I suppose I could absorb this....

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

I suppose I could absorb this....

Post by callmeslick »

....but, howzabout the rest of you all?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/ ... li=BBnbfcN

an 11 grand per household hit would likely collapse the personal finances of at least 25 percent of the working populace of the US, I'd guess. Oh, and guess who
will pick up part of the slack by way of public social safety nets? The US government, which somehow will have survived the Donald slashing taxes and expanding military spending, while implementing a new set of health insurance laws. Yeah, that all sounds like a winning plan........
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: I suppose I could absorb this....

Post by woodchip »

It's a opinion piece slick...not reality.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

please point out your facts, and any data indicating that a tariff/trade war wouldn't cost at LEAST that much. Then, perhaps we can judge how realistic the writer's opinion is.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

The link says "opinion". Why should I believe his "opinion" or worse yet...yours?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

yet, he backs his opinion up. You don't.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

There's a old saying, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one". Like I said, why think his opinion is any better than anyone elses?

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

thank you, Fred Astaire. This 'opinion' is backed with two studies, historical observations from professional economists and the like, yet all you can do is yell OPINION!!!! and deflect. Ferno called you on something FAR more relevant and you whined about him. Pick one tack, you can't have it both ways.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Any bets someone will do a study and find the opposite results? Or even worse, after Trump get elected we have the flowering of a new golden age.

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Tariffs protected American industries and workers jobs for decades, before the term became a bad word for some reason.

No, a trade war is a very bad thing, but what the hell do you do when a country is dumping, and breaking all of the rules?

Make it clear, I don’t support Trump in any way shape or form, but we are getting the ★■◆● end of just about every trade deal, and just about everywhere outside those deals. (well mostly the workers)

In fact, I just heard some talk by Obama dealing with some sort of tariffs against China, the other day. Good for him!
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:Like I said, why think his opinion is any better than anyone elses?
Because not all opinions are equal. Opinions of highly trained individuals or those who are considered experts in their field are of greater weight and significance than those of the general public. Making all opinions equal is an idea created by tree-hugging liberals to save the feelings of idiots.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And yet "experts" were either for or against, for instance, Reagans trickle down economic plan. Expert opinion once stated the universe would stall and collapse back into itself, now we know the opposite. Pardon me if I take a jaundice view of the predictability of expert opinion.

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well…when it comes to professional opinions, which are in fact in a different class from a layman’s opinion…the honest thing to do would be to present views from the opposing camp, and or as many differing views from other professionals as reasonable…if not what you have is just more political bias.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

And of course we are free to question the validity of someone's claim to a superior grasp of anything based upon exposure or experience. I know people who have been in business for quite a long time who fail to recognize the simplest and most crucial concepts of running a business. "Expert" doesn't mean a damn thing unless it proves itself, and only then may it be supposed that opinions on the same basis have some special worth... I think this is what Woodchip was asking Slick, and Vision's otherwise stupid-obvious explanation managed to assume right over the most important consideration.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:Pardon me if I take a jaundice view of the predictability of expert opinion.
You mean by throwing critical thinking out the window? Good plan. Keep it up.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Critical thinking only functions with objective information and the chance to at least hear other opinions then the spoon fed ones from MSN.

So where are the other “expert” opinions on this matter…oh no wait, that must be my job, not that of the news outlet. FerShur

Ha! That’s why I watch The NewsHour, at least they try to give all sides of this kind of thing. (sometimes people are invited, but turn it down) They also avoid junk political crap like this.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

once again, I have to point out that MSN is merely my web portal, the article was NOT published by MSN, nor MSNBC, with whom I think some are confusing it with.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Fine…you have made your point, so I ask once again…where are the other opinions?