Comprehensive Bug List

Feedback for the Outrage Entertainment D3 dev team members - bug reports, patch issues, your raves (or rants).
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Comprehensive Bug List

Post by Suncho »

I've compiled a list of bugs here that's roughly organized in order of importance and chronologically in the order I've received them (for the later entries.) Thanks to the following people for contributing to the thread:

Merlin, Solrazor, Deathwinger, garner_1, ZappaFan, larsch, Chunky, SoC, Testi, Goober, NoCat, Grim, Verran, Tank, Vertigo, [RS]max, Daguer, Solo, Krom, Valin Halcyon, DT, Mass, Meat, Krags, SPriest, Bigman, Spidey, BitSpit, Sirius, Lastshadow, patches, DCrazy, Santrix, SK-Punk, Stormcrow, Akuma, Sarge, Mobius, Frag Scorpion, Schplurg, Lanjoe9, Duperman, Teddy, bash, Moon, Wolf on Air, Krom, Flak, Pink Panther, Thunderbird, Ryujin, bash, Mr. Perfect, Roncli, substrate, Daguer, Vertigo Zero, Nirvana, Stresstest, Nagromme, Thunderbunny, Skyalmian

Note that Mr. Perfect has started a thread about Single Player Bugs which will better cover the Single Player Bugs because I know almost nothing about Single Player.

I did copied various things from different people's posts. Also I truly appreciate people's contributions. This list would be nothing without people actually reporting the bugs. =)

Bugs in the PC version and general bugs are labeled in <FONT color="#00FF00">GREEN</font>
Mac bugs are labeled in <FONT color="#0000FF">BLUE</font>

For more information on the Mac related bugs, check out Nagromme's D3 Mac Report

Certain bugs here are marked as <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>. These bugs are ones that have definitely been fixed by Outrage in the latest beta build of the 1.5 patch. Note that some bugs may be fixed which aren't marked as such. If a bug has been fixed that isn't listed as fixed, let me know. Bugs marked as <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT> have definitely not been fixed as of the latest beta I have. Entries marked as <FONT color="FF8000">NOT A BUG</FONT> either the bug doesn't exist and was misreported or it was supposed to be that way in the first place.

There are probably plenty of mistakes in here and I've probably left some stuff out. Feel free to add in your comments and I'll update the list.

Here's a list of the times/dates of updates I've made along with the numbers of the entries I've changed:

8:40pm PST 12-16-2001 #65
7:09pm PST 12-10-2001 #65, #125
4:49pm PST 12-02-2001 #128
3:53pm PDT 10-21-2001 #8, #40, #62, #63, #67, #74, #76, #124
5:31am PDT 10-16-2001 #126, #127
3:21pm PDT 10-08-2001 #124, #125
12:21am PDT 10-06-2001 #8, #123
11:16am PDT 10-03-2001 #103, #121, #122
7:17pm PDT 10-01-2001 #16, #42, #89, #120
3:04pm PDT 9-30-2001 #11, #12, #60, #106, #107, #108, #109, #110, #112, #113, #114, #115, #116, #117, #118, #119
9:44am PDT 9-29-2001 #14, #25, #94, #105
11:50am PDT 9-27-2001 #8, #104
12:17pm PDT 9-26-2001 #44, #68a, #68b, #78, #93, #102, #103
2:38pm PDT 9-25-2001 #8, #26, #64, #84
6:45am PDT 9-25-2001 #22, #23, #24, #31, #36 #53, #92, #93, #94, #95, #96, #97, #98, #99, #100, #101
2:24pm PDT 9-23-2001 #6, #7, #10, #20, #23, #24, #64
7:51pm PDT 9-22-2001 #89
2:53am PDT 9-21-2001 #54
9:25pm PDT 9-20-2001 #89, #90
8:03pm PDT 9-19-2001 #1, #2, #3, #5, #13, #24, #54, #66, #79, #80 #88, #89, #90, #91
9:27pm PDT 9-08-2001 #31, #44
2:39pm PDT 9-04-2001 #12, #87
6:51am PDT 9-01-2001 #82, #83, #84, #85, #86, #87
11:20pm PDT 8-30-2001 #28, #79, #80, #81
11:32pm PDT 8-04-2001 #44, #78
12:22am PDT 7-30-2001 #77
1:51pm PDT 7-27-2001 #76
10:37pm PDT 7-26-2001 #68, #69, #70, #71, #72, #73, #74, #75
1:31pm PDT 7-25-2001 #64, #65, #66, #67
7:58am PDT 7-19-2001 #15, #37, #47, #52, #57, #58
6:44am PDT 7-18-2001 #8, #53, #60, #61, #62, #63
7:34am PDT 7-17-2001 #44, #54, #55, #56, #57, #58, #59
9:04pm PDT 7-15-2001 #2, #4, #14, #15, #53
11:06pm PDT 7-13-2001 #21, #46, #47, #48, #49, #50, #51, #52
7:45pm PDT 7-12-2001 #44, #45
7:03pm PDT 7-12-2001 #2, #7, #12, #33, #37, #40, #41, #42, #43

The Bugs:

<FONT color="#00FF00">1. Name: PXO Problems</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: PXO chat and games crash a lot.

Trigger: Anything/Nothing/Whatever. Contact [MS]1Tech

Notes: Although this isn't technically a bug in version 1.4 of Descent 3 (although it could be related to a bug), it is the most important thing that needs fixing in this game. Some players are able to reproduce (cause) PXO crashes by doing certain things like logging in twice. Try contacting [MS]1Tech for more information.

<FONT color="#00FF00">2. Name: Vauss Bug</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem:

i. Vauss: Does no Damage. Not visible to the player being shot at. Only one stream is visible to the person shooting if in a Pyro.

ii. Napalm Cannon: Does no Damage even though the napalm stream is visible to the player being shot at.

iii. Omega Cannon: Does no Damage. Not visible to the player being shot at.

Trigger: Fire one of these weapons while holding down secondaries if secondaries are empty.

Notes: This happens 100% of the time and is most definitely a bug. It affects all the "continuous stream" weapons. Although it's a serrious bug, it's difficult to spot unless you know what you're looking for. This bug is adversely affecting many players and they don't even know it. These weapons send on/off packets to notify the server whether they're firing. But interestingly enough they send an "on" packet when you let go of secondaries and an "off" packet (or it stops sending on packets) when you either run out of secondaries or press secondaries when empty. It is not due to packet loss.

<FONT color="#00FF00">3. Name: Omega Damage Bug</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Disproportionate shield damage from Omega Cannon which sometimes results in instant death.

Trigger: While firing omega, move quickly past someone's ship.

Notes: A possible cause may be that the Omega Cannon's damage is calculated by the number of streams on a ship and that if the shooter moves relative to the target, more hit areas exist and the game thinks there are more Omega streams.

<FONT color="#00FF00">4. Name: Checksum Bug</font>

Problem: A windows client is unable to join a Linux server.

Trigger: A checksum mismatching. It depends on the level the server is running. Most levels work but some don't (ie Kata, Laserdeath).

Notes: It may have been fixed already but just not implemented in the windows version. Linux players currently can't play on windows servers, and windows
people can't play on (loki) linux servers. Icculus from Loki has already fixed this for the linux end. It's due to a "level checksum bug", which is due to a slight different in sqrt functions on linux and windows.

<FONT color="#00FF00">5. Name: Omega Energy Bug</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Omega Cannon uses energy faster for people with higher framerates.

Trigger: A higher framerate.

Notes: A change in the fire delay on the Omega Cannon from .002 (500 times/sec) to somthing more like .025 (40 times/sec) may fix it.

<FONT color="#00FF00">6. Name: Tablefile Hack</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Players can enter servers with modified table files.

Trigger: Cheaters. ;)

Notes: I'm not sure exactly what people can modify but to quote Testiculese "But don't remove the ability to have an external gam file altogether. I like my white supers and excessive napalm rocket trails and red flare and conc explosion sounds." Unlike Testiculese, I firmly believe that custom sounds, graphics, and table file settings of any kind are a form of cheating should be fixed.

<FONT color="#00FF00">7. Name: List Crash Bug</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: While viewing the in-game PXO server list, Descent 3 crashes.

Trigger: Sorting a list or clicking somewhere.

Notes: The cause of this bug is to sort the game list more than once before it has completely finished loading all of the games on the list.

To reproduce it, goto the game list and as soon as you can see the list hit sort by ping 3 times, one right after another. That will cuz it to crash. Now if you wait till the whole game list loads before doing this it will not crash.

<FONT color="#00FF00">8. Name: Demo Bugs</font>

Problem: There are many glitches in demos.

