Last Post

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re: Last Post

Post by KoolBear »

Bet51987 wrote:Can someone answer my question please. I need to know in a hurry. :|

Bee
What question?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

This one:
Bet51987 wrote:I had "enable word censoring on" set to 'yes' but was still able to see Avder's full word. What am I doing wrong?
Bet, read back a few posts - Jeff250 and Krom answered your question.

The filter needed to be expanded to include variations.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

See you at .com BTW, I can see you are "online". May want to change you profile to stealth mode if you keep peeking around here :P
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Ok Foil, thanks. I didn't read it fully because It looked like they were communicating with each other and I was focused on a direct response. My bad. I understand completely now.

I'm home all day today while the school roof is being shoveled and. I'm going to post something later when I get my head clear that will straighten out the mess I made here.

Bee
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Bet51987 wrote: that will straighten out the mess I made here.

Bee
you took a stand. don't be embarrased. this is not a mess. if people got their feelings hurt maybe they should look at themselves first. this whole issue was VERY trivial.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Bet51987 wrote:Ok Foil, thanks. I didn't read it fully because It looked like they were communicating with each other and I was focused on a direct response. My bad. I understand completely now.

I'm home all day today while the school roof is being shoveled and. I'm going to post something later when I get my head clear that will straighten out the mess I made here.

Bee
Bee, I made the mess, or rather I allowed a mess to develop. My bad, I also ask for your forgiveness for addressing this in a public forum. I remember very well the backlash I went through when I edited peoples post oh so many years ago.

Editing of posts should be a last resort unless it is so offensive that it must be removed immediately, in that case it would be better to "SPLIT" that thread immediately and move the offending post to the Trashcan where it can be reviewed for further action by one of the admin, make sure you notify an admin though :) other wise use the "Report Post" and an admin can respond accordingly. We are working on new guidelines for mods and users. Times have changed so much the wording just doesn't apply in some areas.

Maybe this thread should be split with this part moved to the Feedback forum?
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

woodchip wrote:Due to the latest choice of moderator for this forum, this will be my last post here.
Seriously? How old are you and you are throwing a temper tantrum?
I'm not sure why 30, 40, 50 and yes even 60 year old members need a 21 year old to tell us what words to use.
You must be in the 50 or 60 year old category with that type of thinking. Very old fashioned thinking. Young people are often smarter and more capable than older ones, especially on the internet.
There are plenty of children forums that one can go to if clean language is the norm.
Funny, I consider clean language something adults would pride themselves in, while children are the ones constantly swearing. Try joining some irc chats some time and you might be enlightened.
While some forums have hilariously inept swear filters, none of them have mods that are concerned with attempts to bypass them. We are all adults here or at least I thought until I saw the latest choice in moderator. While I will miss those of you who do not post on the other board, I no longer would feel comfortable posting here with who is now moderator. Farewell.
Wow, this is the most childish thing I have heard in a long time. Do you call your mommy and cry every time someone does something you don't like? Go ahead, take your ball and go home you cry baby. :roll:

woodchip is an example of someone who would be a very bad moderator. Trollish behavior.
Why doesn't it work?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Xam,

Objecting to woodchip's statement is fine.

However, you just crossed the line into personal attack. If I were you, I'd edit or delete what you just posted, because it's clearly out of line.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I'm just answering his childish post with a childish reply. I did not personally attack him and don't try to spin it that way Foil. He is crying about someone he "personally" doesn't like on here (personal attacks on Bee) becoming a moderator and threatens to remove his magnificent presence from us if we don't do something about it.

If anything I think we all need to play some more Descent to relieve all this stress that is built up on this board. Lighten up people and live life instead of worrying about such silly and trivial things.
Why doesn't it work?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Xam,

This is directed rebuttal, but reasonable:
Xamindar wrote:He is crying about someone he "personally" doesn't like on here (personal attacks on Bee) becoming a moderator and threatens to remove his magnificent presence from us if we don't do something about it.
This is personal attack:
Xamindar wrote:How old are you and you are throwing a temper tantrum?

Do you call your mommy and cry every time someone does something you don't like? Go ahead, take your ball and go home you cry baby.
Learn the difference.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

KoolBear wrote:
Bet51987 wrote:Ok Foil, thanks. I didn't read it fully because It looked like they were communicating with each other and I was focused on a direct response. My bad. I understand completely now.

