SJWs

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Jeff250, Tunnelcat

Post Reply
User avatar
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 14405
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am
Location: Rockland,DE and Parksley, VA

SJWs

Post by callmeslick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:37 am

Yes, I know the letters stand for Social Justice Warriors, but why, when and how did it become a BAD thing, or a perjorative to attack or demean other people? Sounds to me like in practice it is the neo-fascist version of 'liberal' or 'Progressive' vilification. I mean, who the actual ★■◆● would NOT wish to fight for social justice?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
User avatar
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 14405
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am
Location: Rockland,DE and Parksley, VA

Re: SJWs

Post by callmeslick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:45 am

I'll add an example. In another thread, folks were attempting to discuss the nuance around a commentary from a PhD professor at a large University system in the US. Ferno just dismisses the trained professional as SJW? She is a ★■◆● academic, Ferno, and as I pointed out, she had a point, where I disagreed with some nuance, but which is fundamentally true. And, you chose to shorthand her with some childishly cute acronym for your personal hatreds. This is NO DIFFERENT than other shallow, broadbrush attacks. For the record, I've fought for social justice my entire adult life, and haven't called for violence, or any such thing. If someone wishes to find fault with my stand, or the idea of fighting for social justice, that person can go ★■◆● themselves.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
User avatar
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
Posts: 4390
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Corvallis OR, USA

Re: SJWs

Post by Grendel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:05 am

User avatar
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 10771
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.

Re: SJWs

Post by Tunnelcat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:28 pm

So I guess all those women who were victims of Weinstein's predations were nothing but a bunch of SJW's to be ignored all those years? :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
User avatar
Ferno
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
Posts: 14342
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am

Re: SJWs

Post by Ferno » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:35 pm

callmeslick wrote:I'll add an example. In another thread, folks were attempting to discuss the nuance around a commentary from a PhD professor at a large University system in the US. Ferno just dismisses the trained professional as SJW? She is a ★■◆● academic, Ferno, and as I pointed out, she had a point, where I disagreed with some nuance, but which is fundamentally true. And, you chose to shorthand her with some childishly cute acronym for your personal hatreds. This is NO DIFFERENT than other shallow, broadbrush attacks. For the record, I've fought for social justice my entire adult life, and haven't called for violence, or any such thing. If someone wishes to find fault with my stand, or the idea of fighting for social justice, that person can go ★■◆● themselves.

Just because she's an academic, doesn't mean her opinion isn't above criticism.

Until they raise their opinions out of the swill they're stirring in, you're damned right i'll dismiss it.

And it's commendable that you have not resorted to violence. You should be an example to those who do resort to it.

And as for personal hatred... yes, it's personal. It's personal because it's undoing all the good work that's been done. It's personal because their techniques are a blight on treating everyone equally regardless of who they are. It's personal because we shouldn't have to accept being stuck in a box because we don't fit a certain mindset.

Now...

If you have a problem with that, you have a problem with fairness.
User avatar
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 14405
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am
Location: Rockland,DE and Parksley, VA

Re: SJWs

Post by callmeslick » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 am

Ferno wrote:

Just because she's an academic, doesn't mean her opinion isn't above criticism.
shorthanding to an ignorant perjoritive isn't 'criticism'. It's intellectual emptiness.
Until they raise their opinions out of the swill they're stirring in, you're damned right i'll dismiss it.
and I will you, every time you show yourself to be that empty.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
User avatar
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 14405
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am
Location: Rockland,DE and Parksley, VA

Re: SJWs

Post by callmeslick » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:13 am

from what I've read here by example, it would seem as if "SJW" and attacks based upon that acronym, are a way of folks salving their own sexism, racism or other misogyny, and making themselves feel better. I call bullshit, it's that simple.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
User avatar
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor
Posts: 16641
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 1999 2:01 am

Re: SJWs

Post by woodchip » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:40 am

callmeslick wrote:Yes, I know the letters stand for Social Justice Warriors, but why, when and how did it become a BAD thing, or a perjorative to attack or demean other people? Sounds to me like in practice it is the neo-fascist version of 'liberal' or 'Progressive' vilification. I mean, who the actual ★■◆● would NOT wish to fight for social justice?
You are entitled to "fight" but the manner in which you do so is what is in question. Verbally attacking someone is one thing but physically assaulting them is another. In the case of the degenerate antifa, they have come out and said it is OK to use physical attacks to quell those who they do not agree with. So I take it slick, you to condone violence where it suits your purpose.
Democrats view other Democrats as incompetent ...NPR radio
User avatar
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 10771
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.