Trigger: Specific triggers unknown. The following are all examples of problems that can happen with demo playback:

i. Mortar pushes don't show.

ii. Ships often change appearance in demo playback between a Pyro-GL and the ship that was actually used. <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

iii. Sometimes ships are invisible during demo playback.

iv. Powerups are often "merged" together. So instead of seeing the accurate powerups in the level, you often see something like a fusion/smart missile combination <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

v. Rear view does not work very often in demo playback. Sometimes it does, but other times it is stuck to your opponent's latest respawn point, or it is your opponent's rear view. <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

vi. Sometimes the demo full front view will experience the same problems as the rear view. <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

vii. Gets stuck with "press spacebar to continue" <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

viii. Demos recorded at high framerates play back slowly

ix. Levels with custom textures don't show up properly in demos. This is a problem with D3 loading the custom tablefile. <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

x. Ghost Ships. <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

xi. Player Colors aren't displayed on the ship. <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

xii. A lot of the sounds don't work. <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

xiii. Scores aren't displayed. <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Notes: The bigger the demo file, the more problems it seems to have.

<FONT color="#00FF00">9. Name: Packet Forcing Bug</font>

Problem: A player can force tons and tons of packets through and shoot really reapid fire weapons. It has the side effect of raising your ping into 4 or 5 digits.

Trigger: Contact Skorpion (skorpion@slyclan.de) for information on how to reproduce.

Notes: I've had it demonstrated to me where the player was shooting plasma and mass driver at the same time. It hurts the person who's exploiting the bug as much as it does the people he's using it on. It's nasty in that it just ruins Gameplay overall.

<FONT color="#00FF00">10. Name: NAT Bug</font> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: The server player interacts normally. The other players appear to be stuck in their spawn points when they're really flying around. You're invulnerable to them. Dedicated servers are not seen if they are behind NAT equipment.

Trigger: You're behind a NAT firewall and you join a peer to peer game or run a dedicated server.

Notes: I'm behind a NAT router so I experience this first hand. Bigman says "On my router, I can direct any incoming packets on port 2092 to the machine I play d3 on/or the server. This is how I get my server to work with Gamespy/Kali/Direct tcp/ip. When I try to run a server on PXO, it starts up and communicates to PXO. Since I use NAT, my router converts source port of 2092 but the destination is still 2092. PXO reads the packet, sees that the destination port is different than 2092, lets say 5000. PXO then fowards the different destination port to all the players. Then the other players try to see my server via the other port number, 5000, but can't because that is the wrong port number. My router will only expect a reply back only from PXO on port 5000 (2092 will work too since it is mapped to go to that machine), but not from other IP addresses. It doesn't know where to send that port number on my LAN, or how to translate it. Only PXO is allowed to communicate back on port 5000. This also explains why we can only see the server player in a p2p non-dedi game.

Ways around this is to have PXO read the source port instead of the destination port, but this may cause problems with players that use NAT. Maybe an option to force PXO to use the port when using the -useport command line. Encode the port info somewhere in the packet so it doesn't get translated. Maybe add a -forceport option instead. Better still, have an -sourceport option so that it tells PXO to use the source port rather than the destination port."

<FONT color="#0000FF">11. Name: Mac Server Bug</font>

Problem: PC's can't join Mac servers without crashing.

Trigger: Trying to join a Mac Server from a PC. =P

Notes: Big problem for Macs. It may be related to the checksum bug which will be fixed in 1.5.

<FONT color="#0000FF">12. Name: Mac Texture Problem</font>

Problem: Mac players can't play certain levels with custom textures while others work.

Trigger: N/A

Notes: It's possible that this was not a bug in the game itself, rather a bug in the way the level designer implements the tablefile. Certain levels like Pyroglyphic just don't work. The textures don't. But I did some testing with a Mac friend of mine and he could see the textures in Chocobo world and the new team Pyroglyphic just fine. I guess the level author implimented the table files differently. The only problem is after a while it'd crash his whole computer. This seems to be a separate problem but it's also happening in levels with custom textures and only on Macs. Unfortunately I don't have any other Mac friends so I don't know if this is unique to his system.

<FONT color="#00FF00">13. Name: Mine Packets Bug</font>

Problem: Mines cause lag.

Trigger: They send too many position packets.

Notes: Mobius says, "This applies to Mines and to the Monsterball in that mode. Non-moving objects and newtonian objects do NOT require to send a position packet except when bumped or exploding. See http://planetdescent.com/d3help/nolag.shtml for a full description of what I had in mind to cure this problem."

<FONT color="#00FF00">14. Empty</font> <FONT color="FF8000">NOT A BUG</FONT>

<FONT color="#00FF00">15. Name: Shift Bug</font>

Problem: Game acts as if shift key is being held down in some areas and in other areas stuff just doesn't work.

Trigger: It seems to happen after using the shift key but not 100% of the time.

Notes: In F8 if you're typing a message and you use shift for caps it can get stuck and enter won't work. The only way to get out of it is to keep tying until it automatically rolls over. The Shift problem can also prevent spacebar from working when trying to respawn. Fix by pressing Shift+f9 twice. It brings the log up and then back down. For the F keys (F1, F2 etc) it acts as if the shift key is being held down and for some reason when I press escape to leave the game it makes me bank left instead. It could be related to the way windows handles the shift key (treats both as one). Maybe Descent 3 sees 1 shift key as 2 shift keys for some reason and then windows sees the 2 shift keys that Descent 3 gives it as one.

<FONT color="#00FF00">16. Name: Friend Kill Bug</font> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Kill a teammate even when friendly fire is on.

Trigger: Player dies (or goes to observer) with weapons he shot still flying around. It can damage and kill a fellow teammate.

Notes: When the player dies, the weapons are no longer tied to the team.

<FONT color="#00FF00">17. Name: BP MOD Crash</font>

Problem: On server reset or when quitting the server, the client's game crashes.

Trigger: A player who does not have Mercenary is quitting a server where the mission has a table file that replaces some elements from extra.gam

Notes: Serial Murder Lullaby is an example. Pacbox had to leave the BP unmodded to prevent this and it ruins the atmosphere when a BP joins. Fixing this bug would help developers and level builders.

<FONT color="#00FF00">18. Name: Tablefile Cleanup Bug</font>

Problem: Descent3 crashes often after exiting a mission with certain custom objects. Sometimes D3 leaves residue on servers of firing super pyros and plasma magnums.

Trigger: Descent 3 does not 'clean up' custom table files properly.

Notes: For the server crashes, apparently what happens is that it loads objects from d3.hog/table.gam, extra.hog/extra.gam, extra13.hog/extra.gam, mission.mn3/mission.gam and then it doesn't clean up memory correctly. It doesn't overwrite read-in entries entirely.

<FONT color="#00FF00">19. Name: Paging Data Error</font>

Problem: Error when Paging Data from a file.

Trigger: Unknown

Notes: Possibly linked to a fault in Descent 3's inability to properly unload table files.

<FONT color="#00FF00">20. Name: Disappearing Reticle Bug</font> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Reticle disappears.

Trigger: Picking up new weapons or switching weapons in general. Possibly dying and respawning or using a menu.

Notes: May be related to a HOG corruption bug. Putting files outside of HOG might fix it. Being a server in a peer to peer game seems to increase it.

<FONT color="#00FF00">21. Name: White Box Reticle Bug</font>

Problem: A white box appears on the reticle.

Trigger: Picking up new weapons or switching weapons in general. Possibly dying and respawning or using a menu.

Notes: May be related to a HOG corruption bug. Putting files outside of HOG might fix it. Using OpenGL increases risk. Happens on nVidia cards but doesn't seem to happen on ATI Radeon cards.

<FONT color="#00FF00">22. Name: Broken Reticle Bug</font> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: The reticle gets jumbled up or disconnected.

Notes: May be related to a HOG corruption bug. Putting files outside of HOG might fix it. The 3 reticle bugs may be related (or the same bug).

<FONT color="#00FF00">23. Name: Typing/Texture Streaking Bug</font> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Transparent textures and procedural textures get all weird and can streak.

Trigger: Someone on the screen is typing.

Notes: Maybe it has something to do with the transparency of the Keyboard? It happens in both Glide and Direct3D. Not sure about OpenGL but probably. The other guy's keyboard has to be in your field of view for it to happen. It doesn't happen when you type because you can't see your own keyboard.

<FONT color="#00FF00">24. Name: Napalm Transparency Bug</font> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Napalm from a Napalm Rocket is opaque with a black outline.

Trigger: Napalm over a transparent texture.

Notes: From some angles it looks normal, but from others the problem exists. This is very Ugly. =) This happened when I was using Glide. A good place to test it is the area in Kataclysmica that has a transparent floor with water under it. I noticed that with my voodoo3 it seemed a lot worse than with my voodoo5. It also happened in Direct3D on a Radeon.

<FONT color="#00FF00">25. Name: Framecap Issues</font> <FONT color="FF8000">NOT A BUG</FONT>

Problem: -framecap command line option slows framerate too far.

