Pity

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Pity

Post by woodchip »

After under going 4 days of no power after 70 mph winds blew thousands of lines down in the Detroit area, I can only feel bad for what the NYC are is going to get hit with. At least we didn't have any snow and NYC might get as much as 18". If they get the high winds we got, they will have a real mess. Any of you live in the NYC are that can keep us updated?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Pity

Post by callmeslick »

best I can do is the Delaware valley, where we are getting the Lite version, supposedly:a 6-10 inches of snow and 30 mph gusts. With a lot of trees and shrubs budding, this could put a hurt on plant life.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

of course, the initial predictions were iffy:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

much clearer picture now:
George Orwell---"1984"
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

It's going to be 78 and sunny today. :)

This was a couple weeks ago, though:

That storm knocked down power lines all over the area. Lots of trees fell. Had 70+ MPH gusts a few miles away.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The East Coast is getting the PNW's last week's leftovers. While the East Coast was basking in warm, springlike weather a week ago, on Sunday night March 5th, we got 6 inches of very wet heavy snow right out of the blue, all within a 6 hour period. By Monday evening, it was almost all gone. But it left my yard a mess since most of that snow came during the night. By the morning, the damage was already done. Large bushes laid over that I now have to tie up to big steel stakes just to get upright and a nice little Magnolia Tree with 2, large partially broken branches. I've currently tied up the branches and glued the broken areas with urethane glue. Once the glue is set and I remove the excess glue (and the damn rain quits), I'll spray the damaged areas with tree wound spray and bind them with grafting tape. The 2 branches are still alive, so I'm hoping that they survive the summer and grow around the breaks, otherwise, I'm going to have a very lopsided little tree. :frown:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

surviving all weather so far, and pretty much off topic, TC, but one of these days, I'll post a picture of my magnolia in Virginia(consists of at least 24 separate root stems, is about 40 feet in all directions).
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

update: a bit of snow, a lot of sleet, some rain and some serious gusty winds. Messy, but hardly catastrophic. Similar reports from friends in CT and Boston area.
George Orwell---"1984"