Don't be regressive...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Don't be regressive...

Post by Nightshade »

Be open minded and accept new ideas.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Don't be regressive...

Post by callmeslick »

how many of these bull★■◆● presentations in which folks who either hate or have no clue about another group of people tell us what those other people are 'really thinking' or 'really like' do you have to post before you grasp that we all can see you are blowing smoke out your clueless ass?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

The Right is no longer Conservative. :(
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

NS, do you have anything better to do than to constantly trash a whole political ideology you seem to revile for the most insipid and inane of reasons? Your glass house is starting to develop cracks from all the backlash. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I don’t know…that guy makes some good points…I mean when I was coming up liberals talked about freedom and how Jesus was just all right with them.

Now you never hear liberals talk about the importance of freedom, and Jesus has become the Zombie…

I have been making the point for years that the liberals have gone from being hippies to control freaks.

Now you can say whatever you want about how I have no idea what a liberal really is...but I can only make determinations from what I witness. So sue me.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Take a good hard look at your own camp before you judge ours as of late. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well I freely admit conservatives have gone off the deep end, so how does that change my point?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I watched the entire video. pretty good points all around.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Ferno wrote:I watched the entire video. pretty good points all around.
Rubin's interviews are great:

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:Well I freely admit conservatives have gone off the deep end, so how does that change my point?
Thank you. My point is that liberals aren't the only ones who've changed over the years. Both political affiliations seem to have gone off the rails during the last decade. It's just seems that NS loves to revel in it by constantly posting about it, that being a liberal-minded person is some sort of disease that needs to be eradicated. I get the impression that he believes conservationism is the same solid bastion of supreme freedom-loving idealism that it's always been. Nothing is further from the truth today.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote: I get the impression that he believes conservationism is the same solid bastion of supreme freedom-loving idealism that it's always been. Nothing is further from the truth today.
Where are you getting that impression? The recent Trumptard phenomenon?

That "movement" has nothing to do with conservative thought or idealism.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

look, the truth of the matter is that if one is to use the classical definitions, codified by the mid-1800s of the terms, most of what are called Conservatives and Libertarians today would be close to Liberal by definition, with a few variances. The Progressives in the US tend to a traditionally Conservative view around a strong government, on the other hand. The entire definition originally hinged on one's view of the inherent nature of man(good-liberal, bad-conservative), with thoughts about the need for, and nature of governance flowing from that. Thus, a conservative would, viewing mankind as mainly evil and life to be brutal('nasty brutish and short', in the words of one of the Conservative cornerstones), a strong government was needed to maintain some semblance of order and prevent the population from succumbing to their base tendencies. Liberals, feeling that man is good when not ruined by external forces, urged a freely democratic society with a weak, less controlling governance, feeling that would move life towards the Utopia which many felt was actually achievable in the innocent days of the late 18th century. Compare this to what passes for ideology in the US today and you'll realize that any discussion of 'liberal' and 'conservative' in our modern nation is lacking most of the ideological consistency seen in earlier times.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nightshade wrote:
Tunnelcat wrote: I get the impression that he believes conservationism is the same solid bastion of supreme freedom-loving idealism that it's always been. Nothing is further from the truth today.
Where are you getting that impression? The recent Trumptard phenomenon?

That "movement" has nothing to do with conservative thought or idealism.
Yes, Trumpism and the Alt-Right movement. I agree that they don't have anything to do with conservative thought, but they still call themselves as part of the new Right Wing movement, so they seem to tacked themselves onto the Republican Party, just as it also contains the old racist Southern Democrats who now call themselves Republicans because they didn't like the Civil Rights platform of the Dems in the 1960's. So if conservatism shouldn't be equated with the KKK, or the Alt-Right, or Trump (even though they voted for him), liberalism shouldn't be equated with the crazy anarchists and violent protestors.

Speaking of the Alt-Right, the cartoonist who created Pepe the frog was so incensed that his cartoon character was being used as their symbol, the cartoonist went and killed him off in the strip. That's how crazy things have become.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/08/us/pepe-f ... index.html