Notes: Krom says, "The reason I don't like to framecap function is because of the way it works. Say you have your framecap at 100, and your computer can only render 99 FPS, framecap will force your computer to only draw 50 FPS. Because framecap only supports deviding the framerate by 1/X so 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc. If you cant completely disable the framecap perhaps you can make it support diffrent deviders such as 99/120 or 443/1000, etc. In short even "-framecap 999" makes your computer wait to render a frame, so please find a way to tell D3 to stop waiting and get in gear." <FONT color="FF8000">It turns out this is a limitation of the framerate indicator. The actual framerates aren't being limited.</FONT>

<FONT color="#00FF00">26. Name: Single Player Custom Textures Bug</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Custom Textures are not visible in a mission with custom textures.

Trigger: Save game with a mission that uses custom textures. Leave. Load game.

Notes: none

<FONT color="#00FF00">27. Name: Invis Napalm</font>

Problem: Player catches fire from an area that does not appear to have napalm.

Trigger: Napalm is in a different place on the server from where it is on the client's screen. Can be caused by lag or loss or BOA/not being in the room when it was fired.

Notes: A possible solution is to broadcast the location the napalm rocket hits on the server via an extra packet so it lands in the same place on all machines.

<FONT color="#00FF00">28. Name: Red Guidebot Bug</font>

Problem: Server Crash in Co-op game.

Trigger: BP releases red guidebot on a server without Merc.

Notes: To fix, include the Guidebot model or just make the table entry point to the blue Guidebot model. There may have to be a non-merc client in the game as well. Outrage is having trouble reproducing this one so any additional info would be great!

<FONT color="#00FF00">29. Name: Non-Dedicated Logo Bug</font>

Problem: When joining a non-dedicated server, the logo of the server player in the f7 menu will show your picture instead of his.

<FONT color="#00FF00">30. Name: Flare/Lighting Glitch</font>

Problem: Flares leave behind lighting artifacts in cracks between faces.

Trigger: Flaring a lot and using the menus.

Notes: Not 100% reproduceable. I've had it happen in veins tunnels, in Snake Eyes, and in the lower tunnel in Indika.

<FONT color="#00FF00">31. Name: Player Linking Bug (Marek Bug)</font>

Problem: Occaisonally a player's stats will be represented by another player name (who's not in the server anymore) in the f7 menu and on HUD mini-playerlist.

Trigger: unknown.

Notes: Happens more as the server is up for longer. For some reason it happens with Marek a lot. One time I saw 6 Marek's in a server. It has happened to me before as well. Substrate thinks it might be related to the game server receiving multiple join packets. If this is the case, then it would make sense that certain people with certain internet connections would experience it more often. Substrate observed it closely when it happened to him. He joined a game but 2 of him appeared in there with only one "copy" of him receiving the score. Both copies on the f7 list are highlighted as being you when this happens. Substrate theorizes that what causes a player to be represented by a different name is when the original person who duplicated leaves the server, and someone else joins with that color, the copy of the original player is still there and receives the stats. After this bug has taken place, the server will crash when rotating to the next level. May be related to #36

<FONT color="#00FF00">32. Name: MOD Auto-Downlaod Problems</font>

Problem: Auto-download support for game mods is faulty. Impedes success of user-created multiplayer game modes.

Notes: MODS must be auto-downloaded from Outrage's MOD site whereas levels can be downloaded from anywhere.

<FONT color="#00FF00">33. Name: Subway Co-op Crash</font>

Problem: Crash in Level 4 (Subways) in Co-op C/S mode.

Trigger: A player collides with a train.

Notes: This does not always happen. Does not happen in Peer to Peer.

<FONT color="#00FF00">34. Name: Co-op Level Crashes</font>

Problem: Levels 5, 11, 13, 14 all crash in co-op.

Trigger: Unkown

Notes: I haven't tested this.

<FONT color="#00FF00">35. Name: Waypoint Object Collision Bug</font>

Problem: MODs are not notified when an object collides with a "waypoint" object.

Notes: I don't know what this means but it sounds moderately serious.

<FONT color="#00FF00">36. Name: Double Respawn Bug</font>

Problem: After entering a server and flying around a bit, the player suddenly respawns again. A ghost player is left behind. DCrazy typed it in caps

Trigger: Unknown (loss?)

Notes: Although this is extremely rare, I've had it happen a few times and Sarge complained about it as well. May be related to #31.

<FONT color="#00FF00">37. Name: Level 13 Completion Bug</font>

Problem: On the CED Expediator level (Level 13), the Aft Matcen causes a bug where you can actually complete the mission without destroying all of the Stormtrooper bots. This is probably a data file problem.

Notes: This is directly linked to how long you keep the Aft Matcen active before deactivating it.

<FONT color="#00FF00">38. Name: Level Change Homing Lock Problem</font>

Problem: No lock warnings for homing weapons.

Trigger: Somteimes happens after a level change in the single player game.

Notes: Hasn't been noticed in multi. This problem seems to go away if you die, and may also sometimes go away seemingly on its own.

<FONT color="#00FF00">39. Name: New Pilot Training Mission Problem</font>

Problem: When you make a new Pilot then go to New Game, you are forced to go to the Training Mission before you can select from a list of missions/campaigns to play. Workaround is to Quit the game when the Training Mission starts.

Notes: This is probably intentional but can get annoying. What about having it only do this for your first pilot... or not at all would be good too. ;)

<FONT color="#00FF00">40. Name: Dedi Server Crash Problem</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Dedicated servers that crash cause pop-up messages and the processes don't die.

Trigger: Server Crash

Notes: The provided information about the crash reason could be simply written to a log file instead. Or the popup window must close automatically after some time.

<FONT color="#00FF00">41. Name: Omega Freeze Problem</font>

Problem: Screen freezes.

Trigger: Omega is fired.

Notes: It only happens with certain video cards. A possible solution would be to add a command line option to make the Omega invisible similar to -NoRenderWindows for the opaque window problem. [RS]Max says, "I have a NVidia Riva 128ZX with the latest drivers (yeah it's old but I have no money ) and It doesn't like the omega cannon. D3 runs fine until the omega is fired. Then the screen freezes up until the omega is turned off. This happens in D3D and in OGL. Also fog and power up halos have a similar effect when they are turned on in D3D, but they work fine in OGL. In the D3 demo1 the fog and power up halos worked fine under D3D. I don't care much about those special effects because they can be turned off. If they could fix the omega problem, or even add an option to make omega invisible so you can only see the sparkles it made, I would be very happy."

<FONT color="#00FF00">42. Name: Backwards Pyro Logo</font> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: The logo on one side of both the pyro-gl and the black pyro is reversed (mirror image).

Notes: This may be intentional but it's kind of annoying when you have words in your logo that need to be read.

<FONT color="#00FF00">43. Name: Flare Framerate Problem</font>

Problem: Major framerate hits.

Trigger: Flares stuck in the wall in the room.

Notes: This isn't really a bug but it can make the game unplayable for some people. It might be partly because of the flickering of the flares. Maybe a -noflareflicker or a -norenderflares option would be the ticket.

<FONT color="#00FF00">44. Name: Backwards Mirror Bug</font> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: See the front of your ship in a mirror when you're looking out the small rear view.

Notes: Kinda weird but not that big of a deal. Does not apply to the large full screen rear view. But if you're in full screen rear view mode, and you look out of your small rear view (which is now your front view) into a mirror, you see the back of your ship, which should now be the front of your ship.

<FONT color="#00FF00">45. Name: Custom Object File Crashes</font>

Problem: Levels with custom objects crash.

<FONT color="#00FF00">46. Name: Co-op Music Bug</font>

Problem: Only the first player who enters the mine in CO-OP will get the music right. Everyone else will get the level 1 Music.

<FONT color="#00FF00">47. Name: Level 8 Problem</font>

Problem: In Level 8 Retribution, the 3rd cooling tower locks.

Trigger: The heat-sink being destroyed on the 3rd cooling tower.

Notes: This isn't so much a bug as it is an oversite. In single play this is fine. But in coop, there is no way to get in if someone is outside. It seems that you always get some dude in there that rushes gungho! into the situation without thinking or they don't know the mine.
Perhaps the door can unlock/open from outside but not inside. This is a data file issue.

<FONT color="#00FF00">48. Name: Guidebot Menu Crash</font>

Problem: The game crashes without warning in level 9 Retribution.

Trigger: Bring up the guidebot menu about 7 or 8 times.

Notes: Can happen even if you're not hosting. Duperman was able to replicate it twice.

<FONT color="#00FF00">49. Name: Level 5 End Problem</font>

Problem: Level 5 Retribution doesn't end and continue to level 6. The countdown completes and nothing happens.

Notes: This isn't really a big deal until it's hosted on a server instead of a player. You can't just "end level".

<FONT color="#00FF00">50. Name: Manual Control Powerup</font>

Problem: In Mercenaries level 4 there is a guidbot power up in the top level, up the middle hall over a pool and past a bot generator on the left. Also on the left there is a set of portals. The second set on the left has it. It is a joystick and is called a "Manual Control" powerup. when it is activated the GB says "be gentle" but nothing happens.

