[SPLIT]Lost in Translation

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

[SPLIT]Lost in Translation

Post by sigma »

callmeslick wrote:
Nightshade wrote:
callmeslick wrote:I guess TB's attitude illustrates exactly what has been wrong with US foreign policy, by and large. We wish to decry and dictate to every culture who has a different norm than us.
So slavery would be perfectly acceptable to slick if it were a 'cultural norm.'
in someone else's country, yes.
You do not say! In the U.S., more than anywhere else, this is the office plankton and actually slaves.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Bigots oppress Iranian chess player.

Post by callmeslick »

Sigma, I am dying to know what 'office plankton' was intended to mean.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

callmeslick wrote:Sigma, I am dying to know what 'office plankton' was intended to mean.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm a little surprised that you do not know this expression.
This office mole, which is ready to do anything to save the job or career.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I shouldn't add to the diversion of this thread since I'm the mod, but I couldn't resist. We have a LOT of words to describe that kind of person sigma, but never have I heard of "office plankton" being used as an English expression. Must be a Russian thing. Here are some of them typically used here:

Toady, bootlicker, yes man, groupie, suckup, lackey, adulator, flunky, minion, butt kisser, brown noser, parasite, puppet, slave, groveler, doormat, hanger-on, parasite, loser and sycophant. :lol:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Cat, I laughed to tears :lol:
P.S. Perhaps it is really just Russian slang.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

what TC said, Sigma, and thanks for going to the trouble to clarify. Yes, I know the type, don't ever recall hearing the expression.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

sigma wrote:Cat, I laughed to tears :lol:
P.S. Perhaps it is really just Russian slang.
Which got me thinking about translations. I'll bet the word "plankton" is similar in meaning to "scum" or "slime" in Russian, which does in fact describe the typical office sycophant. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Tunnelcat wrote:Toady, bootlicker, yes man, groupie, suckup, lackey, adulator, flunky, minion, butt kisser, brown noser, parasite, puppet, slave, groveler, doormat, hanger-on, parasite, loser and sycophant. :lol:

Very good words. I prefer 'cuck' and 'cocksucker' myself to describe such a person.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: [SPLIT]Lost in Translation

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno wrote:Very good words. I prefer 'cuck' and 'cocksucker' myself to describe such a person.
I wonder what the Russian words are for those 2 lovely nouns? Google translate gave me this for your second example (not going to repeat it): хуесос

It couldn't come up with a Russian equivalent word for "cuck" however since that one seems to be a new bastardized English Alt-Right term that came from combining the words "cuckold" and "conservative", which means an "emasculated conservative" or "cuckservative". I know THOSE words are not going to translate for sigma either. At least now I know what the derogatory term "snowflake" means as well. NS lost me at first when he added a snowflake to the Canadian Flag in another post. Hmmm, that's almost name calling. :P

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pol ... story.html
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

That wasn't even the right flag, either. It was kind of funny watching the terrible flailing that I almost felt sorry for him. But then I laughed because it was just so hilariously absurd.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Tunnelcat wrote:
Ferno wrote:Very good words. I prefer 'cuck' and 'cocksucker' myself to describe such a person.
I wonder what the Russian words are for those 2 lovely nouns? Google translate gave me this for your second example (not going to repeat it): хуесос

It couldn't come up with a Russian equivalent word for "cuck" however since that one seems to be a new bastardized English Alt-Right term that came from combining the words "cuckold" and "conservative", which means an "emasculated conservative" or "cuckservative". I know THOSE words are not going to translate for sigma either. At least now I know what the derogatory term "snowflake" means as well. NS lost me at first when he added a snowflake to the Canadian Flag in another post. Hmmm, that's almost name calling. :P

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pol ... story.html
No no no. In no case do not speak Russian guy the word "хуесосl".You can be at once severely beaten and even killed.
Probably, that's the best illustration of the expression "office plankton"

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

We have a land-based example that matches your Krill analogy. We call them "sheeples" (it's a word that's a combination of "sheep" and "people"). These types always follow the herd and never think for themselves. Also, I'll never say the word "хуесосl" to any Russian, ever. :lol:

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Tunnelcat wrote: At least now I know what the derogatory term "snowflake" means as well.almost name calling. :P
Funny)
In the Russian language, if someone would call you "snowflake", you can rest assured that you'll have magic dinner with candles with a bouquet of flowers at an expensive restaurant and a fabulous night.