Geocore/Core Decision

For all coding issues - MODers and programmers, HTML and more.

Moderators: Jeff250, fliptw

psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Geocore/Core Decision

Post by psionik »

Does anyone here think they can work with this? We have working single player movement but we need to have it work with the netcode. It's C#, I am not a programmer, and anyone that wants to try to help with this project is needed. I have the models, sounds, textures, plans, etc. I am a dedicated skilled artist. All we need is a dedicated skilled programmer to fix the network portion and attach some weapons and the Geocore multiplayer beta would be real.

Here is a bit:

//Core Decision Player

#region Using directives
using System;
using ScriptingSystem;
using System.ComponentModel;
#endregion

[Browsable(true)]
public class CoreDecisionPlayer : MActor
{
/// -----------------------------------------------
/// PRECACHING & STATIC DATA VALUES
public static string ClassName = \"CoreDecisionPlayer\";
private static bool HasCached = false;
public static void Precache() { HasCached = MPrecacher.Precache(ClassName, HasCached); }
///
static private MModel StaticModel = MPrecacher.PrecacheModel(ClassName, \"hellfire.xml\");
///

private float m_WalkSpeed = 25.0f;
[Description(\"The speed at which the CoreDecisionPlayer walks, in meters per second.\")]
public float WalkSpeed
{
get { return m_WalkSpeed; }
set { m_WalkSpeed = value; }
}

private float TransDrag = 4f; // Translational Drag Coefficient (to be multiplied with a translational velocity axis value)
private float TransAccel = 160f; // Translational Acceleration
private float RotDrag = 4f; // Rotational Drag Coefficient (to be multiplied a rotational velocity axis value)
private float RotAccel = 320f; // why doesn't this work as a public property?
// [Description(\"The max rate at which the speed of CoreDecisionPlayer increases (per axis), in degrees per second per second.\")]
// public float RotAccel
// {
// get { return m_RotAccel; }
// set { m_RotAccel = value; }
// }

private float RotVel = 120f; // why doesn't this work as a public property?
// [Description(\"The max speed at which the CoreDecisionPlayer turns (per axis), in degrees per second.\")]
// public float RotVel
// {
// get { return m_RotVel; }
// set { m_RotVel = value; }
// }
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

I (FYI: Diedel) could probably help you ... :roll:
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Sorry, I only know some C++....
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

grok the descent source?

the basics is you need to update the position of the player from the client to the server and back
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I'm going to sound like a complete @$$ here, but isn't C# an unusual choice of language for a fast-paced action game? I can understand the cross-platform benefits of it, but it is really optimal for this situation?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I could see the point if you want to develop it faster. It's unusual, though, yes.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

C# is what is utilized by the original engine we were working with and that code bit is from that engine. I figured that someone would know how to work with it more likely than the one I am currently trying to develop on which uses torquescript. I am just trying to get the codework for flight and shooting in place and I don't care which engine it's on right now as the art translates between both. I do not care who it is that helps, I don't have any grudges against anyone that is willing to help. Send me a PM and we can discuss possibilities.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

d3jake wrote:Sorry, I only know some C++....
That is even more valuable since we have the source but it's going to take a hardcore dedicated person to sort this engine out, we have no documentation on it but it is a well used engine and as such information IS available, I am just not sure where. Schools teach classes using it and I know there are resources out there for it, I am just not the one for the job of hunting it all out because I am a designer not a programmer. I wouldn't even know what to look for.

The other option is to use Torquescript which of course noone knows because it's proprietary. TGEA is a very nice engine for 300$ though and well capable of handling this game.

I am at this point open to anything that will move the project forward including developing on a totally different engine with plans to license and release on that engine, not as a mod.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

With regard to the specific problem above, you seem to be trying to return an undefined value.

Prior to the public declaration of WalkSpeed, you privately assign a value to m_WalkSpeed, so it is defined. When you declare the \"get\" line you return a defined value, so the WalkSpeed declaration is acceptable.

Prior to the public declaration of RotAccel, you privately assign a value to RotAccel (note, no \"m_\" prefix), not m_RotAccel. When you declare the \"get\" line you return m_RotAccel, which you have not yet defined, so the public RotAccel declaration is not acceptable (nor would you want it to be).

The same problem occurs in the public declaration of RotVel. Prior to the public declaration of RotVel, you privately assign a value to RotVel, not m_RotVel, so m_RotVel is undefined when you reference it in the \"get\" line, and this is not acceptable.

By the way, I don't know boo about C#, but after more than 25 years of programming, that sort of thing jumps out at you.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

akula65 wrote:With regard to the specific problem above, you seem to be trying to return an undefined value.

Prior to the public declaration of WalkSpeed, you privately assign a value to m_WalkSpeed, so it is defined. When you declare the "get" line you return a defined value, so the WalkSpeed declaration is acceptable.

Prior to the public declaration of RotAccel, you privately assign a value to RotAccel (note, no "m_" prefix), not m_RotAccel. When you declare the "get" line you return m_RotAccel, which you have not yet defined, so the public RotAccel declaration is not acceptable (nor would you want it to be).

The same problem occurs in the public declaration of RotVel. Prior to the public declaration of RotVel, you privately assign a value to RotVel, not m_RotVel, so m_RotVel is undefined when you reference it in the "get" line, and this is not acceptable.

By the way, I don't know boo about C#, but after more than 25 years of programming, that sort of thing jumps out at you.
I wish I could take advantage of that input but it will take me a couple minutes of studying your words to even understand what you said. Code related things enter my brain like a square peg thru a round hole.

Edit - I have comprehended what you said.