<FONT color="#00FF00">51. Name: Level 13 Stormtrooper Crash</font>

Problem: Game Crashes in level 13 Retribution.

Trigger: Happens when Storm Troopers are all dead.

Notes: Duperman isn't 100% sure about this one.

<FONT color="#00FF00">52. Name: CED Juggernaut Engine Trouble</font>

Problem: The engine shutdown isn't logged on the objectives screen as "completed". When you go through the blast chamber, the ship continues to shake and move even though the engines are off. This is a data file issue.

Notes: None

<FONT color="#00FF00">53. Name: 32-bit Problem </font>

Problem: Color depth gets reset to 16-bit even if previously set on 32-bit

Trigger: Starting a level.

Notes: pATChes11 reports having dithering even when 32-bit mode is set.

<FONT color="#00FF00">54. Name: Fusion Bug</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Overcharged fusion does not cause damage to the person charging.

Trigger: Affects any client in a Peer to Peer game.

<FONT color="#00FF00">55. Name: Guidebot menu overlap-bug</font>

Problem: When you come up with the GB menu the list of commands is so long that the last entry reaches below the cancel button into the menu border so you can hardly read it.

Trigger: Bring up the guidebot menu in a level with a lot of objectives (like level 14)

<FONT color="#00FF00">56. Name: Old Scratch/Napalm Bug</font>

Problem: When Old Scratch steals Napalm Cannon and you get it back, it's full with 50 liters.

Trigger: n/a

<FONT color="#00FF00">57. Name: level 12 key-bug </font>

Problem: The objective, "acquire the level 4 key" is listed as incomplete and it is impossible to leave the level even when the level 4 key is acquired.

Trigger: unknown

Notes: Doesn't happen all of the time but it happened to Moon several times. This is a data file issue.

<FONT color="#00FF00">58. Name: Homunculus Bug</font>

Problem: Level 6 doesn't end even after defeating Homunculus.

Notes: Doesn't happen all the time.

<FONT color="#00FF00">59. Name: Multiplayer Glass Bug</font>

Problem: Breakable glass doesn't break in multiplayer.

Notes: I've heard reports of it primarily in the Merc levels (where you have to go in the air ducts)

<FONT color="#00FF00">60. Name: Custom Object Limit</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: The custom object limit is too low for optimum MODability

Notes: While technically not a bug, many view it as a problem. The low limit greatly hinders MOD development which is an important part of any game.

<FONT color="#00FF00">61. Name: OSRIS Problems</font>

Problem: Several functions only have handlers for one of the MSafe function calls (GetSetting and CallFunction)

<FONT color="#00FF00">62. Name: Observer Problem</font> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: People can go into observer and back out again to fill up on shields. People can't go into observer from the death screen.

Notes: The current limit is 50 shields. If you have below 50 shields, you can't go into observer. When you leave observer you start as if you had just spawned from death. Although this isn't a bug, it is abused by some people. Possible solutions include raising the limit to 100 shields and possibly enabling entering observer mode on the death screen. Currently, on the death screen, you get "not enough shields to enter observer mode." If the limit is 100 shields and you can go to observer on the death screen, people who actually use observer mode productively won't be hindered at all. They can go into observer right when they join a game or when they want to take a break and watch for a bit (but not when someone's about to kill them).

<FONT color="#00FF00">63. Name: Shaking Bug</font> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Shaking (as a result of MD, Black Shark, or Afterburner) happens more rapidly for some people.

Trigger: Higher framerates.

Notes: I tested this, and although it does appear to be more rapid, it doesn't make your ship turn around or anything (like D2). I'm not sure if it affects aiming much at all. Either way it's not that big of a deal.

<FONT color="#00FF00">64. Name: Heat.net Problem</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Heat.net is first on the multiplayer list.

Notes: Not only does it minimize the game (often causing a crash) but Heat.net no longer exists so it's pointless to have that option anyway.

<FONT color="#00FF00">65. Name: Mouse Polling/FPS Bug</font>

Problem: Mouse buttons (and joystick buttons bound to keyboard keys) don't hold down properly resulting in some wacky stuff.

Trigger: High FPS (over 150-200)

Notes: With high framerates, the mouse buttons are not polled correctly in D3. The game thinks that the mouse button is being held down and let go of inbetween frames. The problem affects any graphics rendering device. We previously believed it only affected Glide, but I have managed to reproduce it in OpenGL as well in a low polygon test level. At this point, realistically only Glide players are going to be affected by it in real game situations because OpenGL and Direct3D framerates don't get high enough in Descent 3. But as graphics accelerators get faster, this little bug could become more and more of a problem. It doesn't happen with framerates lower than 150fps so capping framerates at 150 is a workaround for it. The bug makes it impossible to charge fusion because D3 thinks you've let go of the mouse button and fires the fusion while you're charging. It also makes it impossible to zoom with the MD, and if afterburner is being used on a mouse button, it will sputter on and off really fast resulting in a sluggish feeling and the sound of the afterburner going off in sort of a rapid fire. Bash thought it was his sound card overloading because of all the afterburner sound at once, but this isn't the case. It doesn't have anything to do with sound (except that it produces sound). As with the afterburner, constant stream weapons such as the napalm cannon and omega cannon are affected in a similar way. It's not so noticeable with lasers because repeatedly hitting the fire key would produce a similar result to holding it down. Testiculese, Thunderbunny, and Birdseye have all reported having problems with this bug.

Interestingly enough this problem affects joystick buttons bound to keyboard keys through the sidewinder software in the exact same manner. So it must have something in common with the mouse...

<FONT color="#00FF00">66. Name: Fog Glitches</font>

Problem: Fog is opaque from certain angles.

Notes: It's noticeable in the top in core when you're on the dead end side of the mirror. It's also quite apparent in the upper area in Chasm with the Orange Fog and the secret door. I've heard that the problem does not happen with OpenGL but I'm not sure. I was using Glide when I experienced it.

<FONT color="#00FF00">67. Name: In Game Private Messages Problem</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: In-game private messages only display on the screen of the person receiving the message.

Notes: It's hard to tell if the message was sent correctly. If it sends, it should display on both player's screens. If it doesn't then it should say "PlayerX isn't in game" or something like that.

<FONT color="#00FF00">68a. Name: Missile View Saving Problem</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>
Problem: The F2/General/Missile View setting (left right or center) in does not save.

Notes: The option has been removed in 1.5. As it turns out it wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. It is, however, possible to turn it back on by manually setting it in the registry. #68a and #68b are not related. I just accidentally numbered 2 as #68.

<FONT color="#00FF00">68b. Name: Merc Level 7 Bug</font>

Problem: Ordinarily in Mercenary level 7 you got to place a bomb on the delivery pad. As
soon as you've placed it and gone down the main elevators arriving at
the door with the boss bot behind, the bomb goes off automatically
and you can enter the boss room. Sometimes the bomb does not trigger and you can't use the elevators to get down.

Notes: It's happened to Moon but is not 100% reproduceable. It could be some sort of scripting problem. #68a and #68b are not related. I just accidentally numbered 2 as #68.

<FONT color="#00FF00">69. Name: Ghost Bots </font>

Problem: The player will be attacked by a robot that does not exist, or can't be seen. Not sure wich.

Trigger: Unknown.

Notes: These ghosts are usualy "contact" bots, but ghost squids have also been reported. Seems it can happen on any level, both in Retribution and Merc. The robots are usualy identifiable by their attack sounds, which play during the attack. After-burning away a few rooms usualy seems to leave the ghost behind. The damage done by the ghost is much higher then normal.

<FONT color="#00FF00">70. Name: Music Bug </font>

Problem: Music turns off completely

Trigger: Entering an area of the mine that should trigger a new portion of the song.

Notes: Mr. Perfect has this problem in Merc level 1. The music stops after flying above the Reactor into the escape tunnels. Some people have reported it in other levels. Going into the sound control and turning the music level to 0 and then back up will jump start the missing music section, but it will only play once before returning to silence. Only the one area of the mine is affected, returning to another "music area" starts that area's music section normaly.

<FONT color="#00FF00">71. Name: Hoard Orb Singleplayer Bug</font>

Problem: A hoard orb sometimes appears in Single Player.

Trigger: Death. Emerges with rest of spew.

Notes: Doesn't happen often. The orb can't be picked up for what ever reason. No HUD message comes up after running one over. This has happened to Mr. Perfect in level 15 after dying in a fully-stocked Magnum. He's also had the problem in Top Hush, with the same ship and load out. It could be related to the magnum or those levels.

<FONT color="#00FF00">72. Name: AB cooler Quad Laser Bug</font>

Problem: AB cooler turns into a second Quad Laser.

Trigger: Launching the Guidebot in Level 15.

