Sexism rules!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Sexism rules!

Post by Nightshade »

...in France.

Marcon is elected president. France avoided electing what would have been their first FEMALE president.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/macron-elect ... 35036.html

Marine Le Pen probably lost because of rampant misogyny, just like Hillary did...right? ;)
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Sexism rules!

Post by Top Gun »

No, she lost because she's a neo-Nazi. Try again.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Are you trying to equate Marcon with Trump?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Le Pen lost because of her extremist ideology, not because of her gender. Hillary lost because she's an out of touch elitist who ignored the struggling working class in this country during her campaign, not because of her gender. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

It's impossible to calculate something like whether misogyny was responsible for Hillary Clinton's defeat, especially when not everyone even agrees on its definition, but there was enough of it on this board alone for it to be impossible for you to pretend like it didn't exist.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Maybe among a few unenlightened males in this country, you're probably right, since a little misogyny even reared it's head on this board during Hillary's campaign. Hillary also had a lot of other baggage as well, so I don't think misogyny was the major factor in her loss. Personally, I see nothing wrong with a female leader. Plenty of countries have successful female leaders, including Germany and India, and I'm betting Le Pen's gender wasn't as big a factor among French voters as we'd like to think. Europe tends to be a little less sexist in their thinking than America anyway. Europe has actually elected female presidents and leaders, we've NEVER elected even one, so we can't ascribe our backwards ideas to be the same as theirs. I guess we'd have to ask the French. If I was French, I wouldn't have voted for Le Pen solely because of her extreme ideology.

https://www.thoughtco.com/women-leaders-1435404

But, being of the female persuasion myself, even I hated Hillary's guts. It had nothing to do with her gender and everything to do with her sense of entitlement, disassociation and elitism. Why the Dems keep trotting her out in the press bewilders me. She lost, twice. She's poison to the party. She needs to deal with it and to go away into retirement, forever.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Jeff250 wrote:It's impossible to calculate something like whether misogyny was responsible for Hillary Clinton's defeat, especially when not everyone even agrees on its definition, but there was enough of it on this board alone for it to be impossible for you to pretend like it didn't exist.
If there were any misogyny in the last American presidential election- guess what? It was on the democrat side...because NO republican would have ever wanted to vote for a democrat anyway.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

...even when the GOP candidate is borderline crazy with clear ties to Russia, likely Russian mobsters. OK, Nightshade what does that tell us??
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Nightshade wrote:If there were any misogyny in the last American presidential election- guess what? It was on the democrat side...because NO republican would have ever wanted to vote for a democrat anyway.
You seem to think that if misogyny doesn't affect the result of an election then it doesn't exist. Of course there was misogyny, including Republican, and in fact largely Republican. The only question is did misogyny affect the election, and I don't really know how to reason about that.

"NO republican would have ever wanted to vote for a democrat"

How trite. There were a lot of Republicans who voted for Hillary Clinton, namely against Donald Trump.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Tunnelcat wrote:But, being of the female persuasion myself, even I hated Hillary's guts. It had nothing to do with her gender and everything to do with her sense of entitlement, disassociation and elitism. Why the Dems keep trotting her out in the press bewilders me. She lost, twice. She's poison to the party. She needs to deal with it and to go away into retirement, forever.
I didn't support her either. I felt like her nomination by the Democratic party lacked legitimacy, and I disagreed with her in a number of areas including foreign policy.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Nightshade wrote:
Jeff250 wrote:It's impossible to calculate something like whether misogyny was responsible for Hillary Clinton's defeat, especially when not everyone even agrees on its definition, but there was enough of it on this board alone for it to be impossible for you to pretend like it didn't exist.
If there were any misogyny in the last American presidential election- guess what? It was on the democrat side...because NO republican would have ever wanted to vote for a democrat anyway.
If people are unwilling to vote for a candidate just because of the letter next to their name, even if they are far and away the better choice, then this country is well and truly fucked.

(For the record, I wasn't a particular fan of Hillary, but if you looked at her and Trump and genuinely thought the latter was the safer bet, then you're either an idiot or batshit insane.)
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Nightshade wrote:If there were any misogyny in the last American presidential election- guess what? It was on the democrat side...because NO republican would have ever wanted to vote for a democrat anyway.

Complaints about misogyny in the dem side... said no dem ever.

I love these strawmans you make. We have enough of them to fill an entire city by now.