Went too far???

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Went too far???

Post by Tunnelcat »

The comedian Kathy Griffin may have just nuked her career. She made the worst visual joke about President Trump that anyone could have possibly come up with, at least according to the reactions she's gotten so far. She was even fired by CNN over the stunt, the same CNN who famously hates Trump for being called "fake news". I guess there IS a line that shouldn't be crossed when a comedian lampoons a president. The Secret Service was definitely not amused. Personally, I also think it went too far, but unlike Trump, at least Griffin apologized for doing it. Opinions?

https://www.tmz.com/2017/05/30/kathy-gr ... r-shields/

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... o-far.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Went too far???

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote:Personally, I also think it went too far, but unlike Trump, at least Griffin apologized for doing it. Opinions?
Like Trump mused, I wonder what would have happened to a comedian that had done the same thing to Obama's likeness.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

she deserves what she gets. Look, anyone decrying the loss of civil discourse should shun her, forever. It was a cheap publicity stunt that showed EXTREMELY poor judgement and taste. Interesting comparison though between this case(Griffin apologizes, and virtually every liberal type bombards her with criticism) with the crickets one hears from the right when some ass like Ted Nugent spews hate.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

This was pretty goddamn stupid and tasteless. As much as I loathe Trump with every fiber of my being, you don't do this ★■◆●.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Top Gun wrote:This was pretty goddamn stupid and tasteless. As much as I loathe Trump with every fiber of my being, you don't do this ★■◆●.
basically, this is ALL I heard from my Progressive pals, and other more left-leaning types from within an hour of the photo being released. On the other hand, one CAN have some fun with it;
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

and, of course, this is quite true, as well:

George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You were saying NS? I'd say that this nice little photoshopped rendition was just as crude and cruel as what Griffin did.

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote:You were saying NS? I'd say that this nice little photoshopped rendition was just as crude and cruel as what Griffin did.

...just wow, TC.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, chan4chan is a pretty nasty place on the net. They serve up nothing but violent content and spew loads of hate. There's even an FBI warning if you try to go there, which I only know about from various warnings on the net. I'd personally never even go to that site in a million years. Google is the one who served up the image that came from some blogger's site.

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/chan4chan.com

But you can go to many right-wing sites and find a lot of similar monkey/Obama related images. Obviously slick found quite a few of the lynching themes, which were prevalent at right wing tea party rallies while Obama was still in office. I think those images definitely cross that same line that Griffin's image did as well. However, never once did I hear a large, public backlash about repudiating that kind of crap. Personally, Trump deserves all the lampooning that can be thrown at him. He's a coked-up narcissistic egomaniac bully. The only reason I think Griffin crossed the line in this case was because of the many American citizens that have been beheaded at the hands of terrorists. That's a modern painful reality that's too close for comfort and not the stuff of jokes.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Here's where I see it. Griffin's picture is black humour (similar to der spiegel's trump liberty cover), those effigies are racist.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Ferno wrote:Here's where I see it. Griffin's picture is black humour (similar to der spiegel's trump liberty cover), those effigies are racist.
here's how I see it. If we keep stretching or ignoring altogether certain boundries of human civility, it makes society that much harder to manage. Man needs society to function, all goofy notions of 'rugged individualist' types aside. I see no more societal benefit served by Griffin than by effigies.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Aaaaaand, American civility is now being thrown out the door and getting stomped on by the Trumptard mob. Griffin is now getting death threats. So is the lawyer representing her.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/1285364-170602063.html
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

callmeslick wrote:here's how I see it. If we keep stretching or ignoring altogether certain boundries of human civility, it makes society that much harder to manage. Man needs society to function, all goofy notions of 'rugged individualist' types aside. I see no more societal benefit served by Griffin than by effigies.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's a pretty good take on this whole mess Ferno. As much as I believe she went to far with this one, I'll still defend her comedy free speech rights for doing so. I hope lefties everywhere come out in support of Griffin. She's being blackballed even after she went to the trouble of apologizing for the the fact she made a mistake. She also joins the ranks of many other controversial comedians who were shunned or blackballed, and by mostly conservative censors too. So right wingers want their free speech, but not for those left-leaning crude comedians. :wink:

http://www.popcrunch.com/10-most-contro ... -all-time/

I was also wondering why she did the stunt. Apparently, according to Griffin, she was parodying Trump's own words he spewed at Megyn Kelly during his campaign. So in essence, Trump can get away with a supreme insult to women everywhere without consequences, like throwing not-so-funny "on the rag insults" AND including boasting about his prowess as a pussy grabber, but an actual comedian like Kathy Griffin can't get away with a crude visual joke. Trump never apologized to Megyn Kelly either. What a he man. :roll:
Donald Trump wrote:She had blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever."