Another Drug Thread

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Another Drug Thread

Post by Vander »

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III wrote:We know that drugs and crime go hand in hand. They just do, the facts prove that so. Drug trafficking is an inherently dangerous and violent business. If you want to collect a drug debt, you can't file a lawsuit in court, you collect it with the barrel of a gun.
This, in all seriousness, could've been a quote from an Attorney General pushing for the decriminalization of drugs, and legitimizing the drug trafficking business to the point where you CAN collect a drug debt by filing a lawsuit in court.

It reminds me of a clip I saw around 2000. Some congressman or senator was rambling against medical marijuana for terminally ill people and said something to the effect of "these people just want it because it makes them feel good." Well, yeah!

Anyways, is anyone happy with a surge in the drug war? Are stricter sentences going to dissuade an addict? Nothing helps set a person straight like more time in prison, right?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Another Drug Thread

Post by Spidey »

We were headed in the right direction for a while...but I guess it's back to the same old ★■◆●.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

In the war on drugs, legalization is the equivalent of the nuclear apocalypse.

Neither the cartels or the police want legalization to happen because it means a significant majority of them would have to find a different job.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

and, before you know it, folks will be listening to Jazz and dancing with colored folks. :roll:

Sessions is a disgusting little man, clearly operating from the pockets of the for-profit prison industry. The war on drugs, at best is a futile exercise, at worst a means to systematically disenfranchise people of color.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Other than the occassional idiot driving stoned, we've had no real issues here in Oregon. There are still far more people who drink and drive. Maybe we should outlaw alcohol? Oh wait, we all know how well Prohibition worked out. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:and, before you know it, folks will be listening to Jazz and dancing with colored folks. :roll:

Sessions is a disgusting little man, clearly operating from the pockets of the for-profit prison industry. The war on drugs, at best is a futile exercise, at worst a means to systematically disenfranchise people of color.
The war on drugs has been around long before Sessions, so don't lay it at his feet. And the war on drugs is much more than about marijuana. Try looking up how many people are dying from what drug:
https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topic ... eath-rates

And to compare drug deaths to jazz and dancing with colored folk shows just what a odius little man you are.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

actually, the rationale about dancing with colored folks came from an anti-drug campaign in the 1930's. No, I am NOT suggesting that Sessions started the idea, just that he seems determined to bring it back after society realized, by and large, that mass incarceration and crackdowns on marijuana don't work, and I don't see ANYONE even ATTEMPTING to address waves of dirt cheap opiates from Asia or meth from Mexico.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

woodchip wrote:The war on drugs has been around long before Sessions, so don't lay it at his feet. And the war on drugs is much more than about marijuana. Try looking up how many people are dying from what drug:
https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topic ... eath-rates
What is the saying though, you can overcome a drug addiction but not a drug conviction?

I guess I feel like if the state's primary interest in the drug war is to try to save people's lives, then they have a pretty funny way of showing it by giving drug users lifelong criminal status.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Krom wrote:In the war on drugs, legalization is the equivalent of the nuclear apocalypse.

Neither the cartels or the police want legalization to happen because it means a significant majority of them would have to find a different job.

That's what's about to happen here.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

http://www.amnesty.org.ph/news/phil_eje_2017/
Amnesty International wrote:Incited by the rhetoric of President Rodrigo Duterte, the police, paid killers on their payroll, and unknown armed individuals have slain more than a thousand people a month under the guise of a national campaign to eradicate drugs. Since President Rodrigo Duterte came to office seven months ago, there have been more than 7,000 drug-related killings, with the police directly killing at least 2,500 alleged drug offenders.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ocument/p1
Donald J. Trump wrote:I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem. Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that.
So, do we take Trump literally? Or seriously?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Strongmen DO like to emulate one another, and here, we just elected one of our very own. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Whoooo boy Vander! Did you read the real bombshell in the above transcript? That Trump bragged to Duterte about the location of 2 of our nuclear submarines, clearly very classified information that was definitely not meant for Duterte's ears. What a blabbermouth.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Meh, I don't see that as a big deal. It's not like he gave out coordinates, and North Korea has to already know the spear is pointing at them. It's the type of information I wouldn't be surprised to see intentionally put "out there." Of course, that would require a rudimentary level of sophistication this administration hasn't yet shown they possess.