Bee
Bee, I made the mess, or rather I allowed a mess to develop. My bad, I also ask for your forgiveness for addressing this in a public forum. I remember very well the backlash I went through when I edited peoples post oh so many years ago.

Editing of posts should be a last resort unless it is so offensive that it must be removed immediately, in that case it would be better to "SPLIT" that thread immediately and move the offending post to the Trashcan where it can be reviewed for further action by one of the admin, make sure you notify an admin though :) other wise use the "Report Post" and an admin can respond accordingly. We are working on new guidelines for mods and users. Times have changed so much the wording just doesn't apply in some areas.

Maybe this thread should be split with this part moved to the Feedback forum?

Koolbear.... I've known you a long time even back when I played in your kids only servers letting them practice on me so I was taken aback when I saw your post. I'm happy to see the apology and I accept it fully. In fact was hoping for it. If the rest sounds too dramatic please remember that this is the way I express myself here and in real life. No drama. Just me.

In the Descent Old School forum a similar profanity was used and the moderator there deleted the entire post so I used that as a guide to handle Avder who blatantly posted the profanity after repeated warnings that I would try my best to keep this place clean. And no, there were no filters working at that time. I will never apologize to Avder for editing his post and I will do it again in a heartbeat but since it's causing people to leave, I hereby resign my modship, not as a quitter, but for the sole purpose of the new moderator bringing back Woodchip, Avder, Spidey and whoever else. Two of which I will place on my ignore list as soon as you remove my name. In all the years that you've known me I've always argued against people being banned and I feel the same way about people leaving. I don't like people leaving because of me no matter what the reason.

Richard Cranium..... I'm sorry for letting you down and I will always admire you for giving me a chance to be an important part of this forum. I don't know what you expected of me knowing my history but I was really honored that it came from you and for those of you who supported me I want you to know I was really humbled. I'm an emotional person so yes, this hurt a little, and yes, it was hard for me to write but I'll get over it. Like "The What" often says, "its only the internet". If I may, I would like you to consider CUDA as a moderator, the first regular forum member to congratulate me even after I've thrown stones at him for years. With him, getting the others back will be easy. Deep down inside he's a little like someone close to me except for the gruffness and I think he will make a great mod. What I just said will probably go to his head but that will change the next time I bean him with a stone. :)

I don't intend to leave this forum unless it completely degenerates but I don't see that happening as of yet.

Thanks again for the chance RC

Sincerely,

Bettina
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I don’t remember saying anything about leaving. :?

In fact I believe this is my first post, in this childish thread.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Spidey wrote:I don’t remember saying anything about leaving. :?

Toss out this goodbye spidey cake, then?
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Never waste food.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

hey bett:

just the profanity was deleted, the post was left intact.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Spidey wrote:I don’t remember saying anything about leaving. :?

Ya but you wanted to post. we could see it in the way you typed :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Foil wrote: This is personal attack:
Xamindar wrote:Go ahead, take your ball and go home you cry baby.
Learn the difference.
Ok, I guess that one could be confused to be a personal attack. If you really know or consider woodchip to be a baby who crys. The rest you quoted were just questions, hence the ? at the end. Cheeky or not, they were just questions aimed at showing the childishness of his statements.

I really don't know anything about woodchips personal life in order to attack him in such a way. I don't know whether he lives with his mom, is 50 years old, or just a 13 year old pimple face brat who stutters. And I couldn't care less.

I suggest YOU learn the difference between a personal attack and just being harsh in a reply. I'm sure if I knew him personally I would have no problem with the guy (or girl) and I don't here either. I actually enjoy reading most of his posts in the political threads, this thread was just a lapse in retardedness.
Why doesn't it work?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Xamindar wrote:I suggest YOU learn the difference between a personal attack and just being harsh in a reply.
Okay... in the theme of this thread, let's put it to the folks in authority.

I see a negative implication directly attributed to an individual's character.... but Xam calls it "just being harsh".

So, admins/moderators: Is "Go ahead, take your ball and go home you cry baby" a personal attack?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Foil wrote:Xam,

Objecting to woodchip's statement is fine.

However, you just crossed the line into personal attack. If I were you, I'd edit or delete what you just posted, because it's clearly out of line.
Ditto, Xam force moderation and get moderated. feel free to disagree! But please don't get personal. You have been asked nicely by both a mod and an admin.

I do agree with you though we need to get in the mines and relieve some stress! :P
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Why doesn't it work?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

LOL,, yea we all know that and I know this community, we are all "high strung" if we weren't we never would have been able to play Descent.

