BREXIT!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

BREXIT!

Post by Nightshade »

Yes, it happened!
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: BREXIT!

Post by woodchip »

And Glorious Leader and Hillary Clinton! both got it wrong while Trump got it right. Wonder if the "“back of the queue” statement by Obama might come back to haunt him. Glad to see Trump has the instincts to be on the right side of history.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

this will be a financial/economic debacle for Britain. Hang onto your seats, because the US markets will feel it a bit. Feeling pretty good at my divestiture of all UK centered stockholdings(about 4 months ago when this idiocy surfaced).
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

This is one of the dumbest goddamn things I've ever seen, and a wonderfully damning statement about direct democracy.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Ah yes, the same board pundits who said Trump wouldn't be the GOP nominee. Why don't we wait a bit and see how it all turns out before you spew the doom and gloom scenarios.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Anyone with even the slighest working knowledge of economics knows that this will be an absolute clusterfuck for Britain, and very possibly lead to the disillusion of the UK. It's the direct result of low-information voters getting peddled a massive load of bull★■◆●. Normal schmucks should never have had this sort of direct say over decades-long international policy.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Snatching a few sec's of FOX this morning, i see they're worried Germany will become a nationalistic super power akin to the early 1930's. Come on guys, stick to your own politics, most of you are clueless about anything more than a car drive away!
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

actually, FC, I think(and I've been listening to a lot of folks from Europe this morning) that Germany will be the rock of stability. The decision will likely trigger right-wing groups from France and the Netherlands to campaign for separation, despite Boris Johnson's assertion that Brexit would kill off right-wing nationalist efforts. Bottom line is this: both Britain and the Euro will see a loss in currency valuation. Further, the Scots are already demanding another vote to exit the UK, as the first vote was predicated upon England remaining in the EU. The other really negative effect is upon British immigrants overseas(there are over 2.5 million of them) who might well be forced to return to Britain, as their healthcare and other benefits enabling life abroad are guaranteed by the EU. Thus, due to xenophobic fears, Britain has just shot themselves in the collective foot. As noted by another, this shows the downside of direct referendum on public policy, affected by sheer emotion, and shows why we have our relatively slow system of doing things in the US.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So slick, you are now approving of the do nothing congress. Funny how things suit you when the situation arises.

Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

callmeslick wrote: As noted by another, this shows the downside of direct referendum on public policy, affected by sheer emotion, and shows why we have our relatively slow system of doing things in the US.
Slick, this debate has been going on since 1973, it's not new at all.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:So slick, you are now approving of the do nothing congress. Funny how things suit you when the situation arises.
where on Earth do you make this stuff up from? I said I've ALWAYS supported our very gradual, checks and balances system of our Representative Republic. That is NOTHING like saying I wish to see nothing accomplished. Our system was designed to allow for THOUGHTFUL progress, not utter stalemate and dithering over trivia.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Flabby Chick wrote:
callmeslick wrote: As noted by another, this shows the downside of direct referendum on public policy, affected by sheer emotion, and shows why we have our relatively slow system of doing things in the US.
Slick, this debate has been going on since 1973, it's not new at all.
not at all, you are correct. Taking the debate to a public referendum and making it about xenophobia and not about economic reality was stupid, in this case.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

If the vote was about xenophobia, then the EU leadership was stupid in not understanding the underlying discontent and rectifying it before a vote was even brought up. And the xenophobia is understandable when foreign nationals are taking your jobs.

Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

callmeslick wrote: Taking the debate to a public referendum and making it about xenophobia and not about economic reality was stupid, in this case.
Wasn't about xenophobia, Slick, however much your media over there would like to think it is.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

FC, the left over here pretty much controls the main news outlets. Xenophobia and racism is a card the left constantly uses.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:If the vote was about xenophobia, then the EU leadership was stupid in not understanding the underlying discontent and rectifying it before a vote was even brought up. And the xenophobia is understandable when foreign nationals are taking your jobs.
however, it is sort of laughable when 2.5 million Britons live in other nations(and those doing so for employment may no longer have the opportunity), and a nation that colonized roughly 1/3 of the entire planet now has idiots whining about immigration. Just as here, immigrants are NOT taking jobs, they are just easy scapegoats.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Flabby Chick wrote:
callmeslick wrote: Taking the debate to a public referendum and making it about xenophobia and not about economic reality was stupid, in this case.
Wasn't about xenophobia, Slick, however much your media over there would like to think it is.
I am getting my information from British citizens, exposed to the advertising. Yes,it was, ever more so in recent weeks, about dark-skinned foreigners.
George Orwell---"1984"
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Good for them ! Now Germany can take over, third time's a charm :twisted2:
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Believe me, i know a hell of a lot more UK citizens than you...in all areas, from the Isle of Wight to Dumfries. It is my country, Slick (one of them). You're wrong.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

