Descent : Underground. Did anyone here knew about this?

The return of Descent! Forum for the reboot which will be developed by Descendent Studios.

Moderators: Lothar, dunkelza, Drakona

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Descent : Underground. Did anyone here knew about this?

Post by ReadyMan »

They just posted this video detailing the SINGLE PLAYER Design and story outline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydnQQ_JC14Y

3 days to go....
Fighting villains is what I do!
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Thought I would drop in and say hi. :) Anyway, just recently saw this a couple of weeks ago. Looks like an interesting project. Sadly, I can't afford to provide any money to the project. :( Too many hospital bills. Otherwise, I would try to help out.

I've noticed a few people complain that they are focusing on multiplayer first and not single player. While it is great to work on single player, I think that they are spot on with designing multiplayer first. Multiplayer is going to hold the community together much longer and should be key to figuring out how ships and weapons behave and feel. Especially if they want to capture the same feel the original games had. Honestly, I'm more interested in how the game feels as apposed to how pretty the graphics are.

That being said, I'm also going to contradict myself and mention that I'm not sure I'm keen on the current ship designs. Especially the new substitute GX design that they have in a few of their videos. The wings are extremely wide and are angled completely wrong. It also lacks a sense of depth to the ship as well. It just looks odd. Canopy is also too thin. As much as I hate to say it, it looks like something an amateur would design. I'm hoping it is just something they whipped up quickly to appease the fans and is a placeholder for the real thing. Descent ships have always had a certain style about them. They are also usually a bit more compact but also flashy. The wings on the original GX also angled the gun points on the wings, which added a sense of depth to them. Also, one of teh ships mentioned has spinning wings? Really?

I would focus on the core multiplayer mechanics, toss all the gimmicks such as mining ships aside and get a one-level, one-ship, multiplayer only tech demo out for players to try. Honestly, if we could have the GX back, we only really need one ship anyway. ;)
Korrupt^Bots^
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Korrupt^Bots^ »

I went ahead and boosted my Pledge to the kickstarter
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Upped my pledge to $100 - can't afford anymore :)
dunkelza
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dunkelza »

It got posted in the other thread, but I'll share this new video here:

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Yes, that trailer is AMAZING!

really looking forward to a new DESCENT!

Datguy pledged for the Commander ($150) and I pledged for the Alpha access (no commander logo for me :( )

We only have 100k to go, before we start hitting the stretch goals.

Keep in mind the "anarchy" mode, which will be just like the old descent. There's a lot being included here...something for everyone.

Please back this project!
Fighting villains is what I do!
TigerRaptor

Post by TigerRaptor »

I just learned about it a few days ago.