Liberal Media Myth

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Liberal Media Myth

Post by Tunnelcat »

So let's see, everyone here thinks that MSNBC is a liberal bastion. So why does their most popular liberal commentator, who donated some cash to a few Democratic candidates, get suspended without pay for violating policy? All the while FOX News gives their pundits carte blanche (one of only a few who does) to give and give and give to any republican they want and all the while allow them to report on their version of the \"news\". So who's got the conflict of interest here in reporting the \"news\"?

By the way, this policy, which isn't an outright ban, applies only to MSNBC and NBC News, NOT CNBC. I guess Jack Welch likes his business channel plebes tend to prop up conservatives only. Olbermann claims he asked permission, as per MSNBC's policy, but was given the stall tactic, so he apparently went ahead and donated anyway. I smell a setup.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162- ... 03544.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19178161/

I will use the power of my DVR to set and delete Olbermann's show every day he's gone in order to send a message to NBC executives. I know the cable company keeps track. Money and ratings talk and they just lost a viewer. :x
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Isn't being suspended from MSNBC kind of redundant to the point of being ridiculous as an official punishment for a news person?

I also find it an extremely phony policy, more of a public relations move than any kind of ethical or moral policy considering the kind of crap that oozes from that network
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Keith's a liberal, and so am I.
http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 ... e-not-news

Besides Olbermann is an op-ed guy not a News guy
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Could it be MSNBC's marketing strategy is about to take a wild swing to the right? Just look where MSNBC is compared to Fox News via the ratings. Somebody over at NBC finally have a Epiphany and discovered higher ratings = more income = more money available for salary and bonus? Ummm TC... you do understand NBC is just another ebil corporation :wink:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, no liberal bias in the media…that’s why all night as I flipped from channel to channel, FOX was the only one showing the entire story, while all the other stations were concentrating on California, and a couple of other races where Democrats were winning.

Or, was I dreaming…lol.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I read my news online from a variety of (mostly local) sources. My two primary sources of news are the extremely conservative local news outlet here in my hometown called The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead, and the somewhat left-leaning Star Tribune of Minneapolis-St.Paul. CNN, MSNBC, Fox News can all suck a fat one. If I feel like reading news from a scope outside of those two areas, I'll load up Reuters' US page once a month or so.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

NBC is just trying desperately to say to the world, \"see? see? I told you we weren't biased!\"

Also, Keith Olbermann is a total moonbat.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

null0010 wrote:NBC is just trying desperately to say to the world, "see? see? I told you we weren't biased!"

Also, Keith Olbermann is a total moonbat.
Olbermann is at <3 a sports commentator, why in DoG's name they ever gave him a political commentator seat is beyond me. In any case he sux0red at sports, why be surprised he sux0rs at politics?
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Liberal Media Myth

Post by dissent »

tunnelcat wrote: So why does their most popular liberal commentator, who donated some cash to a few Democratic candidates, get suspended without pay for violating policy?
I dunno. Maybe even they got tired of his moonbattery. OK, so you and his fourteen other viewers are upset - I think it's just hilarious.

So they've got an open slot - I hear Alan Grayson is looking for a gig.

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/06/r ... e-to-olby/
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

MSNBC really needs a dramatic shakeup. Right now they just copy Fox News's play book....which is incredibly well designed for conservatives, and just doesn't work on/for liberals.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

The only difference here between Fox and MSNBC is that Fox ultimately concedes that they are biased but MSNBC tries to maintain the illusion that they aren't. Did you learn anything about Keith's person from hearing that he donated money to Democrats that you didn't already know from watching his show?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re: Liberal Media Myth

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote:So why does their most popular liberal commentator, who donated some cash to a few Democratic candidates, get suspended without pay for violating policy?
I GET IT!!!!!!! its a trick questions.

