Remember when MTV actually played music?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Remember when MTV actually played music?

Post by Nightshade »

...that day and age is long gone.

Now they just act as another 1984 style channel of "Newspeak" propaganda for the leftist state.

Newspeak is the fictional language in the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, written by George Orwell. It is a controlled language created by the totalitarian state Oceania as a tool to limit freedom of thought, and concepts that pose a threat to the regime such as freedom, self-expression, individuality, and peace. Any form of thought alternative to the party’s construct is classified as "thoughtcrime".

Sound familiar? Only today, it's isn't a fiction. Political Correctness is the "Newspeak" of Orwell's nightmare.

I guess I've committed "thoughtcrime" many times in the eyes of slick, Vander and others on this board. :twisted2:
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Remember when MTV actually played music?

Post by callmeslick »

:roll:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

erp, doublepost.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote::roll:
[Removed - personal shot]
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

[Removed - personal shot]

As for this topic, it was publicly flogged to death over a week ago. Second, yet again, we take out the broad brush, and take one goofy segment on one sort of semi-music channel(I have NO idea what their programming consists of, but I'm betting political commentary is a really small part of it) and extrapolate to an entire network, and then to some sort of goofy thing about Progressives. For crying out loud, you assclowns just elected a guy shown to have lied in over 80% of his public statements over a two year period. Don't lecture anyone about political commentary, or disinformation. You own it.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

No slick, the lying Dems and their lying main stream news organs own it.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Nightshade wrote:I guess I've committed "thoughtcrime" many times in the eyes of slick, Vander and others on this board.
Mmhmm. Don't pull a muscle carrying around that persecution complex.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Vander wrote:
Nightshade wrote:I guess I've committed "thoughtcrime" many times in the eyes of slick, Vander and others on this board.
Mmhmm. Don't pull a muscle carrying around that persecution complex.
You certainly don't decry political correctness. If anything, you seem to embrace it- as has slick.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:No slick, the lying Dems and their lying main stream news organs own it.
so the fact that Trump lies more than any 'mainstream organ' you can wave around isn't important. And, that is proven fact.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

That would be a hard "fact" to prove.

Especially considering the amount of information disseminated by media vs. Trump.

Here…I have a new year’s resolution for non-whites…

How bout instead of teaching your children that local businesses “exploit the community” you start teaching something more positive…

Perhaps how local businesses help pay for your children’s education…oh and you might want to keep your kids in school, and not waste that contribution.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Nightshade wrote:You certainly don't decry political correctness.
Well, I wouldn't want to offend the delicate snowflakes. :)

I don’t decry political correctness because I don’t see it as the Worst Thing In The World. Political correctness, by my definition, is just the seeking of or the result of agreed accommodation. Personally, I think if people would give and take less offense, there would be a greater space in the middle to work within.

Sure, there are ridiculous people offended by ridiculous things. What do you want me to do, be offended?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Obviously, if Trump is the one complaining the most about the media, he's doing most of the "exaggerating".

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/12/the-whoppers-of-2016/

But Peter Thiel summed it up best.
Peter Thiel wrote:The media is always taking Trump literally. It never takes him seriously, but it always takes him literally.....But a lot of voters think the opposite way: They take Trump seriously but not literally.
In other words, the media wanted details and facts, but all they got from Trump was hyperbole. :wink:

Vander, I think there's another reason for political correctness. It comes down to people being polite and showing respect to others. But being PC comes about as a means of societal enforcement of that politeness and respect towards others. Republicans just don't want to be forced to be polite or respectful to others they disagree with or don't like. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Vander wrote:
Nightshade wrote:You certainly don't decry political correctness.
Well, I wouldn't want to offend the delicate snowflakes. :)

I don’t decry political correctness because I don’t see it as the Worst Thing In The World. Political correctness, by my definition, is just the seeking of or the result of agreed accommodation. Personally, I think if people would give and take less offense, there would be a greater space in the middle to work within.

Sure, there are ridiculous people offended by ridiculous things. What do you want me to do, be offended?
Political Correctness, as it seems to be defined by some, is what we were taught to be POLITENESS. In other words, saying things you know might be offensive isn't bold, it's rude and childish.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Political correctness isn’t about being polite, its about avoiding reality.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Spidey wrote:
Here…I have a new year’s resolution for non-whites…

How bout instead of teaching your children that local businesses “exploit the community” you start teaching something more positive…

Perhaps how local businesses help pay for your children’s education…oh and you might want to keep your kids in school, and not waste that contribution.
Can we instead have a resolution from white people to stop putting vaguely-racist words in non-white people's mouths?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

What…I thought over generalizing was the theme here.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:Political correctness isn’t about being polite, its about avoiding reality.
and, you'd disagree that some folks use that as a smokescreen for merely being offensive?
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

No, I wouldn’t disagree…but on the other hand if I said you were fat instead of calorically challenged, that would simply be a statement of fact, not an attempt to be offensive.

(not you personally)
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

let's just hope we see a President who actually doesn't lie every freaking day:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/28/tru ... to-the-us/

because the President-elect is incapable.
George Orwell---"1984"
Logan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Logan »

woodchip wrote:No slick, the lying Dems and their lying main stream news organs own it.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Vi ... tributions

63% to Republicans.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Sure, they give money to Republicans in attempts to own them, no need to give to those they already own… :wink:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:let's just hope we see a President who actually doesn't lie every freaking day:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/28/tru ... to-the-us/

because the President-elect is incapable.
Like Obama didn't constantly lie. Hey TC, still believe if you like your insurance plan you can keep it. Or "It was a video that caused out ambassador to be killed.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

no comparison. You know it, but lie to keep your wet dream of Trumpland alive. Ain't going to happen. I just read that the weasels have backed away from Trumps goals for economic growth(anyone who understands economics knew 5 percent growth doesn't happen in developed nations), and then that Obamacare repeal might not take effect until AFTER the 2020 election.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

"Might" and "just read a fake news story" don't cut it slick

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

lying again, Woody? Another day begins in Trump wet-dream fantasy land.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Where did I lie. Accusing others of lying when you can't back up what you post is a sign of a weak mind slick.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

please find where I described a fake news story. I'll find it, although it isn't really germane. You will lie about it, no doubt, and life continues.
George Orwell---"1984"