I guess that tech I suggested isn't too expensive after all

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: I guess that tech I suggested isn't too expensive after

Post by Tunnelcat »

Could it distinguish fireworks from gunshots I wonder?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yes…can’t you?

Well I guess you have to hear them all of the time to be able to tell the difference. (gunshots here several times a month)

Seems to be a huge waste of money…I mean…with all of those gun control laws in the state and city, who could possibly be firing all these shots.
Z..
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Z.. »

Probably the police shooting at an unarmed person 41 times.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

I thought all those anti gun laws that NY has and all the Money the Bloomberg spent getting rid of guns removed the need for such technology :roll:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

This kind of technology sounds like something that is only expensive when the military/government is doing it. One laptop and a half dozen cellular phones plugged in to key locations throughout an area with upgraded microphones could do it for dirt cheap after a few hours of programming.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:Yes…can’t you?

Well I guess you have to hear them all of the time to be able to tell the difference. (gunshots here several times a month)

Seems to be a huge waste of money…I mean…with all of those gun control laws in the state and city, who could possibly be firing all these shots.
True, but some of the illegal fireworks people shoot off here sound like cannons being fired. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Krom wrote:This kind of technology sounds like something that is only expensive when the military/government is doing it. One laptop and a half dozen cellular phones plugged in to key locations throughout an area with upgraded microphones could do it for dirt cheap after a few hours of programming.
I bet you could do it with nothing more than a free (seriously battery draining) app, any phone can listen from your pocket/bag, recording the past hour of audio. When the app receives a request, all phones can analyse their cached audio data and send the results (or just send the audio data, then analyse it centrally).
It could be calibrated by firing test shots every now and again. Better yet - have it sync to any church bells in your area. There's probably tons of loud non-suspicious sounds a cop car could make to regularly sync everyone's local system (once a day). Even a loud car muffler, but with a specific easy to identify signature/frequency, drive that around the city once a day.

It might not be particularly accurate, because of GPS inconsistencies. But if people are anything like me, their phone spends most of it's time on only a few specific desks at work/home (which could have their geolocation entered manually for very high accuracy). Hell, that'd be the perfect solution, because the battery drain won't be an issue if the app is only active when the phone is on it's usual charging location. Still... i think we all know better thesedays to trust an official listening device in our homes/offices to not snoop on us (no thank u).

But i doubt the police really expect to be able to pin-point the individual shooter amongst a crowd - all they want is a location so they can immediately dispatch units to the hot zone, a vague area.

Ok, in retrospect maybe just install the app on cop phones, and also add it to all cop cars (like Krom says, nothing special, just a cheap-as-★■◆● android device with a mic or 2 on the car roof). Surely that should be enough, what with all their patrolling.
They can sync everytime they return to the station (maybe during recharge).

.... ok now i'm getting kinda nervous about the posabilities of multiple cops walking around a crowd, like a protest maybe, automatically mapping the locations of every voice they can triangulate from the chatter. :(