Still looking for mappers!

A promising Descent clone made using Unreal Engine 3 which will have greatly improved graphics and very similar to Descent 1 / Descent 2 style mechanics.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Still looking for mappers!

Post by homeyduh »

Sol Contingency still needs more mappers! Seriously, try your hand and try the UDK out. I would say that your first couple of maps will be rough, but after awhile and with enough support, you can make it too! I only started mapping in UDK around March and I made it in just yesterday. I might have made it in sooner, but I took a long break from trying because my daughter was born. I want to encourage any avid map makers who use the DMB or other tools to try this. It is very different, but so much more rewarding when you get great praise like I did for Triaxiality. Seriously, download the UDK and try it. PM me here or on the Sol Contingency forums and I'll help you out as much as possible.

Literally any of you could do this. I'm not even an architect (heck, I'm a biologist!) and I did it! Just try it!

https://www.unrealengine.com/products/udk
6DoF mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Sonic/Samus/Kirby main in Super Smash Bros 4, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Still looking for mappers!

Post by Duper »

*sigh* ok.. maybe I'll give it a try. The tool is a lot friendlier than it used to be, that's for sure. And if i figured out the D3 Editor (with help) then this shouldn't be a problem. Just don't ask me to use kizmet. :P

I'm gunna hate myself for this......
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

No you won't. I promise! You have me and Hawk to ask for help! I never tried the D3 editor, but I was much younger and less determined to map. To be honest, KISMET seems a lot harder than it is, but then again, I only used KISMET to make doors move an such. On top of that, there are a lot more resources to help you out with UDK vs D3 editor. I started with World of Level Design, but then I realized how cursory that information was...after I made my first map out of almost pure BSP.

Don't worry, if anything, I'll be here to walk you through any questions you might have.

Once you download the UDK and are acquainted with the interface, PM me here or on the SolC website and I'll send you my last map, Triaxiality as well as some other assets that got me along so you can dissect them as you want. I found that I learned so much more by seeing other people's maps than by experimenting on a blank map because it gives you a point of reference.

If you make it in as a team member, you'll love yourself for trying: having access to 6DoF in UE3 is so rewarding and just awesome in general. I can't wait to play-test my laser cannons on other devs :twisted2:
6DoF mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Sonic/Samus/Kirby main in Super Smash Bros 4, and all-around nice guy.

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Well, maybe I would have tried to make some maps for different games in the genre 6DOF. But just as an experiment how it will look like Descent from other engines. If at all possible, of course.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

LOL, so temped to do Keg again.. maybe for practice. ^_^

Downloaded and installed. ... and the monkey flips the switch....
I'll let you know how things are going in about a week. I should stop yelling at the program by then. ;)
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Hahaha well don't blow an aneurysm by then ok? We need people who are alive too! Lol

homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

I'm gonna make a tutorial to help out evolving basic workflow using my experience from my maps. Keep an eye out for it XD

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Will do.
I grabbed all the tut vids that are on the "Getting started" page and I'll plow through those to start. That should give me a good over view of the GUI and basic functionality. I'll be posting over at the SC forum as well.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Ok sounds good. I'm keeping an eye on both forums either way. I'm actually writing a quick tut describing my experiences and lessons learned from my maps. I'll let you know when that's done.