Satan, part 2

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Satan, part 2

Post by callmeslick »

the Satan's Exemption thread got me to pondering this sculpture, which is in the works, and whether it is just a joke, or a celebration of religious pluralism. Read all about it:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... guinan.php
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Satan, part 2

Post by flip »

I didn't read the whole article and I myself afford every man his right to choose, but there is one thing that confounds me about these people. They obviously believe in unseen, powerful beings and out of the 2, they empathize with the devil?! Now, if they have the same perception of the devil's nature as I do, which doesn't necessarily have to be the case, it still makes me wonder. How exactly do they go about pleasing him?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

flip wrote:Now, if they have the same perception of the devil's nature as I do, which doesn't necessarily have to be the case, it still makes me wonder. How exactly do they go about pleasing him?
Why would you think they have the same perception as you? All you Christian's and such have wildly different views on God and how to please him, so why even attempt to imagine you can relate to a Satanist? You should just love them, like Jesus told you to.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

My instincts tell me that is what happens when a Goth grows up and never abandons his 'Gothness'.
It is both, prank of sorts (at least in the motivation to put the statue next to other religions displays) and a religion of at least one.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

which doesn't necessarily have to be the case
I thought I silenced you.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

callmeslick wrote:the Satan's Exemption thread got me to pondering this sculpture, which is in the works, and whether it is just a joke, or a celebration of religious pluralism. Read all about it:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... guinan.php
I do not really understand why this sculpture is you have such a keen interest. What do you think when you look at this sculpture?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

sigma, the sculpture is not even finished yet(see article), but is to be placed on the State House(capital) lawn in the state of Oklahoma. It is proposed in response to a law which that state passed, so that Christians could place religious monuments on State property. I, personally, view this as a political commentary more than an actual religious statement.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

callmeslick wrote:I, personally, view this as a political commentary more than an actual religious statement.
That. I'm actually surprised the Church of the FSM didn't do this first. They have so many enthusiastic members they could easily fund something like this in every major city in the US.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

No, I mean, what do you think about the meaning of this sculpture. What can it mean, this sculpture? What emotions or associations will call this sculpture from the people?
Despite the fact that I did not get your answer, I will say that personally I think about it. Chimera - a way to show that the person at the same time the animal lives and God and the devil.
According to the artist, who portrays a chimera as the personification of the diversity of human nature with the help of the human body and the head of the animal, should not be the standard, and even more so, the monument. Because the spiritual world is much more diverse than the opinion of one or another of the artist.
By the way, the sound of the bells of the Catholic personally I have is anxiety and depression, while the bells of the Russian Orthodox Church always of optimism and uplifting. This may be one of the most important components of the impact on the psyche and behavior of entire peoples.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Being originally from Oklahoma, I'm curious to see how this plays out.

It's clear that this is a political statement, not an act of religious worship. They created the sculpture in response to the ruling which allowed the placement of a Ten Commandments sculpture on state property, and they have been very vocal about the double-standard.

Personally, I don't think the sculpture will ever be placed at the capitol building. If the legislators' hand is forced by the lawsuit, they would probably find a way to move the Ten Commandments sculpture, rather than allow the Satanist sculpture to be placed.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

flip wrote:I didn't read the whole article and I myself afford every man his right to choose, but there is one thing that confounds me about these people. They obviously believe in unseen, powerful beings and out of the 2, they empathize with the devil?! Now, if they have the same perception of the devil's nature as I do, which doesn't necessarily have to be the case, it still makes me wonder. How exactly do they go about pleasing him?
I don't think they actually believe in the supernatural.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Jeff250 wrote:
flip wrote:I didn't read the whole article and I myself afford every man his right to choose, but there is one thing that confounds me about these people. They obviously believe in unseen...
I don't think they actually believe in the supernatural.
Exactly. As the article dives into a bit on page 3, there is a big difference between the Satanic Temple (the group creating this sculpture, who are trying to counter Christianity) and the Church of Satan (who have an actual religious belief system).
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

What’s amazing to me is…that someone actually feels the need to “counter Christianity” what is that something like homophobia, where if you see some Christian art, you might become one.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I don't think the legislature should find a way to prevent the statue from being installed.

They should just follow our presidents lead...prosecutorial digression....and telegraph your response in advance...

The offending statue gets placed. The authorities decide to pull the security patrols from the area. A bunch of angry villagers with pitchforks and welding torches carry it immediately to the scrap yard and sell it for beer money and the authorities decide to not prosecute.....security camera hard drives get scratched...etc. etc.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will,
The funders of the sculpture expect exactly what you suggest.

Foil,
It seems that unless the legislation allowing for religious monuments is repealed, the sculpture/monument WILL be erected. Apparently, the money is there to finish the process.
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

one wonders where the Atheists are
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I didn't hardly bother with the first thread. I get tired of atheists and their arrogance.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

CUDA wrote:one wonders where the Atheists are
It is quite surprising that in a country that shows on the banknotes Masonic symbols and the inscription "In God We Trust", however there are atheists. It is unclear why all atheists of America is not burned at the stake of the Inquisition.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Because unlike Russia. America has this little thing called the1st amendment. It affords us the freedom to think as WE want. Not as the government wants.

plus you're confusing Christians with Muslims. It's the Muslims that want everyone dead
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I am ready to argue with you. In fact, American religious fanatics in power have little differences from the Muslim religious fanatics. Just my opinion from the outside.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

This should be interesting.......

― Theodore Roosevelt
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Are you saying that you are having trouble to read the news from other countries? Or do you think only reliable news, which are written in English? :lol: You can not be so poor, while you constantly brag that you have access to any sites worldwide. Or you can, but do not want to read the news from other countries? :lol: In this case, what does your freedom, if you look only TV channels supermarkets? :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

callmeslick wrote:It seems that unless the legislation allowing for religious monuments is repealed, the sculpture/monument WILL be erected. Apparently, the money is there to finish the process.
Right. I'm saying that if the lawsuit succeeds, they'll repeal the legislation before they ever allow that sculpture to be placed.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Foil,
I would appear that the Courts have upheld allowing monuments to stop with the Ten Commandments, but a countersuit or appeal of some sort is certain. Just read that story today, or heard it on the news.
George Orwell---"1984"