Mouse/KB time for a change?

Forum for the new 6dof game in development by the original makers of Descent.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Mouse/KB time for a change?

Post by ReadyMan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:48 pm

I've been a joystick user for Descent since the initial D1 release (during the demo it was all kb only...but the sore wrists was too painful to continue with).
Been with the 3dpro since just after the $50k tournament.

I'm wondering if it's time to switch to KB/Mouse...?
I know Overload is a long way off from fine tuning the joystick configuration (now it turns slower than the mouse), but just thought I'd get other opinions.

Is the KB/Mouse superior?
Fighting villains is what I do!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Mouse/KB time for a change?

Post by Duper » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:38 pm

I think that's subjective.
Overload plays well with M&K, but personally I'd like to use a stick. Right now, the demo doesn't like my stick (Saitek X52) so I'm using a M&K.
In the demo, the ship plays a bit more like mouse look than the lilting turn of the pyro of D1 and D2.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:51 pm

More power to you if you're thinking of switching to mouse, Readyman. I've heard good things about accuracy improvements over stick use. Personally I just can't get around having to delegate so much to my keyboard hand.

If you're willing to get a little more use out of your 3D Pro, I just posted a work-around over on the OVERLOAD forums for the hatch switch sliding issue effecting the MS 3D Pro, and I'm thinking I may be able to tackle joystick sensitivity adjustments by using the same application to actually map the stick to mouse movement with an adjustable speed multiplier variable to control sensitivity.
Ferno
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner

Post by Ferno » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:08 am

I'm still a holdout -- I don't think I'll ever give up the venerable 3dpro.

Overload just feels bang-on with the stick, even though at light pressure the ship rotates a lot slower than the pyro, and it feels like it has a lot of expo dialed into it.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:51 pm

I've always been a Mouse/KB user, but I relegated all functions on the keyboard to the NUMPad, for ease of use. All but transfer energy and headlight are on the NUMpad and in Overload, I actually use the Up arrow as my headlights. I can post my controls if anyone is interested ;)
6DoF mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Sonic/Samus/Kirby main in Super Smash Bros 4, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:56 am

I agree: "Better" is subjective. For fine aiming, it can be more efficient. I've always found that the trade off isn't worth it. I've stuck with a 3D Pro + N52.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:47 am

at the top end, there are pilots on kb+mouse and pilots on joystick. Some use old MS 3D Pros, some use the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (main downside: it has a very stiff spring), and I've just switched to the Thrustmaster T16000M (main downside: had to modify the hat switch so my thumb doesn't slide off.)
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:19 am

When Overload came out, I played with the mouse because my stick didn't work. I sucked badly. I couldn't bank or move on many axis at once. Now that my 3D Pro works, I can fly so much better and faster.
Beta tested:
Game Stock Car 2012, Diablo 3, Descent 3 1.5 Patch, C&C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2, Settlers IV,Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command, MAX 2, Defiance
ASUS Z170-P, Core I7-6700K, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler, Gigabyte GF GTX970 OC 4GB GDDR5,Crucial 16GB 2133MHz DDR4, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD, WD Black 1 TB, ASUS DVD Burner, ASUS 27" Monitor, Fractal Design R5 Mid-Tower Case, Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 750 Watt, Win 10 64Bit
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Same here. I had to use the mouse to get Overload working.
I found that I had MUCH greater accuracy with the mouse.
My flying with the 3dpro is much better, so I'm far more defensive, but the accuracy isnt there.
Thus my dilemma. I'm so used to the 3dpro/kb, but seem to be MUCH better with the mouse.
Dont want to be too hasty though, since much optimization has to be done to the JS configurations in Overload.
Fighting villains is what I do!
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Play around with your sensitivities. I've found that if I can't hit a thing, I need only play around with those and it dials in pretty well.