I've got admit I read through many of the comments on a Maddow page. I find it Ironic that out of the 50+ comments that I read, all but one of them blamed Fox news for the suspension or trashed Fox and its viewers, :roll: and this is exactly what TC has done. she doesnt even consider that fact that Olberman was wrong. NOOOOOO that cant be it. It's a right wing conspiracy that got Olberman suspended. does the Liberal mind not comprehend that Olberman violated a company policy? a policy in which he agreed to in writing BEFORE he signed on with MSNBC??? I hate to break it to you TC. sometimes even a Liberal can be wrong and get punished because of it. I know that that will come as a shock to you.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Gooberman wrote:MSNBC really needs a dramatic shakeup. Right now they just copy Fox News's play book....which is incredibly well designed for conservatives, and just doesn't work on/for liberals.
I'm not really sure where you're getting this idea...
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

You know maybe if you guys argued points without the whole rubbing-it-in-the-face-of-the-other-guy part of the argument, maybe there would be some headway made around here.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Avder wrote:You know maybe if you guys argued points without the whole rubbing-it-in-the-face-of-the-other-guy part of the argument, maybe there would be some headway made around here.
that all started with the OP. the intent was not to argue the point of the suspension or the validity of said suspension. it was to talk about the injustice of it said suspension compared to a entirely different entity. she was comparing apples to oranges and screaming why her apple had worms and the oranges didn't.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

CUDA wrote:
Avder wrote:You know maybe if you guys argued points without the whole rubbing-it-in-the-face-of-the-other-guy part of the argument, maybe there would be some headway made around here.
that all started with the OP.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

CUDA wrote:.
I disagree on that point!!!
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Isaac wrote:
CUDA wrote:.
I disagree on that point!!!
well your WRONG :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Mjolnir
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mjolnir »

Blaming Fox News in this thread is a little silly, though I understand the sentiment because it does at first seem unfair. Here's the problem, Fox News is not an actual news station, they are right wing entertainment station so it doesn't really matter if they give to Republicans(obviously they will) because they and everyone with a half a brain knows that they aren't in the business of reporting facts, they're in the business of reporting slander and bull ★■◆●.

Now, on the other point of MSNBC trying to take Fox News's playbook.. they've been doing that forever and for those of you who don't remember, MSNBC used to try and copy it to the letter by being a right wing leaning broadcast. That didn't work, so they went to the left(although at least they actually provide actual facts instead of using their own echo chamber to yell \"facts\" at themselves). I do like some of MSNBC's hosts, Olbermann is not one of them, but I think we can all agree that it's shenanigans that he was fired/suspended from his job for the reason given.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

If Fox isn't an News Channel why did ABC, CBS, CNN and and NBC refused to interview Kenneth Feinberg unless Fox was included?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Which \"news channel\" was it that fabricated documents to support their allegation against G.W. Bush in their October Surprise \"news\" story?

Which \"news channel\" was it that a microphone caught their anchor and co-host in what they thought was off-air comments to President Clinton telling him \"We love you Mr. President\" after they finished an interview during his re-election campaign?

The perception that Fox is biased and another isn't is dependent upon ones political compass more than any difference in the objective practice of a particular network!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

There is also a difference between one vs. many.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/Me ... -6664.aspx

UCLA research study
Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center, with CBS' \"Evening News,\" The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news pages of The Wall Street Journal
Only Fox News' \"Special Report With Brit Hume\" and The Washington Times scored right of the average U.S. voter.
well I guess with 90% of the Media leaning left I can understand why the lefties dont like Fox it goes against the liberal indoctrination to have a News Media outlet that leans to the right.
Five news outlets — \"NewsHour With Jim Lehrer,\" ABC's \"Good Morning America,\" CNN's \"NewsNight With Aaron Brown,\" Fox News' \"Special Report With Brit Hume\" and the Drudge Report — were in a statistical dead heat in the race for the most centrist news outlet. Of the print media, USA Today was the most centrist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_bias ... ted_States

ABC News political director Mark Halperin stated that, as individuals, most journalists and news producers hold liberal political views and these views affect their reporting.[20] In a survey conducted by the American Society of Newspaper Editors in 1997, 61% of reporters stated that they were members of or shared the beliefs of the Democratic Party. Only 15% say their beliefs were best represented by the Republican Party.[21] This leaves 24% undecided or Independent.

A 2002 study by Jim A. Kuypers of Dartmouth College, Press Bias and Politics, investigated the issue of media bias. In this study of 116 mainstream US papers, including The New York Times, the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and the San Francisco Chronicle, Kuypers found that the mainstream press in America tends to favor liberal viewpoints.[22] They found that reporters expressing moderate or conservative points of view were often labeled as holding a minority point of view.[22] Kuypers said he found liberal bias in reporting a variety of issues including race, welfare reform, environmental protection, and gun control.[22]

Studies finding a perception of liberal bias in the media are not limited to studies of print media. A joint study by the Joan Shorenstein Center on Press, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard University and the Project for Excellence in Journalism found that viewers believe that liberal media bias can be found in television news by networks such as CNN.[23] These findings concerning a perception of liberal bias in television news – particularly at CNN - are also reported by other sources.[24]
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

well I guess with 90% of the Media leaning left I can understand why the lefties don't like Fox it goes against the liberal indoctrination to have a News Media outlet that leans to the right.
There are a few programs that I use to like on FOX. Chris Wallice does good interviews, there was some media watch program awhlie ago where they analized the medias analysis, I don't know if its still on.

