Amongst the stupidest "contests" ever...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Amongst the stupidest "contests" ever...

Post by Nightshade »

I never understood why people do this ★■◆●:
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - A 20-year-old student at a Connecticut university has died after choking during a pancake eating contest on campus.

Police say Sacred Heart student Caitlin Nelson died at a New York City hospital on Sunday, three days after the contest during a fraternities and sororities event at the Catholic school in Fairfield, Connecticut. The junior social work major was from Clark, New Jersey.

Fairfield police say nursing students and first responders performed lifesaving measures on Nelson and she was taken to an area hospital, where she initially was in critical but stable condition. She was transported to a New York hospital on Friday.
http://www.fox5ny.com/news/246003354-story

I mean seriously, why are there such things as "eating contests?" Not only are they disgusting and a grotesque display in a first world country in a world where there are billions of starving people- but it can cause unnecessary harm to one's digestive system. It's vomit inducing... You don't even enjoy the food you're eating.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Amongst the stupidest "contests" ever...

Post by Spidey »

Well…at least you found something different to whine about. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I don't know. These contests also kind of rank near the top for being really stupid. :roll:

http://www.oddee.com/item_96609.aspx

And these.

Of course, these eating contests put the pancake eating contest to shame. The things people do to, all to win at something. :roll:

http://www.ranker.com/list/bizarre-comp ... ob-shelton
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Nightshade wrote:I never understood why people do this ★■◆●:
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - A 20-year-old student at a Connecticut university has died after choking during a pancake eating contest on campus.

Police say Sacred Heart student Caitlin Nelson died at a New York City hospital on Sunday, three days after the contest during a fraternities and sororities event at the Catholic school in Fairfield, Connecticut. The junior social work major was from Clark, New Jersey.

Fairfield police say nursing students and first responders performed lifesaving measures on Nelson and she was taken to an area hospital, where she initially was in critical but stable condition. She was transported to a New York hospital on Friday.
http://www.fox5ny.com/news/246003354-story

I mean seriously, why are there such things as "eating contests?" Not only are they disgusting and a grotesque display in a first world country in a world where there are billions of starving people- but it can cause unnecessary harm to one's digestive system. It's vomit inducing... You don't even enjoy the food you're eating.

Yeah, you know what? This I can get behind.

Kids will be kids - wether it's a hotdog eating contest, watermelon eating contest, or any other kind of eating contest. I guess it's like sports where you want to be better at something than everyone else.

It's a bit like Chicken.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Reminds me of the woman who died from water intoxication while trying to win a radio contest for a Nintendo Wii when it first came out.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

the way I see it is this.......like pretty much everything else in our society, this sort of stuff has been taken to uber-competitive extremes. Heck, every County Fair I ever attended had eating contests(pies, frequently). Nathan's has had the Hot Dog thing forever. But, no, that isn't enough for America(and from all reports other places, too). We have to develop an actual competitive eating circuit, stretch it to excessive periods of eating, unhealthy foods to consume en masse, the riskier the better. So, where you used to encounter a rare issue, generally around some alcoholic consumption, we now are creating a fad of the entire excess thing. Another signpost marking a rapidly emptying culture and degraded definition of 'humanity'.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"