Hey i can edit again. woohoo. was the forum fixed?

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Hey i can edit again. woohoo. was the forum fixed?

Post by roid »

??
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I shot RC an email about it a while ago and he tweaked the database server, it should be better for a while (thx RC).
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

man i was really hoping for a software upgrade too :(
But still it's great being able to edit again, thanks RC!
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I spoke with RC about a software upgrade, we are considering it and most likely will start a fresh boad with the new upgrade and keep the ol setup for archive. IF and when time permits we'll look into merging the databases.

Whatever we do we DON'T want to loose data again!

KB
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I've done several upgrades/conversions from phpBB 2.x to 3.x, it is not that complicated. Porting it over data and all shouldn't take much time or effort and preserves pretty much everything.

The currently installed modifications don't even matter since they don't change how the database works or even if they do add fields the extra ones will simply be ignored in the conversion. Although I'd suggest a couple test runs on a virtualized server just to play it safe and to make sure there are no surprises in the database.

If I could have access to a mirror of the database and be able to do a few test runs I'm pretty confident I could port the entire forum to phpBB 3.x in less than a day of working on it. The only thing that would be nice to have someone else to help with would be converting the default theme, although 3.x is a pretty similar markup language framework as 2.x so a lot of the work is already done in the existing 2.x theme.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Krom,

Sounds good, let me get with Richard to see how he would like to proceed. I know that he would like the upgrade from a server load standpoint.

I have a test board setup and will start porting the two templates used here.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Do note that the conversion process is fairly CPU/resource intensive and will run for quite a while so if that is a problem we need to know about it before we try it. The good news is that if it is a problem, with just a couple extra steps we could run the conversion on practically any computer we want, it doesn't have to be on the server.