Mac OSX Darwin on my PC .

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Mac OSX Darwin on my PC .

Post by Immortal Lobster »

Hey, I got a question, im more intriqued then anything else, but a friend of mine gave me a copy of Mac OSX Darwin to try on my PC, so I popped the disc in, and it loads the apple loader screen, its an ugly grey with a picture of an apple, and a spinning wheel like thing. now thats all fine and dandy, except it does that for about 2 hours. my IDE light is constantly active, and my temperatures go up when Its oing whatever its doing, after about 2 hours of that, i just reset it. but has anyone got any ideas as to why it wont load? or what its doing. a fellow member at TCO has the same CPU I have, albeit his is OCed higher then mine, i think hes nuts imo, but he has MacOS installed and running, and I havnt been able to get a hold of him, so does anyone here have a clue, a thought provoker of any kind?
Thanks
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Darwin is techincally not equivilant to OSX.

if its an OSX disc from apple, well, your are pretty much SOL. There are hacks you need to apply in order to get OSX to work on non-apple hardware, but Apple has already issued an update to fix even that.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

no, its not from apple, its from an ISO he downloaded lol, the instructions with the DL were simply to reboot with the disc in the drive, and of course follow the instructions. welp, it doesnt wanna give me instructions lol
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

darwin is BSD based, so driver support is probably iffy

http://www.opensource.apple.com/project ... lease.html
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

BSD doesn't mean iffy driver support, at least not in my experience... I ran FreeBSD 5.1 exclusively for six months.
Peter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Mac OSX Darwin on my PC .

Post by Peter »

Immortal Lobster wrote:Hey, I got a question, im more intriqued then anything else, but a friend of mine gave me a copy of Mac OSX Darwin to try on my PC, so I popped the disc in, and it loads the apple loader screen, its an ugly grey with a picture of an apple, and a spinning wheel like thing. now thats all fine and dandy, except it does that for about 2 hours. my IDE light is constantly active, and my temperatures go up when Its oing whatever its doing, after about 2 hours of that, i just reset it. but has anyone got any ideas as to why it wont load? or what its doing. a fellow member at TCO has the same CPU I have, albeit his is OCed higher then mine, i think hes nuts imo, but he has MacOS installed and running, and I havnt been able to get a hold of him, so does anyone here have a clue, a thought provoker of any kind?
Thanks
Yeah, you need hacks. And even then it is hard to get around. Let alone, you can't run the latest version anyway. I think the latest version that was cracked was 10.4.3.

Ugly grey screen huh? The screen of Windows is pretty ugly too when it is doing the preliminary OS loading.
halprin
Another one bites the dust!
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I got it loaded, it just took a while, and a little threatening and name calling lol. and it works, i just need to aquire and figure out how to install drivers lol, but I gotta say, I musch prefer windows, and ive come to the conclusion, Mac is definetly not idiot proof, ive never asked myself \"whaaaaaaa?\" so many times in one install.

Vista Beta on the otherhand was much easier lol, and its prettier then Mac =o

quick question tho, does Ctrl Print screen work in mac, or is there another way to snag a screenie?
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Fusion »

Immortal Lobster wrote: quick question tho, does Ctrl Print screen work in mac, or is there another way to snag a screenie?
Lobbie,
I have OSX 10.3.9,(Panther) and according to my System Prefrences/Keyboard Mouse option, (Mind you this on a Mac Keyboard. You'll have to find out how to duplicate the apple button on your keyboard) these sequences is the defaults.
Capture screen to file: Apple-Shift-3
Capture screen to Clipboard: Apple-Option-Shift-3
Capture selection to file: Apple-Shift-4
Capture screen to Clipboard: Apple-Option-Shift-4

Fus
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Thanks Fus, ill try replaceing the apple with lt alt next time I boot into OS X
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Any Time Lobbie. :D Always glad to provide some Mac Tech support when I can.

Fus
Proud member of Team [RIP]