Don't like certain speech?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Don't like certain speech?

Post by Nightshade »

Just shut it down!
In an extraordinary development, Westmonster has found that the world famous Drudge Report has been marked as “sensitive material” by Twitter, with some users now having to OPT IN in order to see tweets. Hardly any tweets from Drudge were visible today when Westmonster logged in.
http://www.westmonster.com/twitter-censors-drudge/

As a private business, Twitter can do as it pleases- but people should be aware that they are not politically unbiased.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Don't like certain speech?

Post by callmeslick »

maybe they are just tired of being a sewer of proven lies?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It would be interesting to see what twitter considers on Drudge to be "sensitive material". How would you know it unless you read it? :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The fact that some people believe “the right must be marginalized” is one of the reasons we have Trump in the White House.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, I for one used to watch the Drudge Report when he was on TV back during the Bill Clinton impeachment hearings. It was a refreshing change from the mainstream news outlets who were nothing but Clinton apologists. However, now I mostly avoid his site. He's gone a little too far off the deep end for my tastes. I'd still like to know what material Drudge is putting out that twitter considers "sensitive material", unless you count some of his fake news as sensitive. If that's the issue, you'd pretty much have to censor most of the internet.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

he was spewing BS back then, you were just more receptive.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote:he was spewing BS back then, you were just more receptive.
Drudge has gone full Alex Jones and Trumpbot in some ways- but he's still a voice of opposition that must be silenced by the media elite.

By the way, I'd rather have his BS than yours slick. ;)
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I'm sure you would. Facts don't seem to concern you.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:maybe they are just tired of being a sewer of proven lies?
Drudge report, Like your MSNBC, is nothing more than a portal for news outlets.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

my beef is around how it ALWAYS(going back to Clinton days) was about Matt and his persona, and you can just smell that actual facts go by the wayside if it doesn't fit the schtick. With your MSNBC comparison you have a network that, if you tuned in from time to time, is hardly monolithic. Over time they've sort of sent the real ideologues packing(Sharpton, Olbermann, Ed Shultz, etc), and now have a liberal leaning but more fact based crew. Hell, they now have Greta Van Sustern, my new 6 pm viewing some nights(if it isn't My Little Pony or Peppa Pig).
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well the Clinton days are 2 decades old. Drudge has changed...as did MSNBC.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Well the Clinton days are 2 decades old. Drudge has changed...as did MSNBC.
if you say so. I don't see it. If anything, in his case, he's gone towards the fringes. Likely trying to find a niche market of some sort, but hardly anything one could EVER call 'real journalism'. The same cannot be said of MSNBC, unless one has no clue what actual 'journalism' entails.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

callmeslick wrote:he was spewing BS back then, you were just more receptive.
No, not receptive, just more entertained. It was however, a great diversion from all the Clinton butt kissing that was going on in the mainstream press however. It was absolutely unwatchable at times and finally I got sick of it, and I'm a liberal-leaning person. Sure, the Republicans were on a ridiculous taxpayer money wasting witch hunt, but Clinton DID bring it on himself. He could have saved us all a boatload of anger and taxpayer money by admitting that he actually DID HAVE SEX WITH THAT WOMAN. :wink:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

If he had, we'd hear nothing but republicans screaming 'unfaithful cheater!' and other nonsense for about as long.

It was a no-win situation.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

True. But the drama wouldn't have lingered for so long nor cost so much and I would've given Bill the benefit of doubt for being a honest but fallible human being. Instead, he came off as a lying adulterous scumbag willing to throw people under the bus, including his accuser, for his own political gain. Kind of like what Trump normally does. :wink:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The entire sex scandal was a distraction, and the dumb Republicans fell for it like the morons they are.

And that is only my opinion, so don't ask me to prove it. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You don't need to. :mrgreen:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Tunnelcat wrote:True. But the drama wouldn't have lingered for so long nor cost so much and I would've given Bill the benefit of doubt for being a honest but fallible human being. Instead, he came off as a lying adulterous scumbag willing to throw people under the bus, including his accuser, for his own political gain. Kind of like what Trump normally does. :wink:

I'm pretty sure it would be about as long. Maybe longer, given how 'pious'* they are.

*and we know much of a joke that is.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Tunnelcat wrote:Sure, the Republicans were on a ridiculous taxpayer money wasting witch hunt, but Clinton DID bring it on himself. He could have saved us all a boatload of anger and taxpayer money by admitting that he actually DID HAVE SEX WITH THAT WOMAN. :wink:
Ken Starr spent 4 years investigating Arkansas Project BS before anyone heard the name Lewinsky. If Clinton didn't lie, it wouldn't have saved anything except a bunch of pearl clutching by hypocrites.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

They're perfectly happy to be an islamist terrorist sewer.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Nightshade wrote:
They're perfectly happy to be an islamist terrorist sewer.
how so? I mean, proof of your goofy assertions ought to be a given at this point.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Vander wrote:
Tunnelcat wrote:Sure, the Republicans were on a ridiculous taxpayer money wasting witch hunt, but Clinton DID bring it on himself. He could have saved us all a boatload of anger and taxpayer money by admitting that he actually DID HAVE SEX WITH THAT WOMAN. :wink:
Ken Starr spent 4 years investigating Arkansas Project BS before anyone heard the name Lewinsky. If Clinton didn't lie, it wouldn't have saved anything except a bunch of pearl clutching by hypocrites.
I can't disagree. The Clintons were on the Republican's radar, hypocrisy be damned (adulterous Newt Gingrich, at the very same time no less), and even if Clinton had fessed up to his little sexploit, they would've found some other BS to try and nail him on. Knowing all politicians, including the Clintons, there was probably some dirt buried somewhere just waiting to be found. They didn't get to the top of the political heap by being squeaky clean and honest. :wink: