Skilled Trades

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Skilled Trades

Post by woodchip »

Listening to NPR's Daniel Schorrer(sp), he must think we are a nation of plaster's/autobody repairmen and tire fixers. His view point is that somehow we as americans should seek to "patch up" our relations with european nations (read France and Germany) so that they may come onboard into that ship of state called Iraq. Excuse me, but to patch up a relationship, does not the party wanting something make the attempt at fixing it? Is there something we strongly need from Le Beak or Der Wienerschnitsle? Or is it the other way around? For some news commentator to say that it is our job to kiss and make up is akin to a high price hooker telling her john that she will pay him to do her. But then what do you expect from those liberal whore newsies Image
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Perhaps you should listen to your friend Bush a bit better. As he said in the last press conference, the US had a disagreement with France and Germany over how to handle Iraq. That does not make us mortal enemies, more at allies that simply couldn't agree on the best perceived solution. I don't honestly think the Germans care all that much and it's in their sovereignty that they can do that. The French went too far in their crusade. But this stuff happens. We do not breed a brainwashed monoculture of yes-people in this world.

The Germans were "We don't really like your plan, Bush, but it's your plan and we won't get in your way." The French were "We hate your plan, Bush, and we'll stop at nothing to prevent you from doing it."

But what's done is done and it amounts to little more than a friendly spat and there isn't, in my opinion, anything to be repaired. The only people who try to make it more than it is are media types whoring for attention and those who have pet names for every dissenting politician in the world. Image
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by woodchip:
[..]Is there something we strongly need from Le Beak or Der Wienerschnitsle?[..]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Wiener Schnitzel's" would be austrians -- I'd call germans "Lederhosen" Image

/me duck and covers.. Image
[fs]duhq
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [fs]duhq »

I disagree with the idea that all apologies should come from the people who said no to the american campaign in the middle east. I also don't think that there need to be any apologies from the people of the US to any of these other countries (like France and Germany), because there wasn't really a lot of wrong done on either side.

If I understand Mr. Schorrer's thinking properly, I would take it to mean that he wants to be the "bigger person" and say to france 'no hard feelings' and to germany 'still drinking buddies?'

There's no sense in having an uneasy alliance between nations, when the time is perfect to very easily repair any relationship that may have been damaged. Imagine the Americans asking for aid in the future, for whatever reason - maybe by fixing this now, they'll be happier to help in the future, rather than wary about how they'll be received.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Or conversley duhq, imagine the French asking for our aide when a terrorist attack occurs against them (say from Morocco) and they want our help to go clear the bad guys out.
[fs]duhq
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [fs]duhq »

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not..