Climate heretic must be punished!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Climate heretic must be punished!

Post by Nightshade »

A climatologist at Georgia Institute of Technology resigned from her post because she could no longer navigate the stifling political orthodoxy on climate change.

Former chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Tech Judith Curry announced her resignation in a blog post on Tuesday. While he resignation is technically "a retirement event," and she is "cashing out" to get her pension, Curry explained that "the deeper reasons have to do with my growing disenchantment with universities, the academic field of climate science and scientists."

Curry is known for her scientifically astute explanations of the uncertainties in climate science. Indeed, she has been attacked as "anti-science" by other researchers who repeat the rote "scientific consensus" that man-made global warming is a catastrophic threat to humanity. In a cruel sort of irony, the universities — ostensibly the bastion of academic freedom — have become unsafe for those who, using good scientific methods, are skeptical of the received wisdom on climate change.
https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/01/06 ... epage=true

When did climate science become a religion?
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Climate heretic must be punished!

Post by Top Gun »

When will you stop using profoundly shitty sources?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yep. A story that's only found on a couple of very conservative sites. Back up your stories with better sources NS. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Problem is, CNN or MSNBC would never print a story like this. what will be interesting is, what happens when Trump starts directing money away from the warmers research pockets and puts it in the deniers pockets?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:Problem is, CNN or MSNBC would never print a story like this. what will be interesting is, what happens when Trump starts directing money away from the warmers research pockets and puts it in the deniers pockets?
I agree that they wouldn't say a thing. They are partisan. But nowhere are there other more mainstream sources saying peep about this, so the fake propaganda quotient is high. As for the money now being sent into the climate deniers pockets by Trump, we'll soon start seeing less investment in clean and more efficient energy and far more pollution in our air and water, because profit is king and we can all just choke or be submerged in the poison that's left over from making that profit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_ ... urry_spill
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

woodchip wrote:Problem is, CNN or MSNBC would never print a story like this. what will be interesting is, what happens when Trump starts directing money away from the warmers research pockets and puts it in the deniers pockets?
If Trump is willing to mortgage the entire planet's future for the sake of some bull★■◆● business ties, then he should immediately be removed from office. By force, if necessary. The drooling idiots of the world should not be allowed to rule.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Top Gun wrote:
If Trump is willing to mortgage the entire planet's future for the sake of some bull★■◆● business ties, then he should immediately be removed from office. By force, if necessary. The drooling idiots of the world should not be allowed to rule.
Did buy your AR-15 yet ?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Nah, not quite redneck enough for that.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I just be amazed by the ★■◆●ing American conceit. They want to change the climate of the planet, but nevertheless they do not want anyone to cooperate on this issue. These wind generators, you have forced Europe to install and fuel standards and they was forced to do, and any economic sanctions against other countries not will solved the problem. Oh, you guys are idiots, forgive me, Lord.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

We have not done any of those things.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Top Gun wrote:We have not done any of those things.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Sigma, we're the last country able to force anything on combating climate change. We weren't even a Kyoto signatory. We literally can't even get our own shot together on climate change, thanks to a pathetically uneducated electorate. How in God's name do you think we have any influence over Russia in this? Stop using us as a scapegoat and start paying attention to what your resident dictator is up to.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote: As for the money now being sent into the climate deniers pockets by Trump, we'll soon start seeing less investment in clean and more efficient energy and far more pollution in our air and water, because profit is king and we can all just choke or be submerged in the poison that's left over from making that profit.

Yeah conservatives want to poison their kids and family members. You convinced me, guess I'll start voting liberal so kids can look forward to low paying McDonalds jobs as career profession.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

McDonalds are likely to be fully automated within the next 10-20 years, while conservatives will still be bitching about immigrants and China stealing all our jobs.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:
tunnelcat wrote: As for the money now being sent into the climate deniers pockets by Trump, we'll soon start seeing less investment in clean and more efficient energy and far more pollution in our air and water, because profit is king and we can all just choke or be submerged in the poison that's left over from making that profit.

Yeah conservatives want to poison their kids and family members. You convinced me, guess I'll start voting liberal so kids can look forward to low paying McDonalds jobs as career profession.
Trump has stated that he's going to bring back coal. Even if he breaks his promise to Virginia coal miners and can't bring back coal because of the new market pressure from natural gas, he'll even still favor natural gas eventually, because it's good for business and the economy and we all need cheap power and heat. Never mind that fracking for that gas is poisoning our ground water and creating earthquakes that are destroying people's property. Corporate interests will always come first for a businessman like Trump. Frankly, hardly once have I seen a Republican put the health of our planet and our species before jobs and corporate interests and profits. It's so rare that it's in the realm of myth.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I thought McDonalds was already manned by automatons. :wink: :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

They're actually already trying it out. I guess you won't have to worry about spit in your food anymore. :P

