Global warming?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Global warming?

Post by Burlyman »

How can people talk about global warming when it's so cold???
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Global warming?

Post by callmeslick »

because they have the good ★■◆●ing sense to know that Climate is global and weather is local. My pals in Australia are cooking.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Climate change is not global warming necessarily. It's the addition of energy to the planet's climate due to more CO2 being added to the atmosphere and the unknown consequences of what all that added energy will do to the system. But wouldn't it be weird if the result of more CO2 was the formation of a new ice age? I wonder which would be worse for humanity, an ice age or a desert age? Looking at the East Coast and the Middle of the country right now, I think an ice age would be far more difficult for modern humans to adapt to than a desert age. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:12 am because they have the good ★■◆● sense to know that Climate is global and weather is local. My pals in Australia are cooking.
Climate is global...and climate is forever changing. "Anthropogenic climate change" is exaggerated to scam people out of money by alarmist charlatans like Al Gore.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Nightshade wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:13 am Climate is global...and climate is forever changing. "Anthropogenic climate change" is exaggerated to scam people out of money by alarmist charlatans like Al Gore.
Could willfully ignorant people like you at least stay the hell out of the way of the intelligent people trying to fix the problem?
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AlexanderBorisov »

Here in Russia we had temp above 0C for whole Dec and beginning of Jan and nearly no snow! When it is should be -5 to -10 C in the day on average and yet colder in the night! Don't think it can be ignored or treated as "exaggeration by alarmists", and this is not the first winter like that, third in a row at least!
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

It’s funny…

When somebody says "it’s cold how can there be global warming"…everyone yells “you idiot, the weather is local”.

But when someone says “whew it’s hot, must be global warming” everyone says “yup yup…global warming”.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Spidey wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 am It’s funny…

When somebody says "it’s cold how can there be global warming"…everyone yells “you idiot, the weather is local”.

But when someone says “whew it’s hot, must be global warming” everyone says “yup yup…global warming”.
http://www.climatesignals.org/data/reco ... -low-temps
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

calling BS on Spidey's observation with intelligent people.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Who said I was commenting on "intelligent people".... :lol:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:38 pm Who said I was commenting on "intelligent people".... :lol:
I agree, you weren't.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Top Gun wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:12 am
Could willfully ignorant people like you at least stay the hell out of the way of the intelligent people trying to fix the problem?
Right...and exactly what are your "intelligent people" doing to "fix" the climate eh?

Even if they could 'fix' the climate, how're they going to control China and India? The two biggest polluters on the planet?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Researching alternative energy solutions, looking into carbon reclamation technologies, developing zero-emission vehicles...y'know, pretty much anything and everything they can.

And if you'd been paying the slightest attention, China has been kicking our ass when it comes to investing in renewable energy. Unlike the fuckwit-in-chief, they can actually understand basic science.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Top Gun wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:11 pm And if you'd been paying the slightest attention, China has been kicking our ass when it comes to investing in renewable energy. Unlike the ★■◆●, they can actually understand basic science.
LOL... I'll believe that China actually gives a ★■◆● about not polluting the planet the same day you believe that "Trump is a stable genius."
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

China's rulers are smart enough to see which way the wind is blowing, unlike the dotard-in-chief. Honestly it doesn't even matter all that much whether their concerns are environmental or economic, as long as they're doing stuff.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I work for a company that makes industrial and commercial burners for heating boilers and the like, China is currently a huge market because the government mandated replacing all the boilers/heaters in the country with low emissions units like modern designs instead of the 50 year old wrecks they have been using. It isn't just electricity they are cleaning up the act on, they are hitting everything.

(BTW, the air quality in China is so bad in places it clogs the intake filters on a burner in 3 days of use compared to lasting a full heating season in America.)
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

watching NS try to form an intelligent debate point is akin to watching someone pee into a stiff headwind.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I think he may have a point, if you think about the difference between “saving the planet” and cleaning up out of sheer necessity.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

saving the planet OUGHT to be seen as a necessity for ALL of us, given that ALL of us live here.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

NO ★■◆●!

The reference was to Chinese thinking.....DUH.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

THIS is China's current thinking. Smart thinking too. Quit taking in U.S garbage that pollutes their soil and water.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... recycling/

Sooooo, what will the U.S. do with it's mountains of trash now, especially since we've embraced buying everything on the internet? Sent it to Bangladesh or Africa now to hide it? How environmentally conscious of us. Dump it on someone else. :wink:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/holiday-sh ... o-keep-up/
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm THIS is China's current thinking. Smart thinking too. Quit taking in U.S garbage that pollutes their soil and water.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... recycling/

Sooooo, what will the U.S. do with it's mountains of trash now, especially since we've embraced buying everything on the internet? Sent it to Bangladesh or Africa now to hide it? How environmentally conscious of us. Dump it on someone else. :wink:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/holiday-sh ... o-keep-up/
I wonder where China and India are dumping the trash of a combined population of 2.69 BILLION people.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Why, in the oceans of course. So we get some of our trash back since the ocean currents flow towards the U.S.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html

And in China's own rural areas where the peasants are powerless to do anything about it.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wo ... e24367032/
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Even though it doesn't make the claim, I interpreted this article as potential good news on climate change (which is rare). It's about a refined model for clouds.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Global warning is serious and cold spells don't disprove it.

The globe as a whole had record heat recently THREE years in a row from 2014-2016, and these records were not broken, they were smashed. And 2017 was still on a far higher level of warmth than any year before 2015.

In the USA, the last three years are among the four hottest back to 1895, and averaged over the year as a whole, every single state was warmer than average in 2015, in 2016, and again in 2017 - also three years running. It's coast to coast heat on long timescales.

And 2017's hurricane/wildfire season was the costliest/rivaling the most destructive on record for the nation. It's a grim picture.

Here is an article I like that came out 2 years ago, after 2015's record heat was made official. It doesn't even reflect another record in 2016 or an extremely warm 2017. But I believe what it says is very accurate and truthful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 332e97fa8f
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Burlyman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:29 pm How can people talk about global warming when it's so cold???
https://cosmosmagazine.com/climate/1200 ... al-warming

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/s ... ar_arctic/
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I genuinely think that this clusterfuck of an administration's stance on climate change is the strongest argument against our current representative democracy I've seen in my lifetime. People who have no grounding in a particular scientific or technical field have absolutely no goddamn business making far-reaching policy decisions related to that field. Give me an intellocracy before the entire planet is fucked.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

+1 me too, thankfully at least there is the Climate Alliance...I hope that can limit some of the damage until another 3 years pass.