Re: SJWs

Post by Tunnelcat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 am

I've seen a few Nazis strike first at times and most of the recent protest deaths have been at the hands of White Supremacists, by either using a car or guns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... -shooting/

http://gawker.com/video-shows-4chan-whi ... 1744412287

However, I like this German town's solution. Out prank the Nazi bastards. :lol:

https://thinkprogress.org/german-town-p ... neo-nazis/
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
User avatar
Ferno
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
Posts: 14342
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am

Re: SJWs

Post by Ferno » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:59 am

callmeslick wrote:
Until they raise their opinions out of the swill they're stirring in, you're damned right i'll dismiss it.
and I will you, every time you show yourself to be that empty.
Of course it's a pejorative. I'll happily dismiss their crazy as just that - crazy.

And the idea that they need to shut down anything that opposes their mindset through guilt, shame, and violence is just as empty.

They crave attention. You're giving it to them. They crave justification. You're enabling it. They crave polarization. You're supporting it.
but why, when and how did it become a BAD thing
About the same time when they started using violence to silence opposing viewpoints. It's happened more than once, historically speaking, and it's always ended badly for everyone.
User avatar
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 14405
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am
Location: Rockland,DE and Parksley, VA

Re: SJWs

Post by callmeslick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:47 am

where the actual ★■◆● are all these violent warriors for social justice?? Good God, Ferno, is it mushroom season up there?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
User avatar
vision
DBB Defender
DBB Defender
Posts: 3456
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm
Location: Mars

Re: SJWs

Post by vision » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:32 am

Ferno wrote:They crave attention. You're giving it to them. They crave justification. You're enabling it. They crave polarization. You're supporting it.
I think you are completely overreacting and at this point it looks like you are trolling the board. If these people just want attention, why not simply call them narcissists instead of taking a positive term and turning it into a pejorative? The more people use the term SJW the more it becomes an vehicle for scapegoating. All it does is divide, which is what you claim these narcissists are doing. It's not helpful in any way. Likewise, I disagree with calling people nazi and fascist when bigot and racist are more suitable. Most people don't know enough history to know what a fascist is.
This post may have been edited by moderators for content and delivery.
User avatar
Burlyman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain
Posts: 797
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:47 pm
Location: hidden in plain sight
Contact:

Re: SJWs

Post by Burlyman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm

You kids and your weird internet-only words. I still have no idea what it means and since it doesn't come up anywhere else, I can't be bothered to look it up. :P
The following minutia is rated D (dumb): "knowledge" of computers, guns, obscure foods, "music," your "job," your imaginary concubines, your opinion of Internet "nerds," your fear of Asian smileys, your apathy.
User avatar
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 14405
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am
Location: Rockland,DE and Parksley, VA

Re: SJWs

Post by callmeslick » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:38 am

Burlyman wrote:You kids and your weird internet-only words. I still have no idea what it means and since it doesn't come up anywhere else, I can't be bothered to look it up. :P
sort of where I stood, Burlyman, but I chose to ask.......
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
User avatar
Ferno
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
Posts: 14342
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am

Re: SJWs

Post by Ferno » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:13 pm

"taking a positive term"

It's not positive.

