just a reminder

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

just a reminder

Post by callmeslick »

.....TR knew his stuff, and yet, the right keeps on whining:Image
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: just a reminder

Post by Will Robinson »

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

/me points to his signature from the same man
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

ITT: People who don't know the difference between criticism and complaints.

INB4 guy who posts dictionary definitions

Also, regarding World War I:
"The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else."

"Roosevelt in the Kansas City Star", 149
May 7, 1918
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

it's so nice to read quotes in context. You can smell the agenda, when you get that above quote cherry-picked.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

callmeslick wrote:.....TR knew his stuff,
well since that quote cannot be contributed to TR kinda of makes your post look foolish
However, he did say
“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

still cherry picking the same speech, CUDA? Why?
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

oh, and my quote is the work of one Tony Stiles. The picture SHOULD have given that away, but......
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:oh, and my quote is the work of one Tony Stiles. The picture SHOULD have given that away, but......
callmeslick wrote:.....TR knew his stuff, and yet, the right keeps on whining:.../pic..

Lol!
So your attributing the quote to "TR" was what? The result of your inability to correctly decipher Tony Stiles initials?
You are shameless as always.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

who attributed what? I posted the picture(which,as best as I can tell, appears to be President Roosevelt), and the words at the bottom indicated the source. Quit grasping at straws, Will, it makes you look small and petty.
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:who attributed what? I posted the picture(which,as best as I can tell, appears to be President Roosevelt), and the words at the bottom indicated the source. Quit grasping at straws, Will, it makes you look small and petty.
Who did?!? You did! Look at the quote again....others will....

"TR knew his stuff"-slick <--- those words at the bottom clearly were your attempt to attribute the quote to TR.

Lol. Priceless!
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

callmeslick wrote:still cherry picking the same speech, CUDA? Why?
because YOU wont tell the truth about the President. so that leaves it up to the ones that will.

I'll point to the thread about the President not going to Paris. you said no major news network was reporting it, and this it was just a big deal in the Blogs. A lie? or an omission of convenience? either way you defend an action that now even the white-house says was wrong. and you did it with such vim and vigor that you leave us no option but to believe that you are incapable of criticism of this President
“A lie that is half-truth is the darkest of all lies.”
― Alfred Tennyson
"A concealed truth, that's all a lie is. Either by omission or commission we never do more than obscure. The truth stays in the undergrowth, waiting to be discovered."
Josephine Hart

― Theodore Roosevelt
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

callmeslick wrote:who attributed what? I posted the picture(which,as best as I can tell, appears to be President Roosevelt), and the words at the bottom indicated the source. Quit grasping at straws, Will, it makes you look small and petty.
WOW talk about Moon walking. you'd make MJ proud with that move

― Theodore Roosevelt
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

slick people everywhere just called and said the guy who uses 'callmeslick' is a lame wannabe who should come up with a more appropriate avatar.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

:lol: Will, keep on digging! Now, you're getting pathetic.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:
WOW talk about Moon walking. you'd make MJ proud with that move
what word of what I just wrote isn't true? Moonwalking? Sounds like someone is thinking WAY too hard, and doesn't like what the meme implies.
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

your INTENT was CLEARLY to attribute that quote to TR. you even said so
"TR knew his stuff"
now you try walking it back and say "IN THE FINE PRINT"

LOL, ya keep digging that hole

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

have a problem with the sentiment, CUDA, or are you just burned by the attribution confusion? Seems to me, you don't wish to deal with the actual statement, but would rather nitpick the messenger. The statement speaks, directly, to the American right, who has offered ZERO by way of solutions, and instead, makes us suffer through whining, nitpicking and the creation of 'scandals', while American problems don't get addressed.....except, by the one leader willing to focus on the problems, who sits in the White House.
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

you are the

Sorry Slick unlike the president you aren't made of of teflon, the more you dance the worse you make yourself look

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

what's to deflect? I posted a statement. You have launched into some sort of bizarre whine about attribution(although the picture with the statement contained the attribution of the author). Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Once again, I ask: any problems with the statement?
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

YUP

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

which would be?
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

wow, what a useless thread.

Went from what could have been a good topic in OT, straight to "i'm rubber, you're glue".

are you people six years old? FFS guys, get your ★■◆● together already!
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

No, this was a dog right from the start…bow wow.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

not a dog, it's a pig.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

oink
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Saw this and thought it was rather interesting.

Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

You know, unemployment numbers are a fake thing. They aren't counting all the people who are no longer able to get unemployment payments. There are no more extensions now as far as I know so more people are off unemployment without a job, therefore not counted.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Why doesn't it work?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Xamindar wrote:You know, unemployment numbers are a fake thing. They aren't counting all the people who are no longer able to get unemployment payments. There are no more extensions now as far as I know so more people are off unemployment without a job, therefore not counted.

you aren't wrong, but those facts were in place when Romney, Ryan and Gingrich made their 'bold' claims, too.
George Orwell---"1984"
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Since CUDA likes that Roosevelt quote in his signature so much, I'm sure we will see him praise the president for the good things he's done, no matter how uncomfortable that might be. Just the facts you know. And if you can't praise the rpesident, then you are not taking Roosevelt's word to heart. Remember, we currrently have a centrist president. If you don't agree on anything he's done then unfortunately that put you in the far, far right or left. Some of you enjoy the company there, but I'm not sure it is a patriotic place to be, and definitely not a position of compromise and good will, something the president is accused of constantly.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Ferno wrote:wow, what a useless thread.

Went from what could have been a good topic in OT, straight to "i'm rubber, you're glue".

are you people six years old? FFS guys, get your **** together already!
very true. I note where NO ONE has a reason they disagree with the statement. NO ONE. They just want
to ★■◆● because:
1) I posted it
2) I suggested that the statement sums up my core objection to Obama-era Republicans
3) they mistook me a claiming that Teddy Roosevelt made the statement.

yeesh!
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Only problem with that Bill Maher statement is the White House has very little to do with those things…well maybe the fake unemployment numbers. :wink:

It’s just being framed in a way that looks like they should get credit.

PS: In fact if the White House had its way, gas prices would still be going up, as was revealed in their plan to force people to conserve. (you know, global climate warming change thing and all)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

callmeslick wrote:
Xamindar wrote:You know, unemployment numbers are a fake thing. They aren't counting all the people who are no longer able to get unemployment payments. There are no more extensions now as far as I know so more people are off unemployment without a job, therefore not counted.

you aren't wrong, but those facts were in place when Romney, Ryan and Gingrich made their 'bold' claims, too.
When were they president and able to test their "bold" claims?
Why doesn't it work?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

they weren't....I hate to explain a humor piece to anyone, but seriously, they tried to sell those promises on the campaign trail, yet Obama has actually achieved ALL of them. The POINT is that one doesn't hear any of the three congratulating Obama on hitting a goal each of them felt CRITICALLY important.....and, that they inferred that Obama was incapable of doing.
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Yea, Obama did all those good things himself....just like he went out and found Ossama bin Laddin and shot him dead with his President's Pistol :roll:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Actually, all this really shows is their promises were bull★■◆● from the beginning. At the point where they were making these promises, it'd be hard to deliberately sabotage the economy enough to prevent them from happening all on their own. Its like someone running for president on the promise that the earth will continue to orbit the sun if they are elected, as if they have any control over it. It is worse than making promises they know they can't keep.