Notes: This happens 100% of the time in a Magnum. Not sure about other ships.

<FONT color="#00FF00">73. Name: Guidebot/Fan Problem</font>

Problem: Guidebot gets stuck.

Trigger: Flying by and getting sucked into a fan.

Notes: This is only a problem when he gets sucked down the two fans in Merc level 3 that cannot be destroyed. Either making all four fans destroyable so the GB can be rescued or making them weaker so he can fly out could both be solutions. Or if you want to make the solution newbie-proof, have a grate-like covering over the tops of the fans. The grates could be made to explode along with the fans the player is ment to destroy.

<FONT color="#00FF00">74. Name: Surface Cannon Bug </font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Surface Cannon in Level 10 kills people in observer mode

Trigger: Flying in front of it in observer.

<FONT color="#00FF00">75. Name: Cartridge Respawn Bug </font>

Problem: Data Cartridge does not respawn in level 3.

Trigger: dying

<FONT color="#00FF00">76. Name: VSync/Framerate Problems</font> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Controls are sluggish. They take longer to respond.

Trigger: High framerates with VSync on.

Notes: This is actually just a side-effect of bug #124. Vsync caps the framerates and the slower framerates cause the ship to be less responsive.

<FONT color="#00FF00">77. Name: Hud Name Save Problem</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: HUD Name level settings get saved at a lower setting than what the person selected.

Trigger: If you're set on a higher hud name level than the server, it will automatically bump you down, but after you leave the game you're still bumped down.

Notes: An example would be Bob has his hud name level set to "full" but he joins server 1 which has it set to "team only". He leaves server one and goes to server 2 which is set as "full" but Bob is still only on "team only" because that's the last server he was on. This is a problem because most people don't use hud names because of the hassle of setting it every time you join a full hudname server and this gives an unfair advantage to the people who take the time to max it out every time.

<FONT color="#00FF00">78. Name: Pilot Command Line Bug</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Pilot keeps switching after you leave a game.

Trigger: If you set a default pilot using the -pilot command line switch.

Notes: It lets you select an alternate pilot on the menu but keeps changing it back. This behavior should either be described in the readme description of the command line option or fixed.

<FONT color="#00FF00">79. Name: Team Stats Name Problem</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: In stats files of team games it doesn't list which team people are on.

Notes: Color is displayed in the end game stats.

<FONT color="#00FF00">80. Name: Team Scores Problem</font> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: In the stats screen when the game ends, the score in team games is not displayed.

Notes: Score is displayed in the stats file.

<FONT color="#00FF00">81. Name: Game List Problem</font>

Problem: Games appear and disappear from the in-game PXO game list.

Notes: This doesn't happen when the same list is viewed from Gate or GameSpy. Could it be related to the in-game list having a shorter time-out requirement?

<FONT color=#00FF00">82. Name: Monsterball Multiple Score Bug</FONT>

Problem: One Monsterball score is counted multiple times

Trigger: Unknown. Maybe lag.

Notes: This is very rare.

<FONT color=#00FF00">83. Name: Server Window Scores Bug</FONT>

Problem: With most Outrage MODs, the kills, deaths, and suicides columns are one character wide when $scores is used in the dedicated server console.

<FONT color=#00FF00">84. Name: Demo Save Bug</FONT> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: You can load a game that was saved while viewing a demo.

Notes: Unlike multiplayer, while viewing demos the save game option is not disabled (as it should be). Loading a game saved from a demo viewing sometimes causes a crash.

<FONT color=#00FF00">85. Name: OSIRIS MSafe_ Problems</FONT>

Problem: MSafe_ functions that should work for both MSafe_CallFunction() and MSafe_GetValue() only work for one or the other.

<FONT color=#00FF00">86. Name: OSIRIS Obj_SetCustomAnim() Delay Problem</FONT>

Problem: Obj_SetCustomAnim() doesn't work as expected with a zero delay for animation time

Notes: You should be able to use it to set an animation frame instantly, but there isn't an exception handler for that. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This is extremely annoying.

<FONT color=#00FF00">87. Name: Extra Files/Server Crash Bug</FONT>

Problem: Server crashes.

Trigger: End of the level.

Notes: This happens in Earthshaker 2001 every time and is probably related to some of the extra files packaged with it.

<FONT color=#00FF00">88. Name: Black Pyro Engine Glow bug</FONT>

Problem: Black Pyro's engines don't glow in the dark.

Notes: The alpha channel should be set to 1 as it is for the other ships. This is easy to fix in the table file.

<FONT color=#00FF00">89. Name: Bump Mapping Problems</FONT>

Problem: Sometimes only the bump map will show up and not the ship itself.

Notes: This happens when using a Geforce3 with Bump Mapping in Direct3D. Maybe d3 was only designed to do bump mapping with the Matrox cards?

Vertigo Zero originally reported it, but I had the opportunity to test the bug today on a Geforce 3 and I experienced the same problem in both multiplayer & singleplayer and in a bunch of different levels. His GF3 was a Visiontek and mine was an Asus. I tried it with both the Asus drivers and the Nvidia reference drivers.

Teddy says he has bump mapping problems on his Radeon. He can only see one ship bump mapped at a time except for the team color textures, and has similar lighting, and mirror problems to what happens on the Geforce 3. The Radeon doesn't seem to have the disappearing ship (bump map) only problem though.

Interesting Geforce3 Tidbits:

1. It affected robots too. Sometimes robots with multiple parts only had certain parts affected.

2. There seems to be 3 different forms: ship with bump mapping working correctly, ship with no bump mapping, and only the bump mapping but no ship. I only noticed the ship without bump mapping when I was in a dark corner in chase mode so only the engines were visible.

3. I noticed that sometimes when my ship becomes bump map only, the light maps in the rear view disappear.

4. When I was looking in a mirror in chase mode, my ship was ok, but the ship in the reflection was affected and only had the bump map.

5. I've noticed various little things that seem to affect it. Shooting flares seems to correct the problem for an instant and proximity to mirrors and/or procedural textures might affect it but I'm not sure.

<FONT color=#00FF00">90. Name: Transparency Glitches</FONT>

Problem: At certain angles, transparent textures appear to be opaque.

Notes: This happened on a Geforce3 and a Geforce2 in Direct3D. It may be related to bug #24 or bug #66.

<FONT color=#00FF00">91. Name: Server Firing Bug</FONT>

Problem: Pilot is unable to fire either primaries or secondaries or both... sometimes even flares.

Trigger: Might be related to some sort of continuous loss.

Notes: This is a really weird one. It's also very rare. I've only experienced it on server. I first noticed it when I was trying to fire my mass driver and it wouldn't fire. Firing secondaries seemed to get it going again. But then it stopped and I was having similar problems with vauss and the other guns. I tried it with lasers and they just wouldn't shoot for a long time but then suddenly it was as if it all came out at once really fast. I've seen similar things happen with loss but this was continuous and I had no problems flying around, seeing the other guy move, or picking up powerups. This might be related to bug #9 or bug #2.

<FONT color=#00FF00">92. Name: Omega Shield Bug</FONT> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Shields don't light up when taking damage.

Trigger: Use Omega on someone.

Notes: This has already been fixed in 1.5. I just added it to let people know it was a problem in 1.4 and it's fixed in 1.5.

<FONT color=#00FF00">93. Name: P2P Omega Framerate Bug</FONT> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Major Framerate slowdown and/or freeze.

Trigger: As the host of a peer to peer game, fire omega on someone.

Notes: The framerate slowdown only applies to the host, and it only happens when he's using the omega on someone. It doesn't happen when he's firing at nothing. It's worse in the Black Pyro because of the triple stream. The framerate problem in the host causes the omega damage packets to be erratic so the damage comes in bursts to the guy it is being used on. A possible side effect may be that it results in bug #102 to happen more frequently.

<FONT color=#00FF00">94. Name: P2P Omega Through Wall Bug</FONT> <FONT color="FF8000">NOT A BUG</FONT>

Problem: Player doesn't take damage when they should.

Trigger: As a client in a peer to peer game, have someone shoot omega at you through a thin wall or glass.

Notes: Ordinarily, Omega is supposed to go through walls and hit the guy on the other side. This doesn't work in peer to peer except on the host. <FONT color="FF8000">It turns out it does work afterall.</FONT>

<FONT color=#00FF00">95. Name: P2P Omega Leech Bug</FONT> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Player doesn't gain shields from using Omega on someone.

Trigger: A client in a P2P game usding Omega.

Notes: Ordinarily the Omega Cannon should leech shields off of your opponent.

<FONT color=#00FF00">96. Name: P2P Omega Lava/Acid Bug</FONT> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Player doesn't take damage from hitting Acid or Lava.

Trigger: Being a client in a P2P game.

Notes: It will damage the host but not the client.

<FONT color=#00FF00">97. Name: P2P Ping Problem</FONT> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Host doesn't see ping to other players.

