Wish me luck or don't (03/08/2023 6:01pm)

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

That was the last drag - yikes! Trying to quit cigarettes. Doctor said I'm too old. Doctor gave me pills. Start with nicotine gum tomorrow. I think physical addiction ends at 72 hours (what do I know? Going with that) then WTF is the nicotine gum for? Have to be at an event in the DR on Saturday night and not be a dick. Addictive personalities can be a bad bad bad thing. Here's to ocean air n'★■◆● and resorts that really give you no idea what's going on in the surrounding area.
:|
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Wish me luck or don't (03/08/2023 6:01pm)

Post by Tunnelcat »

Good luck. My parents supposedly quit back in the mid 1970's. My step dad succeeded in stopping cold turkey. My mother couldn't do it and kept sneaking smokes and hiding/lying about it until she developed lung cancer in 1998. It took only 2 years for that cancer to kill her because it had spread before it was found. Stick with it and quit. The misery my mom went through was horrible and I wouldn't wish that whole nasty experience on my worst enemy. As she lay dying and in pain, she said all that smoking was not worth the suffering and chemo she was going through. Nicotine is so addictive that she even kept up her sneaky smoking even as she watched her own mother also die from lung cancer only a few years earlier. May you have a much stronger constitution and resolve.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Good luck!

One of the our neighbors who smoked passed away from an aggressive lung cancer a couple years ago during chemo, he was a really great guy and we still miss him.

I have never smoked myself but I work right by a door to a smoking area so I see the people all going out to smoke at every break no matter how awful the weather is outside and even in good weather they never really look happy before or after. To me it looks like they aren't smoking because it makes them happy, but instead they are smoking because not smoking makes them miserable. It looks like a really shitty way to live to me.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

You don't need luck to quit smoking, you need sheer willpower, so I wish you a bunch of that.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

It’s a filthy habit that you cannot really defend beyond the don’t tread on me type of defense which is wonk wonk. My chest X-ray was clean which is just amazing considering how much partying I’ve done in half a century. Besides huffin some trees a couple times a year my drugs have been caffeine and cigarettes for the last five years.

If I’m going to waste money it’s going to be on hundreds of gigs of sample libraries I’ll never use in a thousand years. 🤓
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I know people who just substitute smoking with vaping. It's probably worth trying.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

You can do it!
si vis pacem, para bellum
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Best of luck. Perhaps the single hardest thing you will do. Last time I smoked I was in the Marines. Quit when I got out. Let us know how you do.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

quitter
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

When I quit, I quit cold turnkey. When I had cravings, I would chew gum. Chewed a lot of gum before my cravings went away. My motivation was this.

If I gave in to my craving, I would lose X number of days of torture not smoking to have to start over again. So it wasn't long before simply stopped thinking and just never looked back.

It's been proven that you simply need to occupy your mind/hands for a couple of minutes when you get a craving and it will disappear.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Isaac wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:55 pm I know people who just substitute smoking with vaping. It's probably worth trying.
No. All you're doing is substituting one addiction for another. The lungs developed to inhale only air. Not smoke, not vapor laced with chemicals. Anything other than good old clean air will damage the sensitive tissues inside the lungs. Even nicotine itself has been found to inflame lung tissues. Worse, if you inhale oily vapor, you can get lipoid pneumonia. Stick to gum since it gives your mouth something to do as well and stand firm.

I drive by these certain apartment buildings when I go to the store. They apparently don't allow smoking inside the building. Most days, I see this old man standing outside on the sidewalk smoking his cig, rain or shine. He doesn't look like he's enjoying his habit at all. He probably does this several times a day. When a pleasurable habit becomes a miserable prison, it's time to quit. Stand strong and just remind yourself you're trying to free yourself from a self-imposed prison that will in all probability kill you in the most unpleasant way possible.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

you will also save ★■◆● loads of $$$$
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

I grew up in a chain smoking family and started smoking when I was 10, and was allowed to smoke openly at 13. Hard habit to break. I quit at 19, the day I moved out of my parents house. Moving into a tobacco free commune for 6 years helped I suspect.
Mom died when she was diagnosed with lung cancer at 69, and was going to have to stay in a rest home where she couldn't smoke during treatment. She went outside in a freezing sleet and rain storm to have a last smoke, and got a lung infection that killed her 3 days later.
My little sister and her husband both quit in their late 40's, after smoking for 25 years, so it can happen. Good luck with it!
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Imageupload photo png
Can’t smoke on an aero-plane and the 2 mg nicotine gum tastes like a piece of gum you’ve had in your mouth for 2 hours. Gross.
For the next 4 hours we’ll go with a neurotic Jewish man stressing about lobster. 🤓
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Good Luck. You can do this and

Anything is possible.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Best of luck to you!
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Wow this place is beautiful (once you’re inside the razor wire fencing). The only real problem is the DR is renowned for their cigars - tempting. Also the local beauties teaching the honkys (gringos) how to do the Macarena, that’s a problem.