Bet I am not sure stepping down is a good idea. I personally think it''s a good chance for you to learn something, you might find that you will be as good as most of us hope that you would be.

I don't plan on removing your modship, Richard will have too :D, you haven't had a chance to make a mistake yet :) pull up your boot straps, look at this as an opportunity and learn from it.

Since 1997 many users grew up posting here, some even found their true love, married and have children that I hope will post here one day!

When we started this site we were already old and TOO set in our ways, some users here today were not born until after the DBB started and some of us... well we will never grow up, especially when it's so easy to throw stones over the internet :)

I guess what I am saying is stay and learn to be a mod be an inspiration to the users, gain their respect and enjoy the DBB I have already approached CUDA to assist you in the E&C I had hope that you and he would bring a balance to each other and that you could learn from him.

KB
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

:mrgreen:

― Theodore Roosevelt
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I look at CUDA's avatar and then think of Betinna both working the E&C and it brings to mind that boxing movie Clint just did a few years ago... million dollar baby or something like that. sorry I digressed ...
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

"Go ahead, take your ball and go home
^^not a personal attack
you cry baby"
^^becomes a personal attack
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

CUDA wrote:Image

:mrgreen:
mmmmm cookies...
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

KoolBear wrote:I look at CUDA's avatar and then think of Betinna both working the E&C and it brings to mind that boxing movie Clint just did a few years ago... million dollar baby or something like that. sorry I digressed ...
SO !!!
your saying I can teach Bee to beat the crap out of people :mrgreen:

― Theodore Roosevelt
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

CUDA wrote:
KoolBear wrote:I look at CUDA's avatar and then think of Betinna both working the E&C and it brings to mind that boxing movie Clint just did a few years ago... million dollar baby or something like that. sorry I digressed ...
SO !!!
your saying I can teach Bee to beat the crap out of people :mrgreen:
It'll be a good lesson get her toughened up ;) Just be careful that you don't start calling her Mo Calishe (sp?) or something like that :()
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I have already approached CUDA to assist you in the E&C I had hope that you and he would bring a balance to each other and that you could learn from him.
WTF thats a horrible choice, what are you guys blindly throwing darts or something?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I think in the future, we should at least allow some sort of community suggestions or feedback before choosing mods. That way the choices wouldn't be so controversial.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

There was a discussion opened earlier today in the moderator forum and will continue, I approched Cuda to see if he would be interested, after that I started a poll and discussion.

All opinions are welcome as long as they are constructive in nature.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Sure, I'll send you a PM.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Jeff250 wrote:Sure, I'll send you a PM.
Thank you!
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

it matters not to me. my name was mentioned by a couple of people, I never sought the position, I was asked and I told KB I'd be willing to help. I will not be insulted or hurt if I'm told no. I'll just run over to .Com and sulk like the others :P

edit: which by the way would cause me to register since I've never posted there :P

― Theodore Roosevelt
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I resigned being a moderator once, because I just couldn't visit the forum every day. I also realized I hate reading everyones posts... TLDR.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

CUDA wrote:it matters not to me. my name was mentioned by a couple of people, I never sought the position, I was asked and I told KB I'd be willing to help. I will not be insulted or hurt if I'm told no. I'll just run over to .Com and sulk like the others :P

edit: which by the way would cause me to register since I've never posted there :P
:P roflmao After seeing the way you dealt with Bee's situation

Your actions from the very first moment Bee was moved into the mod-spot showed me your true character imho. And I think others should take note too; your true colors / the core of who you are became extremely evident. I was also the way you and Foil handled the thread, this was an example of the was the way DBB.net mods should handle issues was an example for all of us ... mainly me ;)

I am a Christian and I believe that forgiveness is a good thing :D

I'm registered over at .com I know and like too many people there to not avail myself of them every now and then. Especially when I need to get a message to the "other side" :D I sure would like to see the walls come tumbling down though our community is getting so small it seems a shame to be polarized like we are.

Thank those of you that contributed constructively to this whole conversation, you know who you are :D

Seems like when ever I come around the ★■◆● always hits the fan, and I am ALWAYS on the wrong side of the fan! Another reason I am KoolBear more like a bear in a china closet and the DBB is like a china closet everyone is soo friggin worried about the balance or power ....

Lighten up peeps, we are lucky we can discuss who and what ,,, take a moment and think about the pilots that have flown on before the rest of us ...

Bama, Phenom, RadMan soo many more

woodchip come back ad continue to enlighten us, I'm an old man an enjoy the bantering that goes on. It's interesting to lurk since I am a terrible typist and worse with my use of English :) My thoughts are incoherent and I also blabber, damn I like life and Descent!

Bee give it a try or maybe you would like a different forum to test the waters in
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

I understand that I'm not the most popular or well liked member of this forum. Hell I'm a conservative republican, who's not afraid to stand up for his faith or his God. and that makes me controversial. :mrgreen:
plus I'm 50 years old and I've found that "sometimes" dancing around a subject is the bad way to handle it and I can come across as gruff :roll:

but I try to adhere to two points in my life

Rom 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.

James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

I try not to Judge anyone. but if I think your wrong I will not hesitate to tell you. that is why I support Bee as a Mod. I've told Bee she's wrong many times, sometimes harshly. but I think she would be a good Mod. and even if she and or I are made Mods I will continue to poke her in the eye if I think she is wrong. I try (and fail) to not make things personal. but I have the highest respect for "MOST" members of this forum Bee and TC included, they are probably the two people that I go at the most. it's those of you that have sent me PM's harshly and sometimes vulgarly criticizing me for my faith that I have no respect for and will not engage with, and there have been a few of you.

but again if asked to serve I will serve. if asked to step aside I will Gladly step aside.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Ferno wrote:hey bett:

just the profanity was deleted, the post was left intact.

And following your example, I did exactly what you did but the roof didn't cave in on you. Why? I just want to understand the difference between the two examples. I would like to hear it from you, not Koolbear.

Bee
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The difference in the reaction is probably because of the perceived reasoning behind the edits, and how you went about it.

When Ferno or I censor something in a topic, such as vulgar language or links for pirating commercial software, we generally frame the action so the people being censored will see it as us enforcing a policy that exists in our respective forums or on the entire board.

However; when you censored language, it looked like it was because you personally didn't like it:
Bee wrote:Mod speaking.... Avder, swear filter or not, I'm not allowing that word to remain as it is so I changed the first four letters to asterisks. I don't have to ask you nicely here because I've already replied nicely to your post at .com and you know full well how I feel about certain words. I want this forum to remain profanity free yet spirited like it has been but lately a few want to turn it into another .com.
There are a couple things going on here:
First of all; it looks to me like Avder was deliberately provoking/testing you and you took the bait (otherwise he was just carrying around that Idiot Ball I was talking about earlier). There are times when nothing you can do will be "right" but how you handle it can still make a big difference. If you think they are specifically coming after you, lock the entire thread or delete the post and leave a brief reply "Don't provoke me.". Or don't reply at all and ask an admin to deal with it.

Second; you mention in your note "I'm not allowing..." and "how I feel about..." and "I want...", that makes it sound personal and not based on your forum policy. The moderator shouldn't feel, or even sound like it is necessary to justify their actions. When I edit/delete a post or lock a thread based on my opinion of the subject or contents; it is not because *I think* it is stupid, it is because *it is* stupid. Don't let others doubt your authority, and especially don't doubt it yourself.

And last; you don't *have* to ask nicely but it doesn't hurt to do so anyway, people are more receptive to "Note: no vulgar language please." than "I don't have to ask nicely...".
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Very well written explanation and I appreciate it very much Krom. I let my emotions get to me and shouldn't have written a personal response.

Let me continue for a minute. Just out of curiosity, when I saw Avder's uncensored fword, and since I didn't realize that I was forbidden to edit someone's post, which of the following would have been the best approach for a moderator to do. What would you have done if you were just a mod and confronted with a bypassed profanity.

1. Leave the post as is but add a note saying "No profanity please" or "No bypassing the filter please".

2. Notify an Admin.

3. Lock the thread.

4. Delete the entire post and say "Don't provoke me". (I believe this would be an edit)

5. Other.

Bettina
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

In this particular case, the word filter was not functioning correctly rather than being outright bypassed so you should have notified an administrator to correct the filter first. In your shoes, operating under the current policies I would still have edited the post, just I would have left a polite and neutral note pointing out that the filter wasn't working and that you have notified the admins to correct it.

However it is also worth noting that just because the board now supports the option of individually choosing to enable or disable the filter does not mean that anyone can start posting using whatever vulgar language they want. Board software changed but the policies have not (although they will likely be updated soon), people shouldn't make assumptions based purely on new features. Play it safe at least till the policies are sorted out.