Repeatedly getting this for small posts....

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Repeatedly getting this for small posts....

Post by Isaac »

null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

considering this forum is running on software that has to be at least 5 years old i wouldnt expect a fix for that anytime soon. it happens to me often, too
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

From all signs, this board has a huge search-index table which gets updated/queried for every post/edit. If it takes too long, the process times out.

We periodically have to get an admin to get things cleaned up, which apparently causes loss of some of the oldest posts.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

That explains why some of the posting problems here seem to happen in cycles.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Foil wrote:this board has a huge search-index table
You mean as in the "search" tool at the top of the page that hardly works right? So if we disabled the indexing, allowing users to use Advanced Google search instead, we wouldn't even have this problem?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Isaac wrote:
Foil wrote:this board has a huge search-index table
You mean as in the "search" tool at the top of the page that hardly works right?
*I* think so.

Disclaimer: That's just my inference, based on what I'm seeing in the error message, and based on the cyclic (fixed, then gets worse, fixed again, gets worse again) nature of the problem.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Do we know what would fix this and the other glitches more permanently? phpBB 3.x? A LAMP stack? Surely there are larger phpBB's than us out there that have gotten past this? The \"wait for the DBB admin to notice that it's broken again and apply his kludge\" approach becomes a bit more frustrating each time the DBB breaks.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

No one get mad at me for not editing... I'm giving up at this point. I'll just add new posts right after my last one.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

An upgrade to the latest version would fix it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The only person with the ability to upgrade the forum software or correct the current issue (console level access) is currently M.I.A.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Krom wrote:The only person with the ability to upgrade the forum software or correct the current issue (console level access) is currently M.I.A.
epic
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Mike still kinda hovers around us, I think.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Have we considered giving a second person the reigns? The DBB is surely full of enough qualified and trustworthy people with the adequate free time.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

i showed the forum to a tech-savvy friend of mine who knows phpbb and he indicated that the problem was not the old software as much as it is the software being improperly configured
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

This doesn't happen to me much. Sounds like the server computer is racist against your client computer. :P
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I think the reason we haven't upgraded is because there are to many \"hacks' in this version that would take forever to get working on a new version. I say, forget the old and bring in the new.

edit(I received some weird error when I posted this the first time).

Time for upgrade.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Yeah, like the custom theme and the litle bit at the bottom where it says \"Material Defenders\" instead of \"members.\"
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Those modifications are simple and microscopic edits to the boards language files which are largely independent of the core functionality. This forum can be upgraded. The most difficult part of the process would probably be working the server configuration, IIRC at present the DBB has a separate database server and two load balanced / redundant front end servers.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Krom wrote:Those modifications are simple and microscopic edits to the boards language files which are largely independent of the core functionality. This forum can be upgraded. The most difficult part of the process would probably be working the server configuration, IIRC at present the DBB has a separate database server and two load balanced / redundant front end servers.
Oh, I know. I just imagine they are "reasons" for not upgrading.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Krom, those things seem like premature optimizations. The DBB doesn't get *that* much traffic. The glitchy software is the performance bottleneck at this point. Why not leave load balancing the servers as the icing on the cake?
null0010 wrote:i showed the forum to a tech-savvy friend of mine who knows phpbb and he indicated that the problem was not the old software as much as it is the software being improperly configured
IIRC, this is also being hosted on a WIMP (Windows/IIS/MSSQL/PHP) stack, which used to be a second-class platform for php. I'm not sure if this is still the case, as I have no personal interest in that particular stack. ;)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Jeff250 wrote:The glitchy software is the performance bottleneck at this point.
Hm, I think the problem is more that over the years, the database has overgrown. Thus the periodic slowdowns when the index table (referenced in the error) grows too large.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Re:

Post by Krom »

Jeff250 wrote:WIMP (Windows/IIS/MSSQL/PHP) stack
Correct: 404.html

Yes it is overkill, the DBB could probably run smoothly on a Pentium II CPU system given the right stack.

AFAIK the slowdown is a problem with how phpbb 2.x handles searches and either some compatibility or corruption problem with the stack or more likely the database. It wouldn't be an issue in an upgrade because phpbb3.x can use SQL native search and doesn't use or maintain a search table like 2.x does. All the other mods and hacks are mostly cosmetic.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

Foil wrote:Hm, I think the problem is more that over the years, the database has overgrown. Thus the periodic slowdowns when the index table (referenced in the error) grows too large.
Somewhere, someone is doing something wrong. Databases when used right scale very well.