Let them have their fun, wallflower!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Cigars. Ugh. They stink to others around you, YOU stink to others around you and mouth cancer is a big concern. My mom tried to hide her sneak smoking behind gagging slathers of perfume. Just say no and stand firm. I used to crave chocolate. I had to stop eating it cold turkey because I have leaky gut and my immune system suddenly said go eff yourself if you ever put this stuff down this hatch again.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:52 am
Isaac wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:55 pm I know people who just substitute smoking with vaping. It's probably worth trying.
No. All you're doing is substituting one addiction for another. The lungs developed to inhale only air. Not smoke, not vapor laced with chemicals. Anything other than good old clean air will damage the sensitive tissues inside the lungs. Even nicotine itself has been found to inflame lung tissues. Worse, if you inhale oily vapor, you can get lipoid pneumonia. Stick to gum since it gives your mouth something to do as well and stand firm.

I drive by these certain apartment buildings when I go to the store. They apparently don't allow smoking inside the building. Most days, I see this old man standing outside on the sidewalk smoking his cig, rain or shine. He doesn't look like he's enjoying his habit at all. He probably does this several times a day. When a pleasurable habit becomes a miserable prison, it's time to quit. Stand strong and just remind yourself you're trying to free yourself from a self-imposed prison that will in all probability kill you in the most unpleasant way possible.

That's kind of the key to success tho. Find a different thing to get addicted to.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

A week no smoking. Not even smoke-smoke. 🤓
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yay! Keep it up. You can do it. It's just willpower.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:44 am Yay! Keep it up. You can do it. It's just willpower.
Not if you switch to another vice. Then it's like the same thing :D
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

We're all addicted to something. It's human nature. Me, it's caffeine because it stops my hypnic headaches if I take it when they start, so it's an addiction of necessity. You just want to make sure you have an addiction that won't eventually kill you.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Okay. So that’s 2 weeks. I’m in the middle of either a normal head/chest cold or it’s “quitter’s flu”. Which is the cilia in your lungs working again and moving toxins and debris out.

I feel like a dog’s dinner but it actually means my body is healing!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

YAY! Some cat calming action too. By the time you get done, you'll be able to actually smell the cat box and not your own nicotine laced breath. Hmmm, a good thing? :P

Now you'll have to scrub everything in your house. I can guarantee that you'll see brown tar residue left on the sponge/rag as you clean. It's insidious. My aunt's house interior was so covered in it, everything in there was brownish colored and stank to high heaven of cigs. A lot of things in that house had to be bleached, steam cleaned or tossed out just so we could sell it.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Never smoked in the house. I learned long ago never to smoke in a car or a house. 15-20 years ago when I was a Descent 3 addict I used to play with a ciggie in my mouth, coffee and/or beer for hours INSIDE of an apartment. NOT this house.
:huh:
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

3 weeks! Oh yeah the Dominican Republic has different warning labels than the U.S. lol
Imagescreen capture
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

TheWhat wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:20 pm 3 weeks!
That's great, keep it up!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hell, walking around the Dominion Republic as a white American can get you kidnapped or killed. You do know that the tobacco lobby is the entity who keeps warnings like from being posted in American stores don't you? Heaven forbid those warnings actually SCARE someone into quitting or not starting the habit. Of course, I doubt any of that's effective on young people. Schools like to show wrecked cars and bloody accident movies to scare teens and yet they still go out and drive like maniacs. So keep on truckin' and whip that addiction! 3 weeks is impressive.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Good to see you're hanging in there. Keep going.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Still smoke free?
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Next thing you need to quit is pretending to be like what you think is me and bashing people you don't agree with.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

I made it a year! I hate the smell of them now but I have to keep my mouth shut since I ruined the air for countless others.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Oh, nice! Congrats!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Awesome!
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Have you experienced any harsh coughing since you quit?
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

No, not really. I've been biking around Lake Nokomis and it seems like my lungs can take in more oxygen than before. I don't really know how long it takes for your lungs to repair years of damage and clearing out tar. Riding the bike probably helps. No discolored lung cookies or coughing fits.