with laser focus Congress aims for....

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

with laser focus Congress aims for....

Post by callmeslick »

....the First Amendment. The Freaking First Amendment? Yup.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... li=BBnb7Kz
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: with laser focus Congress aims for....

Post by woodchip »

And where were you when Reid invoked the nuclear option?:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/1861 ... ilibusters

Will you be butt hurt when the Reps. use it?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

actually, I opposed that one, for just those reasons. Although, I note, you still use the dishonest diversion as your fallback. That had ZERO to do with freedom of expression.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Is this really about freedom of expression or proper behavior in the house. I believe that if all of the members still have the right to speak in an orderly manner, then nobody’s right to freedom of expression is being taken away. This is a law making body, not a college campus.

Personally I would simply leave the floor, when the other side is acting childish, and let the world see it. But that’s just me.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:Is this really about freedom of expression or proper behavior in the house. I believe that if all of the members still have the right to speak in an orderly manner, then nobody’s right to freedom of expression is being taken away. This is a law making body, not a college campus.

Personally I would simply leave the floor, when the other side is acting childish, and let the world see it. But that’s just me.
That's the best suggestion I've recently heard about this issue Spidey. A little decorum goes a long way towards some civility and maybe even a chance at getting people to work together for a change. Slick, remember, 2 sides can play the same game and the Dems really should be taking the high ground this time and not acting like a ticked off 2-year old. I can just hear what would the Dems be saying if the Republicans pulled a sit-in if they were currently in the minority. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

umm, if there were some spate of public protests against aggregious legislation, sure, I'd buy the decorum matter. However, to respond to one event, by a blanket ban on FB live streaming from the floor? Sort of reeks of wanting to put a few layers of curtains up to me.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Not necessarily. The Dems could walk out en-masse and hold press conferences telling everyone what's going on. They don't need to perform a dog and pony show on the floor just to get their point across. It comes off as childish. My husband actually remembers when the public could go up into the gallery to watch congress in action. Once a few Puerto Rican terrorists shot up the place, that went by the wayside unless you were invited by your congressman. I didn't hear anyone gripe about that change.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I can see the ban on personal recording devices, because that is open to abuse, and is the exact reason it is banned in many courtrooms.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

this is the People' House. That SHOULD matter to you all a bit more.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OK, how about this. There's usually a pool camera on all the time during any session. Right now, anyone can watch things on CSPAN, if they have cable or the internet. But last time the Dems pulled their little protest, Mr. God himself, Paul Ryan, had it turned off, thus prompting the live streaming by the Dems. Well, I say it has to be turned on as long as congress is in session doing the work of the people and no congressman or woman should have the power to turn it off. No hiding, no secret sessions.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Is a "sit in" considered "in session"?

Seems like a strange way to legislate to me.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:Is a "sit in" considered "in session"?

Seems like a strange way to legislate to me.
pay attention to that body. A lot of strange stuff happens.
George Orwell---"1984"