Even though this is a French magazine...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Even though this is a French magazine...

Post by Nightshade »

...and they don't necessarily enjoy the same right to freedom of speech as we do in the US because of our constitution- I support their right to do something like this:

Totally misguided, offensive and wrong caricature of Texas- but they should be able to say whatever they want.

Texans aren't going to burn down Charlie Hebdo's offices nor shoot up the homes of their cartoonists.

This is what separates decent human beings who happen to be Texans from nazis or islamists or violent leftists like antifa.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Even though this is a French magazine...

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sure, they can insult Nazis and KKK members with their crap, it's a free country and no one likes Nazis and racists, even in France. But most of the people in Texas who were affected by Harvey were decent hard working people who lost everything. That situation is nothing to make light of by drawing some vile cartoon joke about either. It's tacky and revolting. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those victims would be very insulted by that little French cartoon hit piece and that given the opportunity, they themselves would have no hesitation about flying over there and burning down Hebdo's offices to show them how it feels. If I were in their shoes, I'd feel that way too.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Gee, where would the French ever get the idea to draw a cartoon like that? :roll:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What I'd like to know is what the first three words mean at the bottom of the cartoon. I tried Google translate with no success even though I can pretty much figure out the meaning of the last words in the sentence. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

noyer means to drown or subsume. Thus, it reads, "He(God) has drowned all the neo-nazis in Texas"
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Krom wrote:Gee, where would the French ever get the idea to draw a cartoon like that? :roll:

probably from... experience?