Bush Bashing

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

Rome fell because
1)They got lazy and 3/4 or they're population were slaves,
2)All the royalty treated the slaves very poorly
3)The Roman Empire was ruled by totally corrupt leaders, and they pulled it apart with greed.
OH yea! I'm related to Julius Ceaser Image
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

<font face="Arial" size="3">Has anyone ever realized that the United States is becoming more and more like Rome was before it fell? There were not enough of the native Romans. -Jesus Freak</font>
So, your asking that the U.S. population become more made up of Native americans?
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I just thought you should all know that i consider myself a "Bush hater." It's not that I hate Bush so much that it is all consuming, but it will cloud my mind in the months to come. beware.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

I didnt pay any taxes last year. Image in fact I made $70k last year payed out $5,400 in federal taxes and am getting back $6,500 on my tax return Image payed $4,500 in state taxes and am getting back $1,100 on my tax return Image total of about $7,600 this year in returns, but with what it costs to feed my army it will be gone quick, we spend around $1,500 a month in groceries alone Image
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

Goob, I think that there are too many immigrants from other countries(not JUST Mexico). My Dad works for the government at the U.S. Census Bureau near Washington D.C., and a large portion of the employees there were not even born in the U.S.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Jesus Freak:
My Dad works for the government at the U.S. Census Bureau near Washington D.C., and a large portion of the employees there were not even born in the U.S.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So were all the people that built this country, designed the constitution and fought for our independance.

If you want to discredit someone because of where they were born why not go for slamming everyone who's brown...or tall...or plays Quake or...
MehYam
DBB Head Flapper
DBB Head Flapper

Post by MehYam »

??? Immigrants are going to bring down the U.S. empire? What? Dude, to draw that as a parallel between Rome and the U.S. is fairly naive. In fact any parallels drawn between these two civilizations requires a much more educated argument than yours, which sounds like it's based on fear and xenophobia more than anything else. Believe me, there are a million other things to worry first.

Empires now are economical, not geographical. Sure, the EU or China might take a leading role ahead of the U.S. someday, but the U.S. will still be the U.S. And limiting immigration might only hasten the process.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Jesus Freak, do you not realize that ALL of us are immigrants? (Except, of course, for those of Native American descent, but even they migrated across Beringia tens of thousands of years ago...okay, too picky Image) The people who founded this nation came here from England, Ireland, France, Sweden, Spain, etc. In the late 1800s to early 1900s, millions of Europeans came here seeking a better life. My own ancestors immigrated from Eastern Europe in the early 1900s, and I'm sure that many other people here can trace their ancestry to that wave of immigrants. Today, people are entering this country from a wider range of nations, including those of Latin America, Africa, and eastern Asia. This country has always been, and will always be, a "melting pot" of hundreds of different cultures. Immigrants made America what it is today, and I wouldn't think it wise to change what has worked so far.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

The "We're all immigrants" argument pisses me off so much because it uses the word "immigrant" in the wrong way. Physically, the founders of this country (or their parents or their grandparents) came over to North America from Europe.

HOWEVER, that's not what immigrant means. The founders of the United States of America aren't immigrants, because they founded the country. Families who came here from Europe, yes they were immigrants, but it is unfair to brand their children as "children of immigrants".

So no, this country hasn't always been a melting pot. For a good portion of its history (up until we relaxed the quotas), this country was almost entirely white, Anglo-Saxon, and Christian (Irish Catholics made a pretty big influence in the cities). Now that we've opened our doors to every country on the face of the earth, and made the offer attractive by essentially allowing free access to all sorts of government programs thereby enticing mass immigration, and don't do anything about those who live here illegaly and enjoy police protection, fire protection, and social services without dropping a cent in the bucket, we've become a nation whose core constituency is being displaced by 21st Century immigrants from many more countries.

But to call everyone in this country an immigrant is blatantly untrue. We're not all immigrants on the same level, and we're not a "melting pot" that should be open to everyone.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by DCrazy:
made the offer attractive by essentially allowing free access to all sorts of government programs thereby enticing mass immigration, and don't do anything about those who live here illegaly and enjoy police protection, fire protection, and social services without dropping a cent in the bucket</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anybody who moves here does it for the social services. If I wanted to take advantage of government programs I'd move to Spain or something.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Or better yet, England. We don't have nearly the welfare systems other countries do. I knew some musicicans that lived permanantly on the dole in england
Poozilla
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Poozilla »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Tetrad:
I don't think anybody who moves here does it for the social services. If I wanted to take advantage of government programs I'd move to Spain or something.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or BRAZIL!!! Where it's every citizen's right to plastic surgery..... Image