woodchip wrote:Glad to see Trump has the instincts to be on the right side of history.
Heh. Perhaps we should wait more than 12 hours to see how it all plays out before determining it was the right way to go. It could be a great success, or it could be a horrible mistake. I don't know. I'm betting Trump doesn't know either.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Germany will be GIVEN the job this time, given relative economic strength and the national will to reject isolationism. On another forum, a member explained that this is a rejection of globalization(he's a Trump supporter, and convinced that Trump is of that camp, too). My question to him, yet unanswered, was 'how do you plan to survive economically when the realities of modern economics are global?' As I pointed out to him, rejecting economic reality(and globalization is a reality, not some theory) is how the Islamic World got itself stuck in the 14th century.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Flabby Chick wrote:Believe me, i know a hell of a lot more UK citizens than you...in all areas, from the Isle of Wight to Dumfries. It is my country, Slick (one of them). You're wrong.
so, you viewed the ad campaign over the last 4 weeks? What do YOU feel the exit camp was selling? I have no doubt you know more people, and my sources(roughly 2 dozen, by my guess) tend to be retired, in the business of internatonal trade, or bankers. Most are from around London, some in Yorkshire and some up in Scotland(that crowd seems quite certain that Scotland will re-vote, and soon, to leave Great Britain).
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

woodchip wrote:And Glorious Leader and Hillary Clinton! both got it wrong while Trump got it right. Wonder if the "“back of the queue” statement by Obama might come back to haunt him. Glad to see Trump has the instincts to be on the right side of history.
Tell me mod, have you ever blocked or change the term "Orange Baboon" when used to be derogatory of Trump? No? Shows why you shouldn't be moderating this board.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

funny as hell, but Woody DOES have a point?
George Orwell---"1984"
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

woodchip wrote:Tell me mod, have you ever blocked or change the term "Orange Baboon" when used to be derogatory of Trump? No? Shows why you shouldn't be moderating this board.
Maybe if you reported it as offensive like many people are reporting your posts, it would get edited too.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Krom wrote:
woodchip wrote:Tell me mod, have you ever blocked or change the term "Orange Baboon" when used to be derogatory of Trump? No? Shows why you shouldn't be moderating this board.
Maybe if you reported it as offensive like many people are reporting your posts, it would get edited too.
Not good enough Krom. Letting the thin skinned Hillary lovers determine what gets edited simply shows political bias on the mods part. So if I call Hillary a orange baboon, I won't have it edited out?

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

nah, we'll just assume you've lost what few marbles you still cling to.
Oh, and I never reported you.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Actually slick, I never suspected you did. I respect the fact you can go toe to toe with me and not get all whiny over it.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nationalist tribalism just reared it's putrid head in Britain. Will it end up as a positive outcome for Britain? Most likely not, because once tribalism takes off, the other parts of Britain, Scotland and Ireland, will probably decide to leave the U.K. There's also that nasty little after effect of nationalist tribalism fed by xenophobia, authoritarianism. In Germany after WWII, it began as totalitarian Fascism and ended with total world war. No matter how this all fleshes out, xenophobia has taken over a nation, that Britain has probably committed economic suicide and that the U.K. will break up into 3 separate little economic walled fiefdoms. I sincerely hope the the U.S.A. doesn't follow in Britain's footsteps by electing an idiot like Trump, because he represents everything xenophobic and nationalistic that's downright evil and detrimental to everyone in this country. :roll:

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/ne ... r-britain/
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Actually the United Kingdom and the United States have organized a lovely bunch. Long ago asked good international audit. They deceived the people of European countries, which once again confirms that the United States can not be trusted.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

sigma wrote:Actually the United Kingdom and the United States have organized a lovely bunch. Long ago asked good international audit. They deceived the people of European countries, which once again confirms that the United States can not be trusted.
Unlike the dictators in Moscow and Beijing.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well NS, we need to police our own back yard now. If Trump wins the election, we'll have our own little dictator-in-chief to contend with come next January. :wink:

