NPR funding came from the federal government. Steps were taken during the 1980s to completely wean NPR from government support, but the 1983 funding crisis forced the network to make immediate changes. More money to fund the NPR network was raised from listeners, charitable foundations and corporations, and less from the federal government.
I value his opinion and even have those thoughts from time to time riding public transit in Minneapolis with Somali Muslims everywhere.

On NPR when Williams would suggest such a thing it was to put the discussion into perspective. On Fox he wasn't doing that... it was shock value. I agree with NPRs ombudsman, he wasn't saying what he said to move the discussion forward it was just fireworks. You can't be both editorial and an analyst depending on which media outlet you are on. You can’t reconcile it.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

TheWhat wrote:...
I agree with NPRs ombudsman, he wasn't saying what he said to move the discussion forward it was just fireworks.
You agree with the ombudsman's opinion that it was just being provocative. The ombudsman's opinion cost Williams his job, how many Somali's lost their job because of Williams' honest opinion?
If his honest opinion is provocative then it is also reality so deal with it. If you want to filter reality for your station fine but pay for with money from willing customers and supporters. The government has no business taking my money to fund your filtered reality...

Your argument requires one to believe Williams was being a shill for the rightwing and his reputation defies that assumption. Taking up the liberal's fight against Fox has damaged NPR's credentials in my opinion.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by TheWhat »

Will Robinson wrote:
TheWhat wrote:...
I agree with NPRs ombudsman, he wasn't saying what he said to move the discussion forward it was just fireworks.
You agree with the ombudsman's opinion that it was just being provocative. But if his honest opinion is provocative then it is reality so deal with it. If you want to filter reality for your station fine but pay for with money from willing customers and supporters. The government has no business taking my money to fund your filtered reality...
It's not filtered I said I have the same feelings from time to time. But NPR isn't Fox news; it's supposed to be a source of information not a spectacle. NPR corrects itself all the time totally admitting mistakes - where is the Fox news ombudsman? Neal Conan even points out that the statement issued by the exec at NPR failed to mention other instances in which they considered Juan Williams going 'out of bounds' and ultimately leading to his firing. They are wrong for the way they handled it, it should’ve never come to this.

Williams wants to be an editorial opinion, that's fine and I will continue to listen to him. But that's a specific type of journalism.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I work for John digging ditches, and I dig a mean ditch, when I work for Frank, I fix toilets, and I fix a mean toilet. I do not have to reconcile the two, and John has no right to fire me, because I also work for Frank…unless there is a specific clause in my contract, that forbids me from working for Frank.

I think NPR has been very upfront regarding the reason he got fired…that being, he doesn’t fit their mold.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Should the government step in and tell NPR to be truthful?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

null0010 wrote:Should the government step in and tell NPR to be truthful?
I don't think the governments place is to tell content providers what their content needs to be, so long as its not slanderous or something. Of course I think it would be perfectly reasonable to yank NPR's federal funding over this.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

On a slightly different tack, where are all the cries of racism when a lilly white organization tears the shirt off a black man and publicly whips him. I've waited but heard no comments by Rev. Jackson or Rev. Al Sharpton. If Fox news would of been the one firing Juan, want to bet your paycheck that in a matter of hours the race card would of been slammed on the table? Lets face it. The real racists hang out where liberals have control and whenever you hear them accuse someone or some group of being racist, it is only to hide how the liberals really feel inside.

Juan was useful as long as he spouted the liberal doctrine but once he got uppity and started voicing what he really thought, it was time to have him flogged and sent packing. The silence from the left about firing a African American is deafening. I would challenge our liberal members to ask on the liberal boards they post at, if racism should not be considered as part of Juans firing. It would be interesting to hear the replies. Last time I tried asking a question on a liberal sight (Democratic Underground) my acct was terminated. So proceed at your own risk.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's actually an interesting question woodchip. I haven't heard the usual lefty defenders stand up for Williams. Not a convenient poster boy for lefty victimhood maybe? I always associated him with FOX, not NPR (never listened), so maybe that's it, the lefties think of him as a FOX mouthpiece and deserving of his fate.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