Trigger: P2P game

Notes: In a peer to peer game pings are relative. Clients in a peer to peer game can see their ping to the other players and the hosts should be able to as well.

<FONT color=#00FF00">98. Name: Reticle/Anti-Grav Bug</FONT>

Problem: Reticle Displays the Anti-Grav Message.

Trigger: Having more than 6 gunpoints on your ship.

<FONT color=#00FF00">99. Name: Custom Weapon Crash Bug</FONT>

Problem: Crash

Trigger: Custom Weapons.

Notes: Nirvana says, "I have made a few custom weapons and have found serious limitations on what you can do before you get a crash."

<FONT color=#00FF00">100. Name: Ship Animation Problem</FONT>

Problem: Ships can't have animations.

Notes: This could be a bug or it could be intentional. But if it is intentional, why does the entry in the table file under the firing info contain an animation frame section? Nirvana has been able to do a $rotate animation on a ship but nothing else works.

<FONT color=#00FF00">101. Name: Missing Player Stats Bug</FONT>

Problem: Player Stats disappear or don't get recorded.

Trigger: More than a certain number of different pilots (possibly 63) have been in a server at one time or another.

Notes: Any new players that come into the game are dropped from the list once they leave. It seems as if the maximum number of slots are taken up. When people leave and new players join, the slots of the people who left are dropped from the server. So you won't have the individual stats vs other pilots in the f7 list. I think it affects the stats file too.

<FONT color=#00FF00">102. Name: Buffer Overrun Bug</FONT> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Disconnection from server with the message "Reliable Buffer Overrun"

Trigger: Having the Omega Cannon used on you combined with lag.

Notes: We were able to reproduce this in peer to peer but not in client/server. We upped the pings to over twice what they were in the peer to peer game nad we still didn't get anything. We were able to boot clients being zapped by the host or clients being zapped by other clients. It could be worse when a Black Pyro is the one using the Omega because of the triple stream. Could be related to bug #93 and/or bug #41 in that the framerate slowdowns/freezes can cause lag in the packets being sent out.

<FONT color=#00FF00">103. Name: P2P Ping/Loss Indicator Problem</FONT> <FONT color="#FFFF00">FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Can't disable the ping/loss indicator in Peer to Peer.

Notes: You can disable it in all of the other server modes. People might want to disable it to see their framerate indicator which is blocked by it. Also there's no point in having the ping part of the indicator in peer to peer. Pings are all relative to the different people.

<FONT color=#00FF00">104. Name: Gunboy Bug</FONT> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: Gunboy can shoot but not turn.

Trigger: Make it turn a lot until it stops.

Notes: If you keep getting behind a Gunboy, it'll eventually get stuck. I don't know what causes it. You can get it unstuck by banging it.

<FONT color=#00FF00">105. Name: Energy->Shield Converter Bug</FONT>

Problem: Energy Shield Converter doesn't give shields but still drains energy.

Trigger: As a client, you haven't taken any damage that puts you below 100 since you spawned.

Notes: If you run into a wall or your shields are brought down below 100 in anyway, the converter will start working and bring your shields up to 200 if you have enough energy. If you pick up more shield orbs before you go below 100, and then take damage that doesn't put you below 100, it still won't work. You have to go below 100 before it'll start working. I tested this briefly in Face off (#300 Baud Entropy Level #1). I tested it in C/S and the bug doesn't seem to affect the server, but only clients. Using energy, afterburning, and shooting weapons doesn't seem to affect the bug so long as you don't dip below 100 while doing it.

<FONT color=#00FF00">106. F7 Bug</FONT> <FONT color="#FF0000">NOT FIXED</FONT>

Problem: F7 menu is shifted down so you can't see all the people in the game.

Trigger: Happens sometimes when a player joins.

Notes: It seems to happen in team games a lot. Maybe people just notice it in team games because it makes the teams look uneven. But when a player joins and the game decides he should go at the top of the F7 list, he appears above the list so you have to scroll up using the page up key in order to see him. I think f7 usually orders by kills so it probably only happens when a game is starting up and everyone has the same score so people who are joining won't automatically get put below the people who are in there. It only affects the red team because they're at the top of the list.

<FONT color="#0000FF">107. Name: Mac Hyper Anarchy Bug</font>

Problem: Mac players can't join Hyper Anarchy games.

Notes: If Mac players try to join a Hyper Anarchy game they get "Error Initializing Game Module". If they try to start one, it loads up normal Anarchy.

<FONT color="#0000FF">108. Name: Mac Robo-Anarchy Bug</font>

Problem: Mac players can't join Robo-Anarchy games.

Notes: If Mac players try to join a Robo-Anarchy game they get "Error Initializing Game Module" If they try to start one, it says the mission is incompatible with the selected multiplayer mode.

<FONT color="#0000FF">109. Name: Mac Taurus Bug</font>

Problem: The level, Taurus (Fury 5) hangs in the middle of loading.

Notes: This problem was introduced in 1.4 and only affects Macs. It will finish loading the level if you wait a few minutes but often it has timed out by then.

<FONT color="#0000FF">110. Name: Mac Acceleration Problem</font>

Problem: Controls don't respond as quickly as they should.

Trigger: Having a non-combined axis on the mouse, controller, or joystick.

Notes: Nagromme says, "My guess is that perhaps the key ramping setting is supposed to affect controller buttons as well. But instead, controller buttons (which are the most common control affected by this bug) seem to always ramp at less than the top speed. This has been tested with a PC and Mac side by side for verification. This problem is especially common because it can affect any aspect of control--even one that supports a combined axis--when the player does not realize that they should explicitly specify a combined axis in Sprockets. So even though a hatswitch can theoretically be immune from the slowdown, many people have it configured to Up/Down/Left/Right separately, unaware that it makes a difference."

<FONT color="#0000FF">111. Name: Mac Pilot Info Problem</font>

Problem: The "Get Pilot Info" button in PXO doesn't do anything.

Notes: A button that does nothing shouldn't be their.

<FONT color="#0000FF">112. Name: Mac Mouselook Bug</font>

Problem: Players can use Mouselook even on a server that has it banned.

<FONT color="#0000FF">113. Name: Mac Turning Bug</font>

Problem: Mac players can turn twice as fast.

Trigger: Pressing a turn key on the keyboard and turning with the joystick as well.

Notes: I don't know if this affects other motions or if it can happen when you have bound 2 turn keys on the keyboard (like the old afterburner bug).

<FONT color="#0000FF">114. Name: Mac Turning Bug</font>

Problem: Mac players can turn twice as fast.

Trigger: Pressing a turn key on the keyboard and turning with the joystick as well.

Notes: I don't know if this affects other motions or if it can happen when you have bound 2 turn keys on the keyboard (like the old afterburner bug).

<FONT color="#0000FF">115. Name: Mac OS 8.5.1 Bug</font>

Problem: Mac players with Mac OS version 8.5.1 or lower can't run D3.

Notes: This bug was introduced in version 1.4. The error message they get is "InterfaceLib­Uptime could not be located."

<FONT color="#0000FF">116. Name: Mac Command Line Problem</font>

Problem: Mac players don't have a D3 Launcher or a Command Line.

Notes: They can't run dedicated servers or adjust the framecap among other things.

<FONT color="#0000FF">117. Name: Mac DALLAS Problem</font>

Problem: Mac's can't run DALLAS Scripts.

Notes: Mac's can't host games with levels that contain DALLAS scripts although they can join them which lets the host handle the scripts.

<FONT color="#0000FF">118. Name: Mac Level Auto-Downloading Problem</font>

Problem: Level Auto-Downloading doesn't work on Macs.

<FONT color="#0000FF">119. Name: Mac MOD Problems</font>

Problem: Many MODs can't be ported to the Mac.

Notes: Nagromme says "Probably the most important of all--there needs to be some way to port mods from PC to Mac. There are some amazing mods for D3, adding infinitely to the value of the game and providing entirely new types of game play. Frag Tag, Duel, Olympia Gold, Team Hoard and Inferno come to mind. Apple Corps has several programmers (I have CCed some) who have spent many hours working with D3 and user-built add-ons, and I amazed how much they have achieved working blind. On the PC side, many mod and add-on authors have approached me wanting their work to be Mac compatible. So there are plenty of people with the time and the will to port things to Mac, if only we had the capability. People have asked for a Mac SDK, but I doubt we'll ever get that--and although I don't do much programming of this type, I am hoping we don't even need it. We already have access to PCs and the PC SDK, and we have D3 for both platforms (and Linux). So if we could obt
NoCat
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NoCat »

Not much..