Sigma, don't assume the West is filled with a bunch of xenophobic idiots. It's really only about half of people who live in the West are a bunch of xenophobic idiots. :P

I'd also like to remind you that if it weren't for Britain and the U.S., Russia would have had a very hard time stopping and destroying the Nazis in 1945. We were allies at one time. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Not very hard, but the Americans have really helped us (saved many lives of people who are forced to fight. And a huge number of women who do not want to fight, unlike men). But only when U.S. realized that the Soviet Union could come to Italy and Spain in order to.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

callmeslick wrote:Germany will be GIVEN the job this time, given relative economic strength and the national will to reject isolationism. On another forum, a member explained that this is a rejection of globalization(he's a Trump supporter, and convinced that Trump is of that camp, too). My question to him, yet unanswered, was 'how do you plan to survive economically when the realities of modern economics are global?' As I pointed out to him, rejecting economic reality(and globalization is a reality, not some theory) is how the Islamic World got itself stuck in the 14th century.
There is absolutely no reason the UK cannot continue to operate in the global economy. National sovereignty and trade are not mutually exclusive.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

sigma wrote:Not very hard, but the Americans have really helped us (saved many lives of people who are forced to fight. And a huge number of women who do not want to fight, unlike men). But only when U.S. realized that the Soviet Union could come to Italy and Spain in order to.
Face it, Russia had a LOT of help from the U.S. and the winter weather. The Allies kept the Germans busy in Africa and Europe and bombed the hell out of their factories so that they couldn't build war material. Russia only had to contend with one German front. However, the Russians really know how to live and fight in the cold and snow. The Germans, not so much. They froze their butts off trying to invade Russia! Ice is your friend. :lol:

OK Spidey. What happens if Ireland and Scotland break away from Britain? I'm guessing that smaller nations don't have the advantage or clout that a larger nation or group of nations has when negotiating trade deals with other countries. It'll be interesting to see what transpires. Either way, it's a sign that nationalism and xenophobia is rising around the world, including here.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:
callmeslick wrote:Germany will be GIVEN the job this time, given relative economic strength and the national will to reject isolationism. On another forum, a member explained that this is a rejection of globalization(he's a Trump supporter, and convinced that Trump is of that camp, too). My question to him, yet unanswered, was 'how do you plan to survive economically when the realities of modern economics are global?' As I pointed out to him, rejecting economic reality(and globalization is a reality, not some theory) is how the Islamic World got itself stuck in the 14th century.
There is absolutely no reason the UK cannot continue to operate in the global economy. National sovereignty and trade are not mutually exclusive.
It is about the valuation of their currency, and cash reserves of the nation, now that they are the sole source of finance for a maze of social programs, some of which were a shared burden with Europe. Also, there are advantages they currently have for trade WITHIN Europe that will NOT operate as normal after they leave. That was, and has been, made clear to them beforehand. As I was just hearing, there is large body of the EU power structure that wishes to make the separation as painful as possible for Britain, partially to deter any other members who wish to pull the same pullout stunt. The extent to which they succeed will determine the longer term outcomes for the Brits. In the short run, they are going to be killed on the money markets, the stock markets and the bond markets due to mere uncertainty going forward. Couple that with growing reports that nearly 1/3 of all who voted Exit yesterday say they regret it now(a freaking day later??), and you have even more uncertainty, and the rumblings from both Scotland and North Ireland now make matters worse. I'd hate to have a lot of money in British corporations or sovereign bonds at the moment.........
George Orwell---"1984"
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

tunnelcat wrote:
sigma wrote:Not very hard, but the Americans have really helped us (saved many lives of people who are forced to fight. And a huge number of women who do not want to fight, unlike men). But only when U.S. realized that the Soviet Union could come to Italy and Spain in order to.
Face it, Russia had a LOT of help from the U.S. and the winter weather. The Allies kept the Germans busy in Africa and Europe and bombed the hell out of their factories so that they couldn't build war material. Russia only had to contend with one German front.
First, the Soviet Union fought on four fronts at once. German, Japanese, South-Muslim front and Finnish. Once again, I want to say thanks to the United States, even though everyone knows that they are not helping out of sympathy for Russia.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

If people were smart, they would of bought stocks indexed to the dow jones yesterday after the plunge.