What makes a forum digitally deteriorate

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

What makes a forum digitally deteriorate

Post by Bet51987 »

I mean why does this forum have a non functioning search button, a forever waiting time for posts to submit successfully, and a deteriorationg edit function.

If a forum is made of bits and bytes then what's leaking away to make things non funtional. DBB.COM uses the same PHPBB and works like a new car compared to this site.

Not trying to be funny, just looking to satisfy my curiosity. :?

Bee
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

It needs a serious upgrade and no one wants to do it.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

The underlying database has grown to a point that accessing it has become slower than certain timeout values higher up. Editing a post means changing it in the database, an operation that is slower than simply adding a new entry (posting) to it.
ImageImage
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Honestly there has to be something wrong with either the server configuration, the database itself, or the hacks that KB put in the forum software a long time back that causes it. I know this because this forum is simply not big enough to have these types of issues, the software can easily be demonstrated scaling quite well into many millions of posts, far more than this particular forum has.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I should msg KB on Facebook or through e-mail and see what he's willing to do?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

KB doesn't have the server level access to do anything about it, I sent RC an email and he said he will look into it. I think he was already working on it so things should be better soon.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I have spoken to Richard and Krom concerning the sad state of affairs here. I am sorry I thought I shouldn't have been away so long.

Krom has offered his time to do the back end upgrade while I work on the front end. I have already started working on the new templates for the new version.

I will try to get it looking as close to what is there now.

Hopefully within the next week or two the process will start in earnest.

KB