Sol Contingency Mapping creations.

A promising Descent clone made using Unreal Engine 3 which will have greatly improved graphics and very similar to Descent 1 / Descent 2 style mechanics.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Sol Contingency Mapping creations.

Post by homeyduh »

I know this is a forum for D1, 2, and 3 maps, but since SolC will try to be the definitive spiritual successor of Descent (in addition to the lack of a Sol Contingency forum) I will post this here. I'm a fairly rookie mapper who grew up with Descent as many of us here have. I decided a year ago that I wanted to try my hand at using UDK to build maps to try to become a mapper for the game. I'm still a ways away from getting any formal position since I'm still a rookie, but I wanted to share with the Descent community my maps that I'm working on. I have finished 3 maps, 2 of which majorly sucked. My most recent map, Polyclonal, got its fair share of praise and I wanted to give you guys a glimpse of the map via screenshots. Learning to MP map for SolC in UDK isn't that bad. I want to encourage you aspiring mappers to pick up the UDK and try mapping something out if you want. It's really rewards and there's a lot to learn. 1/2Hawk, Max and the rest of the team are very encouraging and will help out anyone who attempts this challenge. Let's click on 6DoF's afterburners to true modern gaming!

Unfortunately, my screenshots are too big to upload here, but you can take the link to my dropbox if you want to check out the pictures for yourselves. I hope to see you in the Sol Contingency Forums soon!
6DoF mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Sonic/Samus/Kirby main in Super Smash Bros 4, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Sol Contingency Mapping creations.

Post by homeyduh »

Let me rephrase something: currently, Sol Contingency is being built with UDK. The full game will be built with UE4. Many skills learned in the UDK can be applied to using UE4. You can download the UDK for free and if you're interested in mapping, try it out. I just wanted to reiterate that the game will use UE4, not UDK. My map was built in the UDK, so final quality will change.
6DoF mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Sonic/Samus/Kirby main in Super Smash Bros 4, and all-around nice guy.

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

That is good news! As far as I know, UE4 much more interesting, more beautiful and versatile :D
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

homeyduh wrote:...(in addition to the lack of a Sol Contingency forum) I will post this here.
You can make a request to add a Sol Contingency forum section. It would certainly fit under 6DoF Game Development.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Who do I make the request to?

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I'd suggest posting it in DBB Feedback.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Just finished another map. Will post pictures as soon as the map is reviewed by the Sol Contingency project lead! Look forward to it because it's pretty sweet I think.

homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

So, my map, Triaxiality was good enough to warrant a video fly-through on Sol Contingency's Youtube channel. I did this with mostly stock meshes and materials. Trust me, if I can do it, you guys can. Enjoy the video here! Sol Contingency is NOT going to die!

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

New map under way. I'm not gonna give anymore details since its for PG, but be prepared for some good game flow XD keep an eye out for it!

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

homeyduh wrote:New map under way. I'm not gonna give anymore details since its for PG, but be prepared for some good game flow XD keep an eye out for it!
I'm so glad that you waved delicious fragrant candy in front of my nose... I miss a treat. Thank you so much...
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Don't worry sigma, the candy has now become a nice juicy steak. More on that after the map has been reviewed.

homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

In case you all didn't know, pictures of my new map, Ice Breaker, have been posted on the official Sol Contingency Facebook page. Check them out and get hyped! The map is currently being playtested by the devs for balance and glitches.