If you guys can't see the potential danger of an out-of-control vocal minority who have been shutting down discussions by using guilt and fear tactics because they disagreed with them, then it's clear I don't belong on this board.
User avatar
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master
Posts: 7183
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:01 am

Re: SJWs

Post by Top Gun » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 pm

If you're going to erect strawmen that massive, then maybe you don't.
User avatar
vision
DBB Defender
DBB Defender
Posts: 3456
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm
Location: Mars

Re: SJWs

Post by vision » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Ferno wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:13 pm
...then it's clear I don't belong on this board.
Bye. Go be irrational and hysterical about imaginary dangers somewhere else. Bring ThunderBunny with you.
This post may have been edited by moderators for content and delivery.
User avatar
Xfing
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:03 am
Location: Ringing Satan's Doorbell

Re: SJWs

Post by Xfing » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:54 am

SJWs are the kind of folk who'd have you lose your job because you don't use somebody's preferred pronouns. They'd force people immediately to accept their worldview, not even giving them any transitional period, and harshly penalizing them if they fail to do it. They're like the Moral Majority - puritanical, fanatical and violent.

Of course throwing the term around just to silence any liberal, pro-equality opinions is just as bad as what they're doing, but let's not pretend they don't exist.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 35/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
User avatar
vision
DBB Defender
DBB Defender
Posts: 3456
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm
Location: Mars

Re: SJWs

Post by vision » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:41 pm

Xfing wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:54 am
...but let's not pretend they don't exist.
SJWs are a self-correcting problem. There are countless instances of them being called out publicly and once you are outed as an SJW no one takes what you say seriously. Hysteria about SJWs is completely unwarranted.
This post may have been edited by moderators for content and delivery.
User avatar
Xfing
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:03 am
Location: Ringing Satan's Doorbell

Re: SJWs

Post by Xfing » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:18 am

Well apparently the right wingers, fear prone as they are, seem to think the SJWs are everywhere, hold key positions and can actually influence politics. Politics perhaps not, but we've kinda seen that they can indeed influence entertainment at the very least (Disney).
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 35/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
User avatar
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Posts: 15210
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 1998 3:01 am
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?
Contact:

Re: SJWs

Post by Krom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:16 am

Walt Disney corporation is pretty much a textbook example of the saying "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.". It isn't that difficult to see how it ended up that way, but peel away the family friendly facade plus a few insulating outer layers of its bureaucracy and you will pretty much find Evil incorporated. And it isn't like the people working for or running it are bad, they are all just doing their jobs to the best of their ability, its a systemic evil exists beyond the will or intentions of the individuals within it.
User avatar
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 10771
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.

Re: SJWs

Post by Tunnelcat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:15 pm

Krom wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:16 am
Walt Disney corporation is pretty much a textbook example of the saying "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.". It isn't that difficult to see how it ended up that way, but peel away the family friendly facade plus a few insulating outer layers of its bureaucracy and you will pretty much find Evil incorporated. And it isn't like the people working for or running it are bad, they are all just doing their jobs to the best of their ability, its a systemic evil exists beyond the will or intentions of the individuals within it.
Aren't most large corporations that way? "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" seems to be the case with most large American corporations, especially with the oil companies, the big banks and the telecoms. Why do you single out Disney specifically?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
User avatar
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Posts: 15210
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 1998 3:01 am
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?
Contact:

Re: SJWs

Post by Krom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Because they are basically holding culture itself hostage for money and keep on pushing it further and further because they are extending copyright monopolies until the end of time. The DMCA is in no small part Disney's work and it is a horrible censoring tool that can also be abused in ways way beyond what you would think its scope would be (see John Deere tractor maintenance).
User avatar
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 10771
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.

Re: SJWs

Post by Tunnelcat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Yeah, Disney himself wanted almost permanent intellectual control over Mickey Mouse and things have gone downhill for the public domain ever since.
Senator Hank Brown (R-Colorado 1996) wrote:"To suggest that the monopoly use of copyrights for the creator's life plus 50 years after his death is not an adequate incentive to create is absurd. The real incentive here is for corporate owners that bought copyrights to lobby Congress for another 20 years of revenue—not for creators who will be long dead once this term extension takes hold."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... 174f15e9ec
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
User avatar
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 14405
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am
Location: Rockland,DE and Parksley, VA

Re: SJWs

Post by callmeslick » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:25 pm

not quite clear how the thread leapt from SJWs to Mickey Mouse, but I am still sad to see that merely questioning the validity on my part led to Ferno running off.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Post Reply