On a slightly different tack, where are all the cries of racism when a lilly white organization tears the shirt off a black man and publicly whips him.
It is a lefty thing, but its not a race thing. The sharpton types hate Fox news. You are right that if Fox news fired him they would be out in force, but again, thats a fox news thing.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Re:

Post by Heretic »

tunnelcat wrote:That's actually an interesting question woodchip. I haven't heard the usual lefty defenders stand up for Williams. Not a convenient poster boy for lefty victimhood maybe? I always associated him with FOX, not NPR (never listened), so maybe that's it, the lefties think of him as a FOX mouthpiece and deserving of his fate.
NPR is a good station to listen to if you don't like Conservative talk radio. There are a lot of interesting programs on NPR but there is a lefty tilt to the stories for sure.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

I have to admit to listening NPR. Car Talk with Click and Clack is the tops.

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Heretic wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:That's actually an interesting question woodchip. I haven't heard the usual lefty defenders stand up for Williams. Not a convenient poster boy for lefty victimhood maybe? I always associated him with FOX, not NPR (never listened), so maybe that's it, the lefties think of him as a FOX mouthpiece and deserving of his fate.
NPR is a good station to listen to if you don't like Conservative talk radio. There are a lot of interesting programs on NPR but there is a lefty tilt to the stories for sure.
The thing I get from NPR is, for the most part, their left leanings are sincere. It may be a distinction without a difference for some of you but for me, if you are hard core liberal or conservative and you are there because the evidence as you see it supports your position, you make intelligent arguments for why you see things that way, then I can respect you and learn from you even if I think your interpretation of the evidence is wrong.

A good example on the other side is Sean Hannity, he is not sincere, he is a republican hack who puts the republican party success before everything. He only opposes them when he thinks he can gain credibility by doing so without hurting the party's chances in the next election.

TC is like the DBB's democrat version of Sean Hannity ;)
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

lol
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Sean Hannity is also a religious goofball. He's one of those guys that thinks separation of church and state has no place in America. :P

What I find funny is that a centrist atheist like me is regarded by many here as \"right wing.\"
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

If NPR doesn't promptly fire these ladies I could see this leading to their funding getting pulled.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Gooberman wrote:If NPR doesn't promptly fire these ladies I could see this leading to their funding getting pulled.
I don't understand why the funding wasn't pulled a long time ago or else the content be made non-political.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

ThunderBunny wrote:Sean Hannity is also a religious goofball. He's one of those guys that thinks separation of church and state has no place in America. :P

What I find funny is that a centrist atheist like me is regarded by many here as "right wing."
Because “right wing” is a political (not party) identification, not a religious one.

And, that icon places your “centrist” status in great doubt.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

That icon only represents the truth. The truth has no \"leaning.\" Obama was born and raised a true believer. His mother, his friends and his teachers were all of the communist/leftist bent. It's no surprise he views this country in need of \"change.\"
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Ya I just can't imagine why people wouldn't consider you a centrist TB.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

lol @ centrist
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Gooberman wrote:Ya I just can't imagine why people wouldn't consider you a centrist TB.
because he's at the center of the I hate Muslim's movement :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

I seem to recall a \"political test\" a few months back that stated I was a centrist. So there. :P
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

This topic has been on my mind a bit of late. I think ultimately what I find so offensive is NPR is a channel that I usually hold in pretty high esteem.

And, not only did they get this wrong, and worse were *extremely* arrogant about it (I mean honest to god how does saying that he needs to take it up with his psychiatrist not get her fired?)---As someone who classifies himself as a \"liberal,\" I believe that the dialog Williams was engaging in is needed in this country.

Yes, alot of people feel anxious when they see Muslims on airplanes. It is an understandable reaction but the point Williams was driving home is that its not a logical reaction.

People often say Racism is taught, I don't think thats true. I think people have a survival instinct to group together for protection. I think race is the most primitive way of grouping. It is through education and experience and dialog, that one begins to see, \"hey, that guys isn't so bad.\" or \"Hey, what he said was pretty funny,\" or \"Hey that guy can help my in this or that way.\"

I wont take it out on the individual personalities on that station, but my respect for the organization on a macro-scale took a serious hit.

/rant