------------------
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I would still argue with Garner than the low custom texture/low custom object values are bugs in a way. Image You also forgot the Level 13 bug where one of the Guidebot objectives is never Completed. From Moon's Descendarium:

"Dan McMillan from Outrage said this on the DBB: The Aft Matcen continues to maintain it's Stormtrooper count until it is disabled. The Level level may be finished with 3% of the Stormtroopers still alive!. I finished the level with 3 remaining. Dan also promised me via mail to look into another strange bug on this level: when you disable the engine core it says "*tertiary* objective completed" and you end up the level with this objective still incomplete. Well, I'm *still* waiting on Dan's answer..."

For Bug 7 (List Bug), it was said to happen if you sort the lists at the exact moment PXO updates the listing on the screen with newly downloaded information.

For Bug 12 (Mac Texture Problem), I was told that this was not a bug in the game itself, rather a bug in the way the level designer implements the tablefile.

For Bug 33 (Subway Co-op Crash), this does not always happen.

For Bug 37 (Level 13 Completion Bug), this is directly linked to how long you keep the Aft Matcen active before deactivating it.

------------------
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

I also posted the same thing:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">
From (DE)Hunter:

Not really a bug, but close to it:
Crashed D3 dedicated servers (running under Windows) should die quietly without showing any popup messages. Server tools like mine can't handle those crashes because Windows says thoses processes are still active. The provided information about the crash reason could be simply written to a log file instead. Or the popup window must close automatically after some time.
(DE)Hunter
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not really a bug, but I talked to a programmer at Outrage who's not involved with the patch (not releasing name w/o their permission), and they agreed that it should be changed.

Thanks!

------------------
http://www.descent-rangers.com/
Stormcrow
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Stormcrow »

Nice list, I'll look at it in full later. I did notice a problem right off the bat though. Bug number 2, referred to as the 'Vauss Bug' is more of a feature than an actual bug.

To keep the number of packets being sent at a minimum, a packet is sent for these weapons once when they are activated (telling other people the gun is firing) and once when they are deactivated. Can you imagine how many packets would have to be sent if the game computed tracked where EVERY single bullet went from the Vausss gun?

Unfortunately, the packet being sent one time to tell the other players in the game someone is firing one of these weapons is dropped (hey, it happens). When that occurs, those that dropped the packet have no way of knowing your ship is actually firing, and no damage results.

This will probably not be changed. People have mentioned it (I'm sure) with previous requests for help with earlier patches, and this is the explanation I've seen posted numerous times by other people (it must have originated from Outrage).

I hope this explanation helps you and anyone else that has been a victim of this particular 'feature'. Image

Bug 14: Half Energy Consumption for BP's Microwave is also not a bug. Unfortunately, that's a feature, and it comes down to play balancing. Don't expect any change there.

------------------
"Share the knowledge, compete in execution!"
Wildcards Empire
Tao of Descent
Solo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Solo »

Just want to correct your list abit. I also want to say nice job on it man.

Bug #7 - PXO List

The cause of this bug is to sort the game list more than once before it has completely finished loading all of the games on the list.

To reproduce it, goto the game list and as soon as you can see the list hit sort by ping 3 times, one right after another. That will cuz it to crash. Now if you wait till the whole game list loads before doing this it will not crash.

------------------
That's it for me, I'm outtie!
-Solo- (aka, [CGE]Solo)
http://cg.web-page.net
[RS]max
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [RS]max »

You forgot about the problem with my video card. Image I have a NVidia Riva 128ZX with the latest drivers (yeah it's old but I have no money Image) and It doesn't like the omega cannon. D3 runs fine until the omega is fired. Then the screen freezes up until the omega is turned off. This happens in D3D and in OGL. Also fog and power up halos have a similar effect when they are turned on in D3D, but they work fine in OGL. In the D3 demo1 the fog and power up halos worked fine under D3D. I don't care much about those special effects because they can be turned off. If they could fix the omega problem, or even add an option to make omega invisible so you can only see the sparkles it made, I would be very happy.

------------------
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

To elaborate on what I said before -

There was a mass hallucination when Skyrat released Skybox that custom textures would not work on the Macintosh. This is absolutely false! The truth is, he improperly set up the table files used in Skybox. Let's set the record straight - when the level designer does it as he/she is supposed to, you can get custom textures on the Mac.

------------------
Bigman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bigman »

Nice list you compiled. Please add that the pilots texture on the black pyro is backwards on one side.

------------------
Bigman
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Thanks for your feedback guys. Stormcrow, it is a bug. I wasn't clear enough though so I've updated it a bit. =)

------------------
-Suncho
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Thanks for adding the dedicated server crash / window problem Suncho! Much appreciated! Image

------------------
http://www.descent-rangers.com/
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

i think the recticle bug is confined to nvidia cards, my radeon dosent have the proble, in opengl or d3d.

------------------
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Thanks for the input. I'd love it if people would look over the singleplayer/co-op bugs in particular because I have next to no experience in either of those areas.

------------------
-Suncho
pATChes11
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by pATChes11 »

"Unfortunately, the packet being sent one time to tell the other players in the game someone is firing one of these weapons is dropped (hey, it happens). When that occurs, those that dropped the packet have no way of knowing your ship is actually firing, and no damage results." Actually, if it indeed only sent one packet, it would be reliable for this reason, but because those take 3x the time to actually be confirmed (plus resending time) and put to use, the computer firing just sends "on" packets every half a second or so, and sends an "off" packet, and naturally discontinues the stream of "on" packets, so that the state of the weapon is always accurate to within the shooter's ping plus the interval, unless the loss is REALLY heavy.

AFAIK the reticle bugs does happen on some other cards... although it seems to be much more prone to occur on nVidia cards. I looked into the D1X source and saw stuff about the nVidia OGL server not returning certain infos on the resolution of things (depth buffer, stencil buffer, etc.)... I think this sort of thing may be the culprit. These assumptions don't appear to ever be called on the Detonator3 12.xx drivers, so it might be safe to remove/correct them, or only use them when a certain driver version is used (probably a better idea). I dunno for sure.

"15. Name: Shift Bug

Problem: Game acts as if shift key is being held down in some areas and in other areas stuff just doesn't work.

Trigger: It seems to happen after using the shift key but not 100% of the time.

Notes: In F8 if you're typing a message and you use shift for caps it can get stuck and enter won't work. The only way to get out of it is to keep tying until it automatically rolls over. The Shift problem can also prevent spacebar from working when trying to respawn. Fix by pressing Shift+f9 twice. It brings the log up and then back down."

And this is also a problem with multiplayer MODs. Theoretically, this is an issue in the DMFC source because it only happens in code when I use a DMFC callback, but when I do it in DLLGameCall (the procedure called to handle events... most are just passed to DMFC), it works just fine. Because it's a DMFC problem, it should only occur in multiplayer in MODs that use it (hehe that'd be all of them thus far Image). The shift bug also has an adverse effect on selecting weapons with the numbers on the keyboard. And the shift key also does not register when you hold it down, push one key, and then push another w/o letting go of shift. I would know this because I wrote an experimental MOD that allows the use of three cameras, and I initially put my code into OnKeypress in the Anarchy source, and then analyzed this problem and found out that it wasn't my fault. The problem is clearly in DMFC, not D3. I wonder of Outrage would be willing to open-source DMFC so that we can fix most of the multiplayer bugs we experience (like the countermeasure thing, and the shift bug), and do some of our own stuff to it.

------------------
-pATCheS

My house is protected by secret service agents four days a week. Guess which four.
Stormcrow
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Stormcrow »

Another bug to add Suncho (at least I think so, I didn't notice when I scanned the list again). I solicited help from a.g.d and Gary, a frequent poster there, had this to say about a bug with Linux/Windows:

Linux people currently can't play on windows servers, and windows
people can't play on linux servers. About 50% of the time [IIRC]

This is a recognised bug by both matt@outrage.com, and [when he was there] icculus@lokigames.

Icculus has already fixed this. It's due to a "level checksum bug", which is due to a slight different in sqrt functions on linux and windows.

For the linux one, someone just has to change one line in a makefile. The windows one needs a bit of work.

Thing is, until this gets fixed, I don't play online because I don't have the time to connect, find out it won't work, connect to another one, find out it won't work... It also happens with some of my favorite levels [Mysterious Isle...]

Gary (-;

This sounds a little bit different than the other bugs dealing with Linux that I saw. Since Matt supposedly already knows of this, I don't know if it's necessary to be included or not, but we may as well make the list as complete as possible Image. I also received a letter from (DE)Hunter about a different problem, but I see it's already listed.

I'll forward more as I get them.

------------------
Wildcards Empire
Tao of Descent
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Just so we're clear on the concept, a bug is something the designers didn't intend. The BP seems pretty deliberate to me.

------------------
www.descentants.com/D3TL.html
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

lol at bash...

the ablilty to select 32 bit and have it stay on 32 bit color would be nice to have fixed. it is a kinda annoying bug to have to set it every time you start a level....

------------------
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Ok I've added another update.

Bash, don't patronize me. I know what a bug is. I got the impression from the other thread that the Black Pyro energy was not deliberate. Thanks for clearing this up.

