Weather, the new weapon of mass destruction!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Weather, the new weapon of mass destruction!

Post by flip »

http://www.fas.org/spp/military/docops/ ... 3c15-1.htm

As an amateur meterologist, and studying recent weather anamolies, I stumbled across this article from 1996. With the completion of HAARP, it would seem they are a bit ahead of schedule! The ability to modify, intensify, suppress or even create Hurricanes, Tornado's, Earthquakes and their subsequent tsunami's....etc for military operations seems inherently dangerous to me, but fascinating none the less! Seeing as how every single thing on this Earth has a resonant frequency, this could very well trump Atomic weapons as being the end all of weapons of mass destruction.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Weather, the new weapon of mass destruction!

Post by callmeslick »

what a cheery prognosis....still, Flip, as you say, fascinating. I'm always leery of man tinkering with nature, as it seems to go badly awry too frequently.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well, at least this guy owns the Patent! :P

“The potential applications of artificial electromagnetic fields are wide-ranging and can be used in many military or quasi-military situations… Some of these potential uses include dealing with terrorist groups, crowd control, controlling breaches of security at military installations, and antipersonnel techniques in tactical warfare. In all of these cases the EM (electromagnetic) systems would be used to produce mild to severe physiological disruption or perceptual distortion or disorientation. In addition, the ability of individuals to function could be degraded to such a point that they would be combat-ineffective. Another advantage of electromagnetic systems is that they can provide coverage over large areas with a single system. They are silent, and countermeasures to them may be difficult to develop… One last area where electromagnetic radiation may prove of some value is in enhancing abilities of individuals for anomalous phenomena.”--USAF
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sounds like the weather modification net idea in Star Trek.

http://www.startrek.com/database_articl ... cation-net
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Tests of the tectonic weapon, capable to cause at earthquake and tsunami distance were already carried out to the USSR. Officially the last test of such weapon was carried out in 1992. In Russia in 2006 two experimental generators by capacity in some billion watts, comparable with a capacity of a nuclear reactor and surpassing ten times any foreign analog are created. To study consequences of influence of electromagnetic radiation of such force on live organisms while didn't try at all as it is necessary to picturize from influence of these devices all electrical equipment – including computers and cell phones. Not lethal electromagnetic weapon of smaller power is tested regularly as means for suppression protesting and neutralizations of terrorists.
On mine, all of us should pray that as a result of test of the weapon of this kind somewhere spontaneously didn't work complexes of start of strategic rockets with thermonuclear warheads.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

actually, not a new idea. The Russians fubard some of their weather in the late 40's early 50's when messing with some of Tessela's ideas. Apparently it scared them bad enough that they brought their findings to NATO (?) and a moratorium put into place in this area of "science".
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yes, there is a treaty in place that prevents testing on a large worldwide scale, but not locally ;).
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Here guys, you forgot this:

Click to view the full size image.

Everyone knows that lasers and cyclotrons are where it's at nowadays. 8)
To him, boredom was a greater evil than hunger or sexual frustration, for boredom signaled the waste of a mind.
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

What’s that for…paranoid clan members… :lol:
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Spidey wrote:What’s that for…paranoid clan members… :lol:
Nope! Coneheads. :P
To him, boredom was a greater evil than hunger or sexual frustration, for boredom signaled the waste of a mind.
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ThugsRook »

weather manipulation would be/is the highest crime against humanity.

wouldnt you be interested in finding out what HAARP is responsible for since '96?
katrina?
japan?
global warming? ;)
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

ThugsRook wrote:weather manipulation would be/is the highest crime against humanity.

wouldnt you be interested in finding out what HAARP is responsible for since '96?
katrina?
japan?
global warming? ;)
Wrong. The highest crime against humanity is willful ignorance. And did you know astronauts carved the word 'gullible' on the moon? You need a telescope to see it, but it's there.
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ThugsRook »

gullible would be if you actually believed they went to the moon ;)
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

ThugsRook wrote:gullible would be if you actually believed they went to the moon ;)
Oh, you're a card, you are! Do you say that because the earth is actually flat, or because the little green men would never allow it? :wink:
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

ThugsRook wrote:gullible would be if you actually believed they went to the moon ;)

Rook.

You were the last person I figured would say that. Why would you? There's been so much we've gained from going to the moon.

