Should we have had a war in/with Iraq?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

yes
30%
no
70%

Total votes: 23
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

This is a poll.
I'm a bit drunk. woohoo, that's why i'm rubbing shoulders with the swineflu-infected but otherwise totally fine and morally upstanding people that are here.

(If you don't know howto answer this simple poll, here's a further clarification that may force an answer outof you fence shitters: Should we have had a war in/with Iraq... AT THE TIME WE DID? To answer this one i guess you'll have to also say when a better time to have the war would have been - that's what the reply button is for.)
For everyone else - say whatever you want (just make sure your tinfoil hat is adjusted first, if you're that way inclined).

edit: holy ★■◆●, what's with the swearing censorship you assholes. I'M A REAL HUMAN BEING, WHAT ARE YOU - A CHURCH CHOIR GIRL?
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

The war with Iraq was a mistake for the simple reason that all off our resources should have been concentrated on Afghanistan and the hunt for Bin Laden. JMO.

Iraq was in no position to threaten US at that time, no matter what some of the pundits and intel said. Hind sight is 20/20 though.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I lean heavily towards no, but if in 2030 its a stablized democracy still, then I will have been wrong.

In short: too early to tell.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

No because we don't have the political will to try and take it to a beneficial solution and maybe that isn't a realistic goal anyway.
Just because we can justify it isn't enough if all we do is go in and toss Saddam in jail.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Yep, won't gointo details as to why because I just piss all of you off when I do. :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It is a little late for this poll.

The global economy is in the crapper thanks to Wall Street lobbying so they could go gambling with homes, corporations have been redistributing what is left of Americas wealth to China, the federal government is buried in debt because of irresponsible non-leadership, and we are stuck in middle eastern conflicts that are by nature unwinnable.

You know why I subscribe to the theory of evolution? Its because I can totally believe the idea that this nation is run by a bunch of banana chasing monkeys.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

No no no no no no no no.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Yes, we should have had the war.

No, we shouldn't have made some of the major mistakes that were made during the war.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Krom wrote:...
You know why I subscribe to the theory of evolution? Its because I can totally believe the idea that this nation is run by a bunch of banana chasing monkeys.
Comment of the year!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Before i skim over the replies to this post i'm gonna share my opinion as to not water it down.
No, i do not believe we have the right nor need to dominate the middle east with our ideoligies
Personally i believe it's just mainly for control over the oil and opium production areas that we're in there and they try to make a pretty face for the media by saying it's to stabilise the area and to set up a democracy.

This area has done fine for thousands of years without need of anyone to tell them how to live their lives or how they choose to conduct their governing, That said i will say i'm moved with empathy for those unfortunate people who suffer at the hands of what we would consider psychotic leadership. HOWEVER, i don't believe we should make the world believe that it's OUR place to fix every little problem in the world.

Just another reason for them to control more money expenditures and setup the monopoly again.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Behemoth wrote:..

This area has done fine for thousands of years without need of anyone to tell them how to live their lives or how they choose to conduct their governing,
Imagine if we apply that standard of 'doing fine' to people asking for american government assistance here ;)
I can see it now:

So you say the Presidents son has raped and tortured your daughters and killed your sons and husband?!? Guards! Stone this woman to death for dishonoring our leaders family!

In the news today Washington Wally reports that "Everyone is doing fine".

Lol! In America you aren't doing fine if you only have one car, rent control and have to pay for your own lunch at the local technical school where you will learn, tuition free, to be a union worker that sets you up for life with guaranteed pension because somewhere there is a white guy who has more than that...
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Back in 2003, I thought yes - now with hindsight, not so much.
si vis pacem, para bellum
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Will Robinson wrote:
Behemoth wrote:..

This area has done fine for thousands of years without need of anyone to tell them how to live their lives or how they choose to conduct their governing,
Imagine if we apply that standard of 'doing fine' to people asking for american government assistance here ;)
I can see it now:

So you say the Presidents son has raped and tortured your daughters and killed your sons and husband?!? Guards! Stone this woman to death for dishonoring our leaders family!

In the news today Washington Wally reports that "Everyone is doing fine".

Lol! In America you aren't doing fine if you only have one car, rent control and have to pay for your own lunch at the local technical school where you will learn, tuition free, to be a union worker that sets you up for life with guaranteed pension because somewhere there is a white guy who has more than that...
It's more than that, it's more disrespect to their way of life than anything i guess.
Democracy is BS, it doesn't work here, what makes anyone think it'll work there?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Behemoth wrote:It's more than that, it's more disrespect to their way of life than anything i guess.
Democracy is BS, it doesn't work here, what makes anyone think it'll work there?
"I believe that the government that governs best is a government that governs least, and by these standards we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq." --Stephen Colbert, at the WHCD
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

are 72% of you all appalled at the 27% who still think the Iraq war was a good idea?

I think 27% is a scarily high figure.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I don't think this war had anything to do with ideology, although that always seems to be a good motivator. If I recall correctly, Bush was outright lied to about WMD's which was the single biggest determiner to gain support for the war. We had just been attacked, albeit from a totally separate group :roll:, and emotions were high. Someone KNEW there was no wmd, but whether Bush knew or not is disputable and once that trigger got pulled there was no going back, no matter what.
So if someone knew there was no wmd and outright lied about it, they had their motivations, whatever they were history will prove.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Bushie Junior WANTED really bad to finish off that bully Sadam, who make his little daddy look BAD back when he was president, plain and simple. Bushie was just LOOKING for any excuse to start a war and finish the job his daddy failed to complete, so someone????? created an excuse FOR him. How convenient.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I supported the decision at the time, but knowing what we know now, and with how things turned out...no. That wasn't the time to do it. Saddam didn't represent nearly the threat that was presented, and Iraq has wound up substantially more unstable as a result. What I do hope is that the country does manage to persevere through its current troubles and becomes a reasonably-stable democracy, for the sake of the Iraqi population.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote:Bushie Junior WANTED really bad to finish off that bully Sadam, who make his little daddy look BAD back when he was president, plain and simple. Bushie was just LOOKING for any excuse to start a war and finish the job his daddy failed to complete, so someone????? created an excuse FOR him. How convenient.
someday you'll get over your infatuation with Mr. Bush, :roll:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Mjolnir
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Mjolnir »

CUDA wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:Bushie Junior WANTED really bad to finish off that bully Sadam, who make his little daddy look BAD back when he was president, plain and simple. Bushie was just LOOKING for any excuse to start a war and finish the job his daddy failed to complete, so someone????? created an excuse FOR him. How convenient.
someday you'll get over your infatuation with Mr. Bush, :roll:
Probally when we're done suffering from his horrible mistakes. So that will take awhile.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Should we have had a war in/with Iraq?

Post by Neo »

roid wrote:This is a poll...
You like to get drunk on weekdays, don't you?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Neo wrote:

roid wrote:Drinkin beers beers beers... playing decent... smoking phatties...make a poll... drinking beers...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

lrn 2 timezone isaac

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

right idea, wrong target.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I just think that next time before we invade a country for their own good, we should wait for them to ask us for our assistance.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Good thing there wasn't any chemical weapons found in Iraq.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

These are just the same ones that Santorum got in trouble for claiming were WMD's years ago. (The DOD denied it.) They're degraded and generally unusable, leftover from pre-Gulf War, not what we invaded Iraq for.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

roid wrote:lrn 2 timezone isaac
Don't tell me you're weren't due to be picked on!!!!!!!!
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Isaac wrote:
Neo wrote:

roid wrote:Drinkin beers beers beers... playing decent... smoking phatties...make a poll... drinking beers...
You forgot one.