Baptist group kills Jewish teacher!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Baptist group kills Jewish teacher!

Post by Nightshade »

...no wait.
SANAA, Yemen – A group linked to Al Qaeda claims it killed an American teacher in Yemen for Christian proselytizing.

Joel Shrum, a 29-year-old English language teacher from Harrisburg, Pa., had worked for two years in the central city of Taiz.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/03/18 ... z1pWsPX8k3
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Baptist group kills Jewish teacher!

Post by Top Gun »

Are you quite done?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Top Gun wrote:Are you quite done?
are you serious? I view two days without some silly, Islamophobic drivel a welcome respite during the time I've frequented this board. Talk about your one-trick pony......yeesh!
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Apparently he wasn't, since he did the same exact thing a couple of hours later.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

he's like a broken record with this stuff..

always about how islam is bad, and tries to defend it with 'it's only the extremists i talk about'. It's either a post count thing, a crusade, or something.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And the same 2 people post how terribad TB is. Speak about one trick ponies.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Does anyone have anything of value to add?

"If you don't have anything good to say..."
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Foil wrote:Does anyone have anything of value to add?

YA I do. IBTL :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Foil wrote:Does anyone have anything of value to add?

Could we maybe try getting TB's random drive-bys locked before they turn into this mess, then? He's been playing the same mantra for more than a year now, and it contributes absolutely nothing to this board.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

There is an ignore function built in to phpbb3: ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Krom wrote:There is an ignore function built in to phpbb3: ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes
But it doesn't work on whole threads. :E
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Krom wrote:There is an ignore function built in to phpbb3: ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes
Internet Democratic Dictator OWNED!

I'm sorry. I love it!! :mrgreen:

It was a good impression of our current political atmosphere, though, TG. Even to the point where you started the mess and then used it as an accusation to shut him down.
Top Gun (first topic reply) wrote:Are you quite done?
Some good thoughts there. I think TB understands your objections by now, though.
Disclaimer: At no time in posting were DBB Staff as gleeful as I was in reading. The DBB Staff are trained professionals. Don't try this at home.

On-topic, the persecution and killing of Christians by the "religion of peace" is nothing new. It just doesn't get a whole lot of press outside of Christian publications. It really should.

I'm sure the school in question is being perfectly up-front about the whole situation--despite the fact that they may face violent repercussions were they to admit that they employed a practicing Christian, if indeed he was.
Article wrote:The school denied that Shrum was proselytizing, saying that he "highly respected" Islam. It said Muslims and Christians work together on "human development, skill transfer and community development" projects there and that religious and political debates are not permitted.
The fact that they feel the need to deny this points to a real problem, don't you think?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I felt like giving him a penis slap then. felt kinda good really. :)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

May I suggest a compromise? Thunderbunny, in the future, can you post all of your warning-against-Islam-themed links to the same thread (starting a new thread for this purpose if necessary)? They are all similar enough in topic to not warrant starting a new thread each time you want to post a new link nor does enough time go by between you posting them. The rest, if he does this, will you lay off the flames if he keeps these posts to a single thread?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Good Idea
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'd be fine with that, even if I still think the point he's trying to make is absurd.
Sergeant Thorne wrote:

It was a good impression of our current political atmosphere, though, TG. Even to the point where you started the mess and then used it as an accusation to shut him down.
Um, I'm not seeing any "own" there. And I'm really curious as to how I "started" anything when TB's been the one essentially making the same thread ad nauseam for at least a year now. All I'm doing is pointing out the fact that this sort of thread runs directly contrary to what this board is supposed to be about.

Let me ask you this: what sort of discussion are we supposed to get from a thread of this nature? Someone was murdered, and that's bad...seems like a pretty universal sentiment. Fundamentalism being used to justify actions like this is likewise bad...again, I don't think you're getting any arguments. We're doing good so far, though there's not really anything else to be said. But hey, let's add in the insinuation that the only reason these things happen is because of Islam, and throw in a ham-fisted thread title, and okay there we go it's off the rails now. It's simply ridiculous, and any place which holds itself as requiring a modicum of rational thought should toss it out the window from the get-go.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Top Gun wrote:I'd be fine with that, even if I still think the point he's trying to make is absurd.
And to clarify, I don't mind people making well thought out arguments. I'm just trying to come up with a plan to cut down on all the other noise that people tend to repost every time ThunderBunny creates one of these sorts of threads.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Top Gun wrote:I'd be fine with that, even if I still think the point he's trying to make is absurd.
Sergeant Thorne wrote:

Um, I'm not seeing any "own" there. And I'm really curious as to how I "started" anything when TB's been the one essentially making the same thread ad nauseam for at least a year now. All I'm doing is pointing out the fact that this sort of thread runs directly contrary to what this board is supposed to be about.