IF you doubt it whatsoever, all you have to do is look at this. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/m ... sites.html

Here's the camera that took the images. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/s ... index.html

Denying it sends you straight into crazy camp.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

pfffftt.. don't worry about it. It'll be written in Chinese soon.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Tinfoil won't help. It's conductive.
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

flip wrote:Tinfoil won't help. It's conductive.
Do you not know what a Faraday cage is?
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

According to real-life physicist Robert Park, professor emeritus at the University of Maryland and author of Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud, humans are, in fact, electrical machines (which is one reason we can't capture the last image a dead person sees). "Our senses convert external inputs, such as sound or light, into tiny electrical currents that are processed by the brain," Park says. "A stationary electric charge has an electric field, and a moving charge has a magnetic field. We have electrical and magnetic fields, but we don't give off electrical charges."
Hehe
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

MD-1118 wrote:
Actually, Isaac flip is right. Tinfoil hats are no Faraday cage; they amplify signals. :mrgreen:
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Foil wrote:
MD-1118 wrote:
Actually, Isaac is right. Tinfoil hats are no Faraday cage; they amplify signals. :mrgreen:
The basis of my reply rests on the following words:
TOW wrote:The notion that a tin foil hat can significantly reduce the intensity of incident radio frequency radiation on the wearer's brain has some scientific validity, as the effect of strong radio waves has been documented for quite some time. A well-constructed tin foil enclosure would approximate a Faraday cage, reducing the amount of (typically harmless) radiofrequency electromagnetic radiation passing through to the interior of the structure. A common high school physics demonstration involves placing an AM radio on tin foil, and then covering the radio with a metal bucket. This leads to a noticeable reduction in signal strength. The efficiency of such an enclosure in blocking such radiation depends on the thickness of the tin foil, as dictated by the skin depth, the distance the radiation can propagate in a particular non-ideal conductor. For half-millimetre-thick tin foil, radiation above about 20 kHz (i.e., including both AM and FM bands) would be partially blocked, although tin foil is not sold in this thickness, so numerous layers of tin foil would be required to achieve this effect.

The effectiveness of the tin foil hat as electromagnetic shielding for stopping radio waves is greatly reduced by it not being a complete enclosure. Placing an AM radio under a metal bucket without a conductive layer underneath demonstrates the relative ineffectiveness of such a setup. Indeed, because the effect of an ungrounded Faraday cage is to partially reflect the incident radiation, a radio wave that is incident on the inner surface of the hat (i.e., coming from underneath the hat-wearer) would be reflected and partially 'focused' towards the user's brain. While tin foil hats may have originated in some understanding of the Faraday cage effect, the use of such a hat to attenuate radio waves belongs properly to the realm of pseudoscience.

A study by graduate students at MIT determined that a tin foil hat could attenuate incoming radiation depending on frequency. At WIFI frequencies - 2.4 GHz is attenuated by up to 90dB; the effect was observed to be roughly independent of the relative placement of the wearer and radiation source. At GHz wavelengths, the skin depth is less than the thickness of even the thinnest foil.
See bolded text, emphasis mine.
a tin foil hat could attenuate incoming radiation depending on frequency
Attenuate =/= amplify. The reason for amplification is
because the effect of an ungrounded Faraday cage is to partially reflect the incident radiation, a radio wave that is incident on the inner surface of the hat (i.e., coming from underneath the hat-wearer) would be reflected and partially 'focused' towards the user's brain
which is not a result of conductivity.
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Sure, tinfoil hats would usually tend to act like a Faraday cage, but the amusing link I included in my last post shows they can actually do the opposite in certain cases / frequency ranges.

Note that this is all tongue-in-cheek; don't get too serious with it. :wink:
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Foil wrote:Sure, tinfoil hats would usually tend to act like a Faraday cage, but the amusing link I included in my last post shows they can actually do the opposite in certain cases / frequency ranges.

Note that this is all tongue-in-cheek; don't get too serious with it. :wink:
But this is a conspiracy theory thread, Foil! What else are we supposed to be aside from deadly serious?! :P
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

First off, I am Flip, not Isaac :) Secondly, this is no conspiracy theory thread, that is a legitimate link in my first post, which I doubt you read. Thirdly, my point was along with Foil, as it depends on the frequency ;) and since faraday cages:
cannot block static or slowly varying magnetic fields, such as the Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside).
and since humans operate on this scale:
humans are, in fact, electrical machines (which is one reason we can't capture the last image a dead person sees). "Our senses convert external inputs, such as sound or light, into tiny electrical currents that are processed by the brain," Park says. "A stationary electric charge has an electric field, and a moving charge has a magnetic field. We have electrical and magnetic fields

a faraday cage could not block frequencies that could interrupt normal human electromagnetic function. I imagine though the results would be maybe disorientation, confusion, maybe nausea.