The only issues I have with fox are:

1. Glenn Beck, I really find him to be a despicable person who profits off of the fears and hardships of others. Even worse, he actively tries to elevate the fears of the American people.

2. Their slogan, \"Fair and balanced,\" they just ain't. It's OK that they ain't, but they shouldn't keep saying that they are.

3. There is no CNN equivalent, which forces all conservatives to flock to that one channel. This isn't rally a FOX news thing, only that I wish they would chose to be more moderate/conservative or split off a seperate channel
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

CUDA wrote:well I guess with 90% of the Media leaning left I can understand why the lefties dont like Fox it goes against the liberal indoctrination to have a News Media outlet that leans to the right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_as ... orporation

:roll:
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

M$ and NBC... deadly combination. ;)

Oops, I almost keyed in \"M4\" :S
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

null0010 wrote:
CUDA wrote:well I guess with 90% of the Media leaning left I can understand why the lefties dont like Fox it goes against the liberal indoctrination to have a News Media outlet that leans to the right.

and this effects the studies how?????

― Theodore Roosevelt
Mjolnir
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Mjolnir »

CUDA wrote:
null0010 wrote:

In a nut shell, enjoy your echo chamber.

Also, Wall Street Journal is a leftist paper? L O L. Now that is quite funny.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Blaze wrote:M$ and NBC... deadly combination. ;)
Observe this computer model where the cat is NBC and the mouse is MS:

http://postimage.org/image/a052mwv8/
deadly!
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

CUDA wrote:
null0010 wrote:

News Corporation is owned by Australian paleo-ultraconservative wingnut Rupert Murdoch.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Hmm, can't seem to edit posts. Must of had the redneck spell checker installed this morning that switched my \"aren't\"s to \"aint\"s.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Gooberman wrote:Hmm, can't seem to edit posts. Must of had the redneck spell checker installed this morning that switched my "aren't"s to "aint"s.
It takes about 5 minutes for the edit post page to work for me. T'ain't nothin' wrong with ain't, ether.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

null0010 wrote:
Gooberman wrote:Hmm, can't seem to edit posts. Must of had the redneck spell checker installed this morning that switched my "aren't"s to "aint"s.
It takes about 5 minutes for the edit post page to work for me. T'ain't nothin' wrong with ain't, ether.
T'ain't?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Mjolnir wrote:
CUDA wrote:
null0010 wrote:

In a nut shell, enjoy your echo chamber.

Also, Wall Street Journal is a leftist paper? L O L. Now that is quite funny.
AH I see. your "OPINION" out weighs the "FACTS" of the study. I see how it works

― Theodore Roosevelt
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Isaac wrote:T'ain't?
Means "there ain't". Taken for standard English where I'm originally from. :P
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Bet51987 wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:The perception that Fox is biased and another isn't is dependent upon ones political compass more than any difference in the objective practice of a particular network!
No, because there's a difference between a major snowstorm and a dusting.

Bee
Yes, however, ones perspective will dictate where one would define the transition between the two.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Olbermann reinstated!

Every news outlet has a bias. It's all from one's perspective isn't it? Obviously the president of MSNBC and Olbermann got into it, and I guessing it got a little personal. I sensed something was going on last week. He seemed angry at something and for some unknown reason, suspended the WORST PERSON segment. Then on Friday, he was out. Apparently, he wouldn't give a mea culpa about his donations on air, so the spat escalated.

But this weekend, somebody blinked, and it was apparently the president, Phil Griffin. Well, GOOD! MONEY TALKED! Olbermann is NOT a newscaster either, so he shouldn't be even thought of as a journalist without bias. He has a leftie slant and makes no bones about it. I don't expect \"fair and balanced\" news to come from him in the first place and the damned president of MSNBC better get a dose of reality. Olbermann's pure leftie entertainment and a very good parry to all that FOX propaganda pouring out in the corporate media these days. So my middle finger gives a big salute....EFF YOU FOX NEWS AND PHIL GRIFFIN!.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

What?

It's clear that this suspension is little more than a publicity stunt.