Lesbian Foster Family

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Lesbian Foster Family

Post by snoopy »

to lose placement.

For what it's worth, it appears to be a pretty dumb decision on the judge's part.

As an "insider" in the system (though, a different state's system):

1. The foster parents have no case. They have zero rights as foster parents. Foster children get moved all the time on what amounts to some little person's whim. It's a real shame, but it's true.

2. The birth mother and her attorney also don't have much weight in the matter. Their quibble is with the state and what they need to do to get custody of the child back. I don't particularly buy the whole "we want them to adopt and are just working on the paperwork" story... The paperwork is really easy, you can basically do it on the spot. Often birth parents will be offered a chance to sign away their rights right before termination (as in, on the way into the courtroom on the day of termination) because involuntary termination is a blight on your record. The child has been in placement for three months - plenty of time for BM to sign on the dotted line.

2. I didn't see anything in the story about the child advocate's position. I'm very curious to know what that attorney had to say on the matter. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to the story than the press is covering (maybe more that can't be legally released). How was the child attaching to the foster mothers? How well are they providing for the child? How far is the foster home from BM's home? Is this really just a story about judge activism, or is there more to it?

Overall, I hope the politics get out of the way, and what's truly best (in terms of her being in a loving home that provides for her needs) for the child happens.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan