Would you sacrifice your son if God told you to?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Would you sacrifice your son if God told you to?

Post by Burlyman »

I would. The bible says that Abraham knew that God would raise Isaac from the dead. The Lord also hates human sacrifices and Abraham knew that God would never ask him to do something evil. So if you were in the same situation, if there were no police and all that like back in the day, would you sacrifice your son? Would you trust in God no matter what?

Thoughts? :)
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Would you sacrifice your son if God told you to?

Post by Flabby Chick »

I miss Drakona, she made me think...never agreed with her, but that was ok back in the day.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

no
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

What if the tooth fairy promised a ton of money? Would you pull out all your teeth? :roll:
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

First off, how would you know it was actually God asking you to do this?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I’m sure I would fail every test god put in front of me.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

The lord hates human sacrifice, yet asks for a human sacrifice.

This is why religion is fucked.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

No, Ferno. The difference is God wouldn't allow him to die. Just like how the Lord Jesus Christ didn't stay dead.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Nightshade wrote:What if the tooth fairy promised a ton of money? Would you pull out all your teeth? :roll:
Foolish mortal!

Tunnelcat, I think the proof came when the Lord sent an angel to tell Abraham not to do it. We all know that God would never want such a thing. Abraham trusted God and started to do it anyway trusting that God would keep his promise about Isaac which would mean he wouldn't be dead because God promised that Abraham's descendants would be like the sand at the seashore.

Nowadays there is voice to skull technology, schizophrenia, and demons who might pretend to be God. Terrorists have been told to cooperate with their captors thinking that it was God telling them to cooperate. I think that's why the Lord never asked for this again.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Burlyman wrote:No, Ferno. The difference is God wouldn't allow him to die. Just like how the Lord Jesus Christ didn't stay dead.
The same god that killed almost the entire population of the world in a flood is saying that he won't allow one person to die.

LOL!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Burlyman wrote:Tunnelcat, I think the proof came when the Lord sent an angel to tell Abraham not to do it. We all know that God would never want such a thing. Abraham trusted God and started to do it anyway trusting that God would keep his promise about Isaac which would mean he wouldn't be dead because God promised that Abraham's descendants would be like the sand at the seashore.

Nowadays there is voice to skull technology, schizophrenia, and demons who might pretend to be God. Terrorists have been told to cooperate with their captors thinking that it was God telling them to cooperate. I think that's why the Lord never asked for this again.
That's an awful lot of faith to be testing for what you assume you hear are directions from God. Even the Jews didn't believe Jesus' claim that he was the Son of God, even though he tried to show it with all sorts of Godly demonstrations as proof that he was who he claimed to be and not just uttering the ramblings of a crazy man or liar. Yet, after all the things they had witnessed, he never was able to turn most of them into believers. Instead they turned on him, calling him a heretic and blasphemer. They promptly told the Romans to punish him and crucify him for his blasphemy.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

given that hearing voices(auditory hallucination) is sort of a core symptom of several severe mental illnesses(a knowledge base not available to the ancients), I'd be far too leery if still in control of my faculties.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

callmeslick wrote:given that hearing voices(auditory hallucination) is sort of a core symptom of several severe mental illnesses(a knowledge base not available to the ancients), I'd be far too leery if still in control of my faculties.
Consider the history between God and Abraham to this point: Abraham has heard quite a few things from God at this point, and has seen physical evidence that it's really God... the text doesn't really leave room the question whether it was God speaking or not...

Here's the bigger question: if God promised to make your descendents innumerable through your son, then told you to sacrifice that son, would you do it? How would you reconcile the apparent contradiction from God? Hebrews teaches that Abraham believed that he would receive Isaac back from the dead.

Addressing your comment, Ferno: I don't think the issue was human sacrifice, it was sacrifice to false gods. If you think about it, Jesus was a human sacrifice.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Yes but both the Lord Yahshua and Isaac are still alive. Living sacrifices.
Ferno wrote:
Burlyman wrote:No, Ferno. The difference is God wouldn't allow him to die. Just like how the Lord Jesus Christ didn't stay dead.
The same god that killed almost the entire population of the world in a flood is saying that he won't allow one person to die.

LOL!
"The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans)

Same thing happens now... most people go to hell to die for their sin and some people are delivered by their faith.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

snoopy wrote:If you think about it, Jesus was a human sacrifice.

Which is messed up. He's sacrificing himself, to himself.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

It's not messed up :/
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I don't believe in Hell. Man creates his own Hell on earth and is solely responsible for it's unfortunate existance.

Abraham had a long established connection with God, so he knew it was God talking to him. Most people today have never even had an experience that would preclude them to believe that there is actually a God, so they have to go on pure faith if they thought they heard God speak to them. If that's ALL that most normal people had to go by when some voice out of the blue told them to sacrifice their son, do you think that they would go through with it, hoping that this same voice was only testing their faith and would call off the request at the last minute? I think not.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Burlyman wrote:Nowadays there is <snip> schizophrenia <snip>. I think that's why the Lord never asked for this again.
There was schizophrenia back in Bible times too. Mental illness has always been a thing.
There's always been humans amongst us hearing voices telling them to kill their families.
Abraham was neither the first, nor the last, to suffer through that.