What're the odds?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Who or what do you think is responsible for this attack?

Right wing extremists
No votes
Robert Spencer
No votes
The EDL
No votes
Donald Trump
No votes
Covfefe
67%
The Amish
No votes
Racism
No votes
The Tooth Fairy
33%
John Stamos
No votes
The Easter Bunny
No votes

Total votes: 3
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

What're the odds?

Post by Nightshade »

There was a terror attack on the London Bridge today.
In what appears to be a repeat of the deadly March 22 terrorist attack on Westminster Bridge in London, on Saturday night a white van rammed into as many as 15-20 pedestrians as "several people mowed down" on London Bridge in central London in what has been dubbed a "major incident." The incident happened at 10.30pm on Saturday. According to preliminary reports there have been at least 6 victims, and a cab driver on the bridge has reported he saw a stabbing man. About five people were being treated for injuries after the vehicle mounted the pavement and hit them, she said.

Scotland Yard reports that in addition to the car ramming, London police say they have also responded to an incident at Borough Market; armed officers at scene. It is unclear if the two incidents are releated.

Several eyewitness accounts have emerged which suggest there have been multiple casualties, with bodies strewn across the pavement. Others reports that several people are receiving emergency treatment after being stabbed. One woman told the Sun; "We had to run there was loads of shooting".
It can't be islamic terrorists driven by religious mandate...no. It has to be something else.
According to a BBC reporter at the scene, police are now searching for three possibly armed suspects. According to Sky News, citing Scotland Yard, there has been a third separate incident in the Vauxhall region in South Lond,

Separately, an eyewitness told LBC radio what he saw tonight. The taxi driver said: "A van came from London Bridge itself, went between the traffic light system and rammed it towards the steps. It knocked loads of people down.

"Then three men got out with long blades, 12 inches long and went randomly along Borough High Street stabbing people at random."
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: What're the odds?

Post by callmeslick »

weill, I sure as ★■◆● know there isn't any 'religious mandate' so that guess is bogus. More likely the Amish than that. Was Dylan Roof(deadlier than the entire crew in London, at current count) driven by a religious mandate?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote:weill, I sure as ★■◆● know there isn't any 'religious mandate' so that guess is bogus. More likely the Amish than that. Was Dylan Roof(deadlier than the entire crew in London, at current count) driven by a religious mandate?
Hmm...maybe them shouting "this is for allah!" during the attack was some kind of clue?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... or-attack/
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

no, only to the clueless. How many times does it need be pointed out that invoking God, or a religion, does not equate to sanction by, adherance to or the thinking of any given religion?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Franklin Deleno Roosevelt wrote:"This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our country today. This great nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote:
Franklin Deleno Roosevelt wrote:"This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our country today. This great nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."
Fear? No. Resolve to kill these goatfuckers? YES. That's what we need.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

start with these bastards at home first, and I might be impressed with your resolve, NS
https://theintercept.com/2017/05/31/the ... to-us-all/
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nightshade wrote:
Tunnelcat wrote:
Fear? No. Resolve to kill these goatfuckers? YES. That's what we need.
What you show constantly is fear, the type of fear that destroys everything we live for and value. Every time these bastards do something horrible that make people hide under the beds like scared little mice and the media to go psychotic about it 24/7, they've won.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Damn right, TC.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, better not hide under your bed NS. You have a greater chance of getting crushed by a piece of your own furniture than getting murdered by a terrorist.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mon ... terrorist/

You know NS, life is too short to worry about these pricks. If you let them drive your life by fear, then as I've said before, they've already won. Even if they never lay a hand on you, you're trapped within your cage of built out of fear and you're functionally dead to the world.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

TB, you are the Islamic terrorists.

I mean seriously, next time you are looking for the radical extremists who are trying to strike fear into and incite violence in the west, a good place to start would be in the nearest mirror.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I don't know...NS seems more obsessed than fearful to me.

Seems to me most of the "fear" is coming from others...

"Don't bomb them, you might make them mad".
"Don't offend them, you might make them mad"...
Etc...Etc...
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

perspective. It matters. I no more am concerned on a daily basis by 'Islamic' terror than I am about encountering aliens.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:I don't know...NS seems more obsessed than fearful to me.

Seems to me most of the "fear" is coming from others...

Etc...Etc...
One can be caused or influenced by the other.

https://psychcentral.com/lib/obsessions-and-addiction/
Obsessions can possess our mind. Our thoughts race or run in circles, feeding incessant worry, fantasy or a search for answers. They can take over our life, so that we lose hours, sleep, or even days or weeks of enjoyment and productive activity.

Obsessions can paralyze us. Other times, they can lead to compulsive behavior such as repeatedly checking our email, our weight or whether the doors are locked. We lose touch with ourselves, our feelings and our ability to reason and solve problems. Obsessions like this are usually driven by fear.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Spidey wrote:Seems to me most of the "fear" is coming from others...

Etc...Etc...
Haha.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Perspective is in fact very important, but I don’t see heart attacks trying to force unwanted political change either.

Most everyone I know* agrees that terrorism should not be a relative thing, but that being said, I don’t think people should be dwelling on the subject on a daily basis either.

*in real life
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

If most normal people DID dwell on such things, they would be very afraid to just go to work every day.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fired-factor ... 00032.html

In fact, since workplace violence is far more prevalent in the U.S. than terrorist violence, I think we need to rethink our priorities.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/workplace-viol ... /446011211