Where are America's Morals

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Where are America's Morals

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

You're wrong, Ferno. There is nothing intrinsically primitive or pre-developed about raping a young boy. This is not something that is in any way normative before a culture becomes more enlightened or "evolved". It's no less wrong/evil/backwards for one culture or people than for another. Some cultures may not have an appreciation for contrived sensibilities on the matter coming from American culture, but the underlying principle is a very basic principle drawn from the very nature of humanity, and is something every person can understand and be held accountable for. Boys are boys, and men are men. Boys should be protected and brought up to be men, whereupon they are fit to deal themselves with the actions of other men. When a man is a man who preys on a boy (or a woman), instead of protecting the same, that man is not fit to live, to say nothing of the extreme perversion of treating a boy (or a man) like a woman.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

It would appear Ferno is trying to make the same mitigating excuses about cultural-ism as slick did. Sad to see 2 grown men make excuses about raping a 8 year old but what the hey, must be a intellectual thing.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

tunnelcat wrote:Premature pullout of troops from Syria? Putin sounds like Bush. Mission accomplished, but not really. :wink:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/put ... d=37637792
Russian bear just got scared and ran away with his tail between his legs.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

don't think so sigma. Putin appears to have read the tea leaves and with the upcoming peace talks, he probably thought staying there was pointless. They'll still maintain their naval base there so not like he is fleeing. Also by pulling out it paints Putin as a better peace broker than Obama.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

woodchip wrote:Also by pulling out it paints Putin as a better peace broker than Obama.
ahahahahahaha oh wait you're serious that's just sad
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:There is nothing intrinsically primitive or pre-developed about raping a young boy.
geez, crack open a history book sometime, will ya?
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Right after you thumb through a dictionary. You would be hard-pressed to adequately contest a well-founded (if I do say so myself), philosophical statement using any number of unconflicting historical accounts.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

so while we parse intervention in other culture's sense of morality, it is sort of tough to maintain moral superiority if elected representatives here are making sure that rapists can sue victims to prevent abortions. Yeesh.
http://www.politicususa.com/2013/01/14/ ... -bill.html
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

OMG...seriously!
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

yeah, Spidey.....what kind of sick ★■◆● even sits down and considers the tort rights of rapists against victims when writing a bill? OMG was pretty much what I thought when I read the article and double-checked the bill in the CR.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Spidey wrote:OMG...seriously!
No. That's just a bull**** scenario. What it actually means is that there would be no abortions. They would be illegal.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

care to elaborate, Thorne? The wording is in the text of the bill, and doesn't outlaw abortions at any point. Not sure what you are trying to say, above.
George Orwell---"1984"
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

The bill...
H.R. 23, 113th Congress wrote: Section 1. Short title

This Act may be cited as the " Sanctity of Human Life Act ".

Sec. 2. Declaration

In the exercise of the powers of the Congress, including Congress’ power under article I, section 8 of the Constitution, to make necessary and proper laws, and Congress’ power under section 5 of the 14th article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States—

(1) the Congress declares that—
(A) the right to life guaranteed by the Constitution is vested in each human being, and is the paramount and most fundamental right of a person; and
(B) the life of each human being begins with fertilization, cloning, or its functional equivalent, irrespective of sex, health, function or disability, defect, stage of biological development, or condition of dependency, at which time every human being shall have all the legal and constitutional attributes and privileges of personhood; and

(2) the Congress affirms that the Congress, each State, the District of Columbia, and all United States territories have the authority to protect the lives of all human beings residing in its respective jurisdictions.

Sec. 3. Definitions

For purposes of this Act:

(1) Fertilization

The term fertilization means the process of a human spermatozoan penetrating the cell membrane of a human oocyte to create a human zygote, a one-celled human embryo, which is a new unique human being.

(2) Cloning

The term cloning means the process called somatic cell nuclear transfer, that combines an enucleated egg and the nucleus of a somatic cell to make a human embryo.

(3) Human; human being

The terms human and human being include each and every member of the species homo sapiens at all stages of life, beginning with the earliest stage of development, created by the process of fertilization, cloning, or its functional equivalent.
Slick, I know it's hard with these websites you frequent, but give the ol' reasoning engine some gas. Murder is still illegal, isn't it? "Protecting rapists rights" indeed...
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

JFTR, my response was to linking that BS, not the ludicrous speculation presented in the story.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Thank you, Thorne. OK, I see your view that the intent is to allow for the potential of a complete ban on abortion, although the wording is so vague as to mainly not specify anything, and SCOTUS precedent would still make any localities' ban of abortion unconstitutional. Hence, the vague,but quite dangerous wording which allows for a window in which any termination can be challenged in court.
George Orwell---"1984"
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

It's not vague. This means that from conception there is a human life at stake, and this life is to be treated, legally, as any other human life.

The "cloning" parts feels like a bizarre peek into the future...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

callmeslick wrote:which allows for a window in which any termination can be challenged in court.
The language is not that vague. This wouldn't allow abortion to be "challenged in court", it would straight-up outlaw it. There's no "parental rights" or "rapist's rights" here; it's a bill entirely about fetal rights which treats their "right to life" as something the government is required to protect.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yeah, after reading that bill text the "ZOMG BUT RAPISTS!!!" argument makes utterly no sense.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Lothar wrote:
callmeslick wrote:which allows for a window in which any termination can be challenged in court.
The language is not that vague. This wouldn't allow abortion to be "challenged in court", it would straight-up outlaw it. There's no "parental rights" or "rapist's rights" here; it's a bill entirely about fetal rights which treats their "right to life" as something the government is required to protect.
but, to outlaw it makes no sense as that has proven unconstitutional. Redifining the role of government in protecting life doesn't alter that fact.
George Orwell---"1984"
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

callmeslick wrote:but, to outlaw it makes no sense as that has proven unconstitutional
Get used to it. Those of us who believe the unborn are entitled to life will keep trying to outlaw it. Just like those of you who believe guns are dangerous will keep trying to restrict them, even though the second amendment is an actually real and explicit part of the constitution.
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

"believe guns are dangerous?" I believe guns are dangerous. They believe the right of free people to defend their lives with lethal force is a barbaric notion, and stories of guns in the hands of criminals make them feel so helpless and vulnerable that they want to do away with them, with no concern for how the benefits weigh against the dangers...

That's a poor comparison.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Lothar wrote:Get used to it. Those of us who believe the unborn are entitled to life will keep trying to outlaw it. Just like those of you who believe guns are dangerous will keep trying to restrict them, even though the second amendment is an actually real and explicit part of the constitution.
I know you get worked up over this sort of thing, but try to remember to keep a cool head.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

come on. Guns are no more dangerous than strawberries. Who would feel they are dangerous? :roll:

I do get what Lothar is saying, but it was a terrible analogy.
George Orwell---"1984"
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Both are cases where both sides of the issue have a point, and they differ simply because they're weighing two issues very differently (life and lifestyle of the mother vs life of the child; ability to defend yourself vs risk to innocents).

And both are cases where one side believes the constitution gives them carte blanche to be completely unrestricted, but the other side believes they should be able to restrict or even completely outlaw it, and both have long histories of legal precedent but also a lot of 5-4 SCOTUS decisions that could be reversed with a single unexpected appointment (note that Merrick Garland has tended to side with DC-style gun control measures, and is completely untested on abortion in any way.)

Which means both are cases where the currently-legal side gets shocked that people from the other side would *dare* infringe on their *constitutionally protected right*. But the other side continues to make both open and sneaky attempts to restrict or outlaw, because they believe that some other constitutionally protected right (the life of the innocent) overrides it. So it's funny whenever somebody freaks out about like... "how dare they try to place restrictions on this?" as if it's completely unexpected and not at all one of the major legal/political battles of our time.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:come on. Guns are no more dangerous than strawberries. Who would feel they are dangerous? :roll:

I do get what Lothar is saying, but it was a terrible analogy.
No not terrible. Both sitting there are not dangerous. If you load a gun and let it lay around where children can pick it up and use it is just as dangerous as strawberries loaded up with rat poison and left around where children can find them. All a matter of perspective.

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:...it is just as dangerous as strawberries loaded up with rat poison and left around where children can find them.
How do you feel about the existence of a business that sells strawberries with rat poison in them? What's your "perspective" on that?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

It is evident, vision, that you are clueless. Go into any legitimate gun store, go thru all the guns that are displayed for sale, and then tell me you found one loaded. Blew this one didn't you.

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I'm still waiting on an answer. I want to know your perspective.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

My perspective is that if home invaders, muggers, terrorists, and the violently insane had a taste for them, they'd be between the pepper spray and the flashlights at the gun shop, and we'd carry bags of them on our belts opposite our holsters. This silly answer is for a silly question, however, because strawberries filled with rat poison can legitimately be confused with strawberries that are good to eat, and guns have never been subject to confusion with regular, harmless household items. Selling firearms is not irresponsible, but selling poison strawberries is.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:...strawberries filled with rat poison can legitimately be confused with strawberries that are good to eat, and guns have never been subject to confusion with regular, harmless household items.
Except for things like cell phones, wallets, keys, candy bars, and basically anything about the size of a handgun a trigger-happy police officer might mistakenly shoot you over. But I guess I'm being pedantic. I just wanted woodchip's perspective on a business that sells rat poison filled strawberries.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well if I have to draw you a road map vision, my perspective is the poison filled strawberries would be a bad thing...just like at Halloween people handing out apples with razor blades in them. So lets hear your reply.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

hell, I just tossed out the strawberry bit, because it's strawberry season....
George Orwell---"1984"
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

vision wrote:
Sergeant Thorne wrote:...strawberries filled with rat poison can legitimately be confused with strawberries that are good to eat, and guns have never been subject to confusion with regular, harmless household items.
Except for things like cell phones, wallets, keys, candy bars, and basically anything about the size of a handgun a trigger-happy police officer might mistakenly shoot you over. But I guess I'm being pedantic. I just wanted woodchip's perspective on a business that sells rat poison filled strawberries.
I don't think you're being pedantic. What you've done is stepped outside the bounds of a legitimate analogy, since possession of rat-poison strawberries could never elicit immediate danger from a third party (police officer--"put the strawberries down slowly!").

Strawberries, slick... strawberries!! :P
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:Well if I have to draw you a road map vision, my perspective is the poison filled strawberries would be a bad thing...
Would you be against a business that sold them?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:hell, I just tossed out the strawberry bit, because it's strawberry season....
I thought strawberry season was in the summer :)

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

vision wrote:
woodchip wrote:Well if I have to draw you a road map vision, my perspective is the poison filled strawberries would be a bad thing...
Would you be against a business that sold them?
OK, I'll bite...yes I would be against a business that sold them. Please don't tell me you are angling for a gun analogy.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote:hell, I just tossed out the strawberry bit, because it's strawberry season....
I thought strawberry season was in the summer :)
depends on how far South you venture.
George Orwell---"1984"