Let me ask you this: what sort of discussion are we supposed to get from a thread of this nature? Someone was murdered, and that's bad...seems like a pretty universal sentiment. Fundamentalism being used to justify actions like this is likewise bad...again, I don't think you're getting any arguments. We're doing good so far, though there's not really anything else to be said. But hey, let's add in the insinuation that the only reason these things happen is because of Islam, and throw in a ham-fisted thread title, and okay there we go it's off the rails now. It's simply ridiculous, and any place which holds itself as requiring a modicum of rational thought should toss it out the window from the get-go.
The DBB is not held to some high standard of thought by the staff. They're here to keep order, not demand a certain line of accepted philosophical content. That's why I get such a workout around here. ;) Here's another way to look at it: you have failed to convince TB that he's wrong about Islam... for at least a year now... Welcome to life. The level of rationality on this BB is what we make it to be, it's not because the DBB has a standard of its own.

Now when it comes to intervening in trends such as what this type of thread has become, I tend to agree with Jeff--it's reasonably to look for a way to remedy the situation. I personally don't know that I like the idea of confining TB's news headlines to a single thread--it would get messy in the event that a topic took off, and its really kind of a misuse of the forum structure. That would be between TB and the DBB Staff, though, if they deem it worth dealing with. I myself don't reply to a lot of his topics, but I really don't find them to be that inconvenient to negotiate around in the topic list. I'm afraid there's a degree of hating going on there... If the DBB Staff wanted to get creative they could give TB his own news flasher at the top of the E&C page and allow the option of creating a topic from the latest news. ;)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

*"news"
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Top Gun wrote:Um, I'm not seeing any "own" there.
And none was intended, I was only suggesting it as an alternative to people complaining in/about every topic ThunderBunny posts.

I'm generally on the same wavelength as Thorne on this, it isn't like reading these topics takes much of a time investment at all and navigating around them isn't difficult either. The time and effort put in to creating a copy/paste topic usually reflects the time it takes to read the topic afterwards: hardly any at all.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

To be frank: you probably could write a bot that does the bulk of what TB has posted in the last few years.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well, when sharia law comes to a town near you, don't say TB didn't warn you. Oh and hello to the new secularism:

"New York’s Stony Brook University has decided to no longer cancel classes for major Christian and Jewish holidays in an effort to ensure that some religions aren’t given special treatment and to “afford equal support and equal respect to students and faculty from all faiths.”
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'm amazed that any non-religious college would cancel classes for religious holidays. Mine certainly didn't./
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

I find it extremely amusing how many of you piss and moan about TB threads, yet you continually post in them, the same people whine over and over yet there they are :mrgreen:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:Oh and hello to the new secularism:

"New York’s Stony Brook University has decided to no longer cancel classes for major Christian and Jewish holidays in an effort to ensure that some religions aren’t given special treatment and to “afford equal support and equal respect to students and faculty from all faiths.”
GOOD! No more special treatment for the 2 major religions in this country. :mrgreen:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:

GOOD! No more special treatment for the 2 major religions in this country. :mrgreen:
Waits to see how TC reacts when her important ox is gored :wink:
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote:

I wonder how the faculty and students will take to no more Christmas and Spring breaks

― Theodore Roosevelt
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Spring break generally doesn't correspond with Easter/Passover anyway (it did once out of my four college years, by coincidence), and Christmas is as much of a secular holiday as it is a religious one now, so taking the end of December/start of January as the gap between college semesters only makes sense. Essentially the only thing that would be changing is that the students might not have one or two random days off per semester. I'd assume that if they actually have religious obligations to meet on certain days that preclude them going to class, they can work it out with their professors; I never had any issues when I did the same thing.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

CUDA wrote: I wonder how the faculty and students will take to no more Christmas and Spring breaks
Actually there will still be a Christmas break. Why? Because it is in the union contract. So much for the whole make everyone equal idea.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:Waits to see how TC reacts when her important ox is gored :wink:
What important ox?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:
woodchip wrote:Waits to see how TC reacts when her important ox is gored :wink:
What important ox?
As a wild guess I'd say it was not "Babe the Blue" ox. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Still ????????????? :mrgreen:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

more ethnic and religious tolerance for you all to ponder:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46845257/ns ... nd_courts/
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"