sums up the past few months, nicely

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

sums up the past few months, nicely

Post by callmeslick »

"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: sums up the past few months, nicely

Post by Tunnelcat »

Slick, as much as what that guy says is pretty much right on target, I don't think most of the Trumptards are going to change their minds. Once a deluded groupie, always a deluded groupie, facts be damned.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

quite correct, but wow, the last year was a depressing eye-opener for some folks of my acquaintance. Surprisingly, not by any means a huge percentage. but still astounding in terms of how far downhill the American intellect has sunk.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What worries me is how Trump's people will take defeat if Hillary wins, which looks like might be the case come tomorrow. Some of them are downright crazy and angry, threatening violent revolution if Trump loses. Something else. I can't wait until tomorrow is over. I'm getting sick of the wall to wall campaign ads on TV. Gaaaaaaaaaaah!
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:What worries me is how Trump's people will take defeat if Hillary wins, which looks like might be the case come tomorrow. Some of them are downright crazy and angry, threatening violent revolution if Trump loses. Something else. I can't wait until tomorrow is over. I'm getting sick of the wall to wall campaign ads on TV. Gaaaaaaaaaaah!
It is not the Trump voters one needs be worried about, rather the loser left:
Some California cities saw heated tensions over Trump’s election. Thousands of protesters burned a giant papier mache Trump head in Los Angeles and started fires in Oakland intersections.

In Oakland, several thousand people gathered in Frank Ogawa Palaza, police said, clogging intersections and freeway on-ramps. According to KTVU, police used tear gas to disperse protesters after an unlawful assembly was declared

According to NBC New York, at least 60 people were arrested in the Manhattan protests

In Oregon, dozens of people blocked traffic in downtown Portland, burned American flags and forced a delay for trains on two light-rail lines. Earlier, the protest in downtown drew several Trump supporters, who taunted the demonstrators with signs. A lone Trump supporter was chased across Pioneer Courthouse Square and hit in the back with a skateboard before others intervened
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11 ... ction.html
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

A bit late for protesting...
CNN wrote: In response to Trump's victory, a shocking win fueled by the rural roar of a dismayed white America, tens of thousands in at least 25 US cities -- including New York and Nashville, Chicago and Cleveland, San Francisco and Seattle -- shouted anti-Trump slogans, started fires, and held candlelight vigils to mourn the result.
Edit: Heh, #Calexit. I'm all for it: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/10/politics/ ... index.html
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Meh, have some empathy. I'm not normally ok with protests like this after elections because I truly think we can only work as a country when the defeated give consent to be governed by the winner. I was ok with it in 2000 because there was shenanigans. I'm ok with it now up to a point because this was such a consequential election, and it basically represents the complete dismantling of not only policy issues one side holds dear, but also many of the norms of our democracy. It's a shock, and some pressure has to be released.

Try to remember we're on the same time.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I can’t empathize with hypocrites…one minute they are giving lectures about the peaceful transition of power…next minute they are raising hell.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Were the people now "raising hell" really the same people that "lectured" you? Or is it possible they are different individuals altogether?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

No, the comment doesn’t really imply the exact same individuals, more of a group indictment…but I think you already knew that.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Spidey wrote:but I think you already knew that.
I'm just hoping you'll understand that I'd be wrong call you a hypocrite for something woodchip says.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Vander wrote:Meh, have some empathy. I'm not normally ok with protests like this after elections because I truly think we can only work as a country when the defeated give consent to be governed by the winner. I was ok with it in 2000 because there was shenanigans. I'm ok with it now up to a point because this was such a consequential election, and it basically represents the complete dismantling of not only policy issues one side holds dear, but also many of the norms of our democracy. It's a shock, and some pressure has to be released.

Try to remember we're on the same time.
Are you OK with this?:
The shock and anger over Donald Trump’s ascension to the White House has triggered a flood of calls on Twitter and other social media outlets for the president-elect to be assassinated — and authorities will investigate all threats deemed to be credible, The Post has learned.
were the deplorables calling for the assassination of Obama back in 2008?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

They most definitely were.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

woodchip wrote:Are you OK with this?
Of course not.
were the deplorables calling for the assassination of Obama back in 2008?
Yes? (those appear to be legitimate rather than just idle threats, I didn't search further)

Should I get to blame you when some nutjob posted an assassination threat against Hillary to Twitter? That's ridiculous.

All I'm saying here is that "my side" is justifiably wigging the ★■◆● out right now, so maybe cut us some slack. However, rioting and assassination threats are never acceptable. I'm against that, and so are the vast majority on "my side," so you shouldn't paint us all with that brush. "The Left" isn't some hive mind.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Sorry Vander, it was a rhetorical question wondering how far you would go with your acceptance of the demonstrations going on.

Not sure why all the angst from your side. Too much propaganda by the likes of Soros is affecting a lot of the people on the left. Like others have said, this country has too many controls built in for one man to destroy it. Trump so far has seemed nothing but the gracious winner and I suspect he may surprise many of you with his leadership abilities.

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

woodchip wrote:Not sure why all the angst from your side.
You mean other than the opposition in control of congress, losing the possibility of a liberal majority on the Supreme Court, and having a game show host as President? Climate change denier as head of EPA? Maybe just do away with it? ACA repeal? Privatizing Medicare? Social Security? Overturn Roe v Wade? Defund Planned Parenthood? Another round of trickle down tax cuts for the wealthy? They sure need it. All of that is on the table now, and that is to say nothing of his more xenophobic campaign promises.

So unless this "straight talker" was lying about everything he wanted to do, which I have to say is entirely in the realm of possibility, people on "my side" have plenty reason for angst.

*edit

Consider if Dem's had just won in opposing fashion. Dem's obstructed your conservative SC appointment for the better part of a year as you were poised to have a conservative Court for the first time in decades. Polls showed you were looking at winning the Presidency, solidifying the court, and maybe even a shot at the Senate.

Then the election happened, and now the court you were hoping for is gone for another generation, Dem's control all three branches, and the new Dem President had campaigned on banning guns.

It's obviously not apples/apples, but you should get the point.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Where's my violin...

Well you can blame the media...they had your side convinced this election was a slam dunk, and probably convinced many to stay home.

Your side has the numbers...so no one else to blame.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Lets see...as Obama put it, " Elections have consequences, I won"