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20030 ... 5236.shtml
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Krom wrote:McDonalds are likely to be fully automated within the next 10-20 years, while conservatives will still be bitching about immigrants and China stealing all our jobs.
think 5 -7 years, Krom, by all reliable reports I have.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

oh, and IF he somehow gets demand for coal up, they'll get the stuff by lopping off mountains and sending a bunch of automation in to haul it out. The days of a few hundred gritty fellows descending into a deep mine just is never coming back. Costs WAY too much money for any hope of recovery. Cheaper to utterly destroy the landscape and pay a few dozen equipment operators. Just wait until the shipping gets done via driverless trucking. You don't think, for a moment, that they are doing all that R and D so you can have a driverless car, do you? Hell, that will come, but will be pricey for a while. Not so as a component of the pricing of an 18 wheeler. It will cost, but the damned rig costs, and if no one has to pay a driver for the life of the vehicle? Driverless, if fully functional pays for itself, fast.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

callmeslick wrote:think 5 -7 years, Krom, by all reliable reports I have.
It wouldn't surprise me, I just gave a conservative estimate. The advancements that have happened in machine/computer vision in the last ~5 years are almost unbelievable, and they are still accelerating more and more every day. Cars that drive themselves, and do it a hell of a lot better than a human are probably closer than you would think.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Trump playing his deluded grade-school-educated base like a goddamn fiddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Top Gun wrote:Trump playing his deluded grade-school-educated base like a goddamn fiddle.
Just like Obama did.

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Oh you are just precious aren't you?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

As precious as Bee was when Obama was first elected.

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Top Gun, the U.S. is almost bankrupt, it's just an old outdated financial pyramid.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

...have you looked at Russia's economic data recently? :lol:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Top Gun wrote:...have you looked at Russia's economic data recently? :lol:
You lot do not know about Russia. I will not give aphorisms, but if Russia wants, USA will be in her pocket.
P.S.You specifically provoke? You live badly?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I like you. You're silly.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Top Gun, I respect your patriotism. Maybe if I'd been born in the United States, I would be a fierce patriot of the United States.
But in the end, there is common sense, and we somehow have to adhere to.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

they wouldn't publish it because it's utter nonsense. Trump isn't going to find new facts, just try to squelch the truth. That's what dictators try to do.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

sigma wrote:Top Gun, the U.S. is almost bankrupt, it's just an old outdated financial pyramid.
dude, I can and do invest around the planet. With real money. I would no more invest in your nation than anything. Not so the US, although I'm a few days from making a serious reposition into other parts of the world away from both.
George Orwell---"1984"
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Well, quite right, the Americans are not used to invest, they are used to steal.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Krom wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me, I just gave a conservative estimate. The advancements that have happened in machine/computer vision in the last ~5 years are almost unbelievable, and they are still accelerating more and more every day. Cars that drive themselves, and do it a hell of a lot better than a human are probably closer than you would think.
trucks will be there first. On a passenger car, self drive is a high-tech luxury. On an 18 wheeler, it is a ticket to high profit margin and as a percentage of the cost of producing the vehicle,rather affordable.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

sigma wrote:Well, quite right, the Americans are not used to invest, they are used to steal.
don't have a ★■◆●ing clue, do you?
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
Krom wrote:
trucks will be there first. On a passenger car, self drive is a high-tech luxury. On an 18 wheeler, it is a ticket to high profit margin and as a percentage of the cost of producing the vehicle,rather affordable.
Trucks yeah but not for over the road use. More like in station yards or in on-site strip mining sites

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote: Trucks yeah but not for over the road use. More like in station yards or in on-site strip mining sites
according to my friends at Intel and others, they will be road ready before 2020. In bulk. The only and I repeat ONLY potential holdup is local laws, but the technology is 95% there NOW.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote: Trucks yeah but not for over the road use. More like in station yards or in on-site strip mining sites
according to my friends at Intel and others, they will be road ready before 2020. In bulk. The only and I repeat ONLY potential holdup is local laws, but the technology is 95% there NOW.
Well your buddies are wrong. NPR did a interview with a guy who was big into autonomous vehicles and that was his assessment.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

that NPR piece was discussed among my group the other day(i heard it, too), and the techies all laughed. As I said, the tech is there, or should be in a year or two with current trajectory, the rules and regulations are not.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So you are saying NPR is putting out fake news also? That their sources are incompetent boobs? Or that your "friends" are more knowledgeable than everyone else.?

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:So you are saying NPR is putting out fake news also?
[removed - personal shot] I said no such thing, merely that my friends felt that the source interviewee wasn't on the cutting edge on some issues. You don't really understand 'fake news' as it contrasts with 'difference of opinion around current data', or purposely lying for some reason?

I know how my investment judgements will be made and on what timeframe.
George Orwell---"1984"