Yes the whole thing is tongue in cheek :D, but that is also not to say wholly possible. There has been great strides made in weather manipulation and I imagine a great deal that was wanted accomplished in my first post, has been. I can't help you lack imagination :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I probably should have said electromagnetic manipulation, instead of pigeon-holing it to just weather.
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

flip wrote:First off, I am Flip, not Isaac :) Secondly, this is no conspiracy theory thread, that is a legitimate link in my first post, which I doubt you read.
Actually, I did! It was interesting, to say the least.
flip wrote:Thirdly, my point was along with Foil, as it depends on the frequency ;) and since faraday cages:
cannot block static or slowly varying magnetic fields, such as the Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside).
and since humans operate on this scale:
humans are, in fact, electrical machines (which is one reason we can't capture the last image a dead person sees). "Our senses convert external inputs, such as sound or light, into tiny electrical currents that are processed by the brain," Park says. "A stationary electric charge has an electric field, and a moving charge has a magnetic field. We have electrical and magnetic fields

a faraday cage could not block frequencies that could interrupt normal human electromagnetic function. I imagine though the results would be maybe disorientation, confusion, maybe nausea.

Yes the whole thing is tongue in cheek :D, but that is also not to say wholly possible. There has been great strides made in weather manipulation and I imagine a great deal that was wanted accomplished in my first post, has been. I can't help you lack imagination :P
This is a valid point, I was not debating the possibility of weather manipulation. I just think that the "evul gub'mint is readin' mah thots 'n makin' me do stuff" theories are a little crackpot. HAARP is real, and probably fully functional, but I doubt it is used for everything people claim.
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Hehe, well, all I can say is this. If I had my hands on some of that stuff and thought I might could make somebody cluck like a chicken, I'd have to try it! :D In fact, this is exactly how the Air Force thinks too:
“The potential applications of artificial electromagnetic fields are wide-ranging and can be used in many military or quasi-military situations… Some of these potential uses include dealing with terrorist groups, crowd control, controlling breaches of security at military installations, and antipersonnel techniques in tactical warfare. In all of these cases the EM (electromagnetic) systems would be used to produce mild to severe physiological disruption or perceptual distortion or disorientation. In addition, the ability of individuals to function could be degraded to such a point that they would be combat-ineffective. Another advantage of electromagnetic systems is that they can provide coverage over large areas with a single system. They are silent, and countermeasures to them may be difficult to develop… One last area where electromagnetic radiation may prove of some value is in enhancing abilities of individuals for anomalous phenomena.”--USAF
You don't even have to read between the lines here, but I am curious and interested as hell at what "enhancing abilities of individuals for anomalous phenomena" means :D

EDIT: I bet this is where the "Voice of God weapon" comes into play. You can communicate through resonance and frequency, but I am not sure how you could achieve 2 way communications with this.
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

flip wrote:Hehe, well, all I can say is this. If I had my hands on some of that stuff and thought I might could make somebody cluck like a chicken, I'd have to try it! :D In fact, this is exactly how the Air Force thinks too:
You don't even have to read between the lines here, but I am curious and interested as hell at what "enhancing abilities of individuals for anomalous phenomena" means :D

EDIT: I bet this is where the "Voice of God weapon" comes into play. You can communicate through resonance and frequency, but I am not sure how you could achieve 2 way communications with this.
I understood it to mean "make people go bat-**** insane / cause hallucinations". :P While effective, it does not necessarily imply control over the effect.
~ Anthony Piers, Ghost
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well, that is one aspect, such as projecting a constant hum or high pitched frequency into someone's head would eventually drive someone bat-★■◆● crazy, but I understood the other to mean disrupting normal electrical functions of humans. Something that is relatively common to all individuals, so you could definitely expect a similar response each time.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

you would know, flip.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Hehe, yeah I guess so, I have an immense amount of collaborative evidence stored in my brain :D.