whoever is the admin may want to check this out

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the robots.txt I get.

the mod_rewrite bit I don't.

The search function on the DBB works fine.

mod_rewrite is included in the standard Apache distrubution anyway, its just not enabled by default.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

the mod rewite will make the forums urls alot more search engine friendly
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I just wish the Merge Topics mod was installed by default. It would make our jobs a hell of alot easier. Particularly when someone posts a thread on a subject that already has a thread. Means less closing of threads, and less clutter in the thread listings. The mod itself is a breeze to install and would maybe take 5 minutes to do...tops. I've already got the edited files locally. All thats required is for someone to input the SQL command into phpMyAdmin.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

They work, they're useful.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

That would be my problem too. phpBB2 can be shaky as it is on a large forum environment. The mods only tend to gum up the works even further. For the sake of ease of upgrading in the future, I'd recommend we don't install mods.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Well, with phpbb there's more flexibility, because the pages and the data are completely separate, unlike UBB. I'd be much more worried about a mod that modifies the database structure than a mod that just added some lines to a PHP page. The latter will have ZERO effect on stability.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Jim, I've tested the mod on the test site. We've gone mod-install crazy JUST to see if something would break. As you can see, nothing has.

btw, our problem with the UBB was not because of the mods themselves, but from a certain host not allowing us to have access to the data which forced us to rely entirely on a backup copy. The combination of that, and mods pointing to data that wasn't there is what broke the DBB, not just having the mods installed.

Look Jim, I wouldn't even suggest a mod to you if it wouldn't vastly improve our experience. I'm not one to suggest a frilly nilly mod that does precicely jack ★■◆● overall. The thing with phpBB is that 90% of the mod installs are just simple text edits. Break something? Fine, just drag and drop the unedited copy back and you're good to go. I really don't think this will impact our upgradability at all.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Given what happened to the previous board, believe me when I say that I understand completely.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Why would we really need this? So people can search through the DBB from a search engine?

Google isn't smart enough to search php pages?
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

MD-2389 wrote: The mod itself is a breeze to install and would maybe take 5 minutes to do...tops.
Funny how it didn't work with the package you guys gave me? :-P
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

google isnt smart enogh to search through pages with session ids
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

google...

Post by Lothar »

But then, do we really want google to be capable of searching the whole DBB? What possible benefit could that serve?
Vertigo
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo »

Note: MD isn't talking about a mod that enables google to search through the pages.
This is about a Merge Topics mod, wich would indeed be VERY useful to a Mmod, imo.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

I've worked with a couple different Merge Topics mods on a test phpBB of my own. The first one was in the ModCP only, and it came back with an Invalid_session error when trying to complete the operation. The second one, which was just a button worked, but it was very cumbersome to use.