Stormcrow, the linux bug sounds like it's part of the same checksum problem so I just added some information to that one.

I'd also like to point out that a lot of these bugs, especially the singleplayer/co-op ones, I haven't tested/verified. Maybe I should, but honestly, singleplayer/co-op is so boring that I wouldn't even wanna test it. ;)

Anyway I'm just putting 'em up as I get 'em.

------------------
-Suncho
[MS]Testiculese
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by [MS]Testiculese »

#6. Name: Tablefile Hack

Outrage should NOT disallow external gam files altogether. What Outrage should do to stop cheaters in D3 is to do a more comprehensive check of the vulnerable values within this file. Outrage already checks some ofthe more important values, they just need to expand their search. They probably already know what values should not be modifiable on the client, but I will prepare a full list when necessary.

Contrary to your personal opinion, most people would not declare something as simple as changing the color of your lasers as a cheat. I don't know a single person who would classify excessive Napalm Rocket trails as a cheat. Or randomizing which side of the ship the Micro comes out next. If Sparks fly when the MD strikes the wall(or a player), so what?

If I wish to overload my screen and destroy my framerate with personalize my view, then I should be able to do so. If I'm stuck with those boring, ugly yellow superlasers, or the cheap, wimpy sound they make when fired, or to be reverted back to the dull trails of Mega or Napalm, then I don't have much incentive to play this game. I love the way my set looks when I play, and so does everyone who's ever seen it. Others say they don't like it 'cause they can't see anything. So where's the 'it's cheating' come from? Also don't forget all the people who have mod's for single player and co-op.

------------------
If you put your supper dish to your ear you can hear the sounds of a restaurant.
<FONT SIZE="3" FACE="Arial" color="#FFFFFF">[MS]Testiculese
<FONT SIZE="3" FACE="Arial" color="#FFFF00">Major, Midnight Squadron Descent III Division<FONT SIZE="3" FACE="Arial" color="#33CCFF"> (Link)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I'll give an example. With your graphics set the way they are, frags linger longer. You could come around a corner and see a lingering frag where you ordinarily wouldn't have been able to. This clues you into the fact that the other guy is firing at a point near where you are. Hence you have a slight advantage. If you hack the tablefile in anyway, it could have unforseen side effects. Modifying weapons is much like skinning a ship. White super lasers are easier to see. Brighter stuff in general is easier to dodge. The fact that someone even has this opinion (me) about hacking table files should be enough to convince anyone that this needs to be fixed.

------------------
-Suncho
Starken
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Starken »

I gotta go with Testi on this one.

Just lock down the important stuff. The minor stuff can be fun to play with, and it can be undone fairly easily for games where it would matter (i.e. ladders).

As for the rest of the list....I can live with small bugs. Fix the crashes, and the platform compatibility issues and I'll be happy.

-Starken
Daguer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Daguer »

"Easier to see" don't go with this arguments, all laser is easy too see, What about if you want to add a ship with custom weapons? (for example, you want to add the GX, just him, you modifie the table gam, add the ship, change the laser and super laser to level 1 and 6) go play, the other people don't have this ship, but since you are the server, they can join! if the "anti-cheating" is put on the 1.5 no one can't play with their custom arangement, people "cheat"? don'T join the server!
or maybe the BEST thing is on multiplayer option, add a option who: allow custom gam file, so, when for example me, want to play with my ship (I just play coop anyway Image) I will are happy, and the other who just play for fragging, disable the option na!
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

"Randomizing which side of the ship Microwave comes out of" is something I DO consider VERY cheap. It's the same as randomizing which side the next frag, conc, cyclone, etc. comes out of. You should not have that option at all. Nobody should.

------------------
DCrazy
Lead Programmer,
Xtremebuilder - Olympia Gold 3 Team
[MS]Testiculese
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by [MS]Testiculese »

How is that cheap? You fire it comes out left-left-right-left-right-right-right...same number of shots-per-second, and only from my ship. I only typed that above because I saw that flag, and was gonna try it out. I tried it in single player today and it's a pain in the ass, so I unchecked it.

BTW, please explain how randomizing which side of my ship a frag comes out of is cheap, I'd love to hear it Image

------------------
If you put your supper dish to your ear you can hear the sounds of a restaurant.
<FONT SIZE="3" FACE="Arial" color="#FFFFFF">[MS]Testiculese
<FONT SIZE="3" FACE="Arial" color="#FFFF00">Major, Midnight Squadron Descent III Division<FONT SIZE="3" FACE="Arial" color="#33CCFF"> (Link)
Tank
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Tank »

In demo playback you forgot to mention that levels w/ custom textures don't show up properly. This is again a problem w/ d3 loading the tablefile w/ the custom textures.

------------------
pATChes11
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by pATChes11 »

Testi - if you're doing what I think it you're doing (using the random firing order flag in the tablefile), it won't be that way on the server, guaraunteed. It'll be left-right-left-right, as it normally would be. Thanks Outrage for such great anti-cheat code... I'd just as soon take it out because of the extra lag it adds... 400ms in battle is bad bad bad, and that's what you could call the "mothing" speed, making the game like dodging Fusion, except you can't see it. You can imagine how hard it must be, can't you? Oh, don't forget to factor in the loss of my precious missile packets that often don't get sent (I hate it when I lose a rocket or mortar that way!!! Image)... oog!

What the hell was I supposed to be talking about??? Image

Oh, and about bug 53... the 32 bit mode doesn't even appear to get set, or if it does, dithering is still on, and it makes it look more like .008 bit... dithering should only be enabled on 3Dfx cards and in 16 bit color modes... but in 32 bit, it isn't acceptable at all and makes it look like ****!

------------------
-pATCheS

My house is protected by secret service agents four days a week. Guess which four.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Yeah Merlin. That's the one I e-mailed Outrage about. I know how to reproduce it but I'd rather not post that here. =)

------------------
-Suncho
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I've added another update with some of Moon's bugs from the other thread and the fusion bug (now that everyone knows about it).

------------------
-Suncho
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

What about the custom object limit? Is that officially a wish item, because it sure bugs me.

I'm sure that the limit being so small after installing Merc. Was an unintended side affect.

There is a fine line between a "bug" and a serious annoyance...

So if we can include at least a very small "wish" list I'd like to have this issue dealt with, as I believe many others do too. (Ask the guys at Olympia gold as well as other replies in the original thread).

Thank You

------------------
<FONT SIZE="3" FACE="Arial" color="#FF0000">Your Friendly neighborhood Spiderman<FONT SIZE="3" FACE="Arial" color="#33CCFF">
Stormcrow
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Stormcrow »

Observer Bug?

I know that this is more of a feature than anything, but it's so easy to adjust. I think it's warranted enough to at least ask Outrage to consider:

Situation: PilotX shoots PilotY with Fusion. PilotY takes 40 Damage to his/her shields. PilotY immediately jumps to observer mode. When PilotY comes back, he/she spawns with full shields.

Suggested Fixes: Increase the minimum shield value for pilots wishing to exit to Observer Mode (must have shields at 80 strength would probably be acceptable, 90+ would be perfect). Force pilots to respawn with same shield strength as when they left (ideal, but probably the hardest to code). Leave it where it is, but give credit for a kill to PilotX for basically chasing a person into Observer mode (controversal solution, but one that would work as well).

I know it's basically a feature. But it's one that promotes cheating, and for that reason alone it deserves re-examination by Outrage while working on these other issues. We've discussed it before, mostly (if memory servers) in the Ethics forum. It'd be really nice to have a fix for it.

------------------
Wildcards Empire
Tao of Descent
Flak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Flak »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Stormcrow:
<B>Observer Bug?

I know that this is more of a feature than anything, but it's so easy to adjust. I think it's warranted enough to at least ask Outrage to consider:

Situation: PilotX shoots PilotY with Fusion. PilotY takes 40 Damage to his/her shields. PilotY immediately jumps to observer mode. When PilotY comes back, he/she spawns with full shields.

Suggested Fixes: Increase the minimum shield value for pilots wishing to exit to Observer Mode (must have shields at 80 strength would probably be acceptable, 90+ would be perfect). Force pilots to respawn with same shield strength as when they left (ideal, but probably the hardest to code). Leave it where it is, but give credit for a kill to PilotX for basically chasing a person into Observer mode (controversal solution, but one that would work as well).

I know it's basically a feature. But it's one that promotes cheating, and for that reason alone it deserves re-examination by Outrage while working on these other issues. We've discussed it before, mostly (if memory servers) in the Ethics forum. It'd be really nice to have a fix for it.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm curious about this one. Right now, I can only go into observer if I have 100 shields. How do you go into observer with less than 100 shields? Another thing about that I will list in my own suggestions for the list of bugs.

------------------
1.55, 1.55, 1.55, 1.55, 1.55, 1.55, 1.55, 1.55, 1.